RELIGULOUS--Bill Maher

Solace

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 08:26 am
@boagie,
And you're doing it again. So anyone who disagrees with boagie is now only worthy to be laughed at. He is completely incapable of engaging in a discussion with them, he won't even reply to non-religious questions that challenge his statements, questions such as,

Quote:
Love is (very) often irrational. So should we laugh at anyone devoted to that to?

Congrats on accomplishing nothing yet again, boagie. And you've got the nerve to say someone else is ridiculous? What's the word for someone who accuses someone else of doing the exact thing that they do? Oh yeah, hypocrite.
boagie

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 08:51 am
@Solace,
Solace, Get a grip!!Smile Do you want to talk about the movie, or its trailer, then do so.

"Now, first let me just start by saying that I belong to no denomination, nor am I an athiest, agnostic, any of that. I have my own ideas on religious experiences that are too much to go into here. I also, until recently, was not a fan of Bill Maher. Recently though, after seeing this trailer, watching "Real Time", and reading some of his articles, I have to admit I've been admiring him more and more.

Can he be an *******, undoubtedly yes. An honest one though.

With all that said, I cannot WAIT for this film.

Alot of people seem to be misunderstanding this film as something that it isn't, as an insult to God. It's not from what I understand, moreso an expose on the irrational fatanicsm that can sometimes be extremely harmful to people's sense of reason and rationality, especially the people who are supposed to be governing our lives as a society. I can't wait for the dialogues that I'm sure this film will spark!

That, and I too enjoy asking the folks who wait at the train stop with 'Watchtower' issues in hand about why the Devil still exists if God is omnipotent. Most are puzzled, the others start talking about "necessary evil" and, well, I won't draw this post out any further.

Talk amongst yourselves." quote
Solace

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 08:58 am
@boagie,
Oh I see, it's okay for boagie to talk about something other than directly referencing the movie or the trailer, but it's not okay for anyone else to do it.

I'm still laughing....
boagie

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 09:12 am
@Solace,
Solace wrote:
Oh I see, it's okay for boagie to talk about something other than directly referencing the movie or the trailer, but it's not okay for anyone else to do it.
I'm still laughing....

Solace,

Take a Valium and wait fifteen minutes, then continue with your ever so impressive dialogue, I will see what I can do for you. Laughing
Justin

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 09:14 am
@boagie,
STOP! This is getting a little absurd with the going back and forth. Some posts have been disapproved because they were repeating as this were a chat. Quit bickering all of you and talk about the movie if you've seen it. If you haven't seen it, then watch it first.

I have not seen the movie but will go and see it so I can participate in this conversation. I like Bill Maher because he's a little off the wall and down to earth at the same time. There's absolutely nothing wrong with questioning the validity of Religion, it needs to be done more often.

Carry on!
0 Replies

Solace

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 09:19 am
@boagie,
Quote:

I will see what I can do for you.

No, that's the problem, you won't see what you can do. Because what you can do is answer the very reasonable questions that I posed in the previous posts, but you refuse to. So you won't see what you can do, you'll just keep treating anyone who disagrees with you derision and condescension, all the while proving yourself to be far less rational than the very people you're making fun of. I'm starting to think that there's even less hope for you than for any religious nut-job, so I'll go do something more productive with my time for a while... like burying my head in the sand.
boagie

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 12:26 pm
@Solace,
A Critque,Smile

Religulous [2008] Movie Reviews on CinemaClock

The devil made him do it!:devilish:

Here listen to the kosher version of the movie trailer, Kosher censorship!---CUTE!!

RELIGULOUS

I think this will be my last post for awhile, hardly anyone has seen the movie as it has only been out about a week. So tune in, in a week or two.
boagie

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2008 10:17 am
@boagie,
YO!Smile

Alright, this posting was a little premature, no one having seen the movie Religulous, how about now, don't philosophy geeks go to the movies, if you have seen the movie please comment pro or con!!Very Happy

Bill Maher vs the talking snake

http://media.richarddawkins.net/images/2008/religulous-poster.jpg

Would you like to swing on star, carry moom beams home in a jar, and be better off the your are, or would you rather be RELIGULOUS!!

A little entertainment while we wait, time is on our side, yes it is!!!!

YouTube - Bill Maher - Roseanne goes all out crazy on Sarah Palin

Bill Maher-Decider:Bush is the Worst President ever on Technorati
0 Replies

OctoberMist

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 05:54 am
@boagie,
The move "Religulous" is quite absurd. It only touches on the most extreme cases of fundamentalism and has no depiction or discussion of ordinary, moderate faith.

To use an analogy, this would be like making a movie about every extreme car crash and then concluding that automobile technology is inherently dangerous.

The movie is one giant logical fallacy: the Hasty Generalization.
boagie

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 06:21 am
@OctoberMist,
OctoberMist,Smile

Welcome to the forum OctoberMist, glad to see you getting your feet wet!! Well, I have not seen the movie myself, I have seen the trailer. I would think it goes without saying that it would be one sided just as any religious production is one sideded. I am curious as to your belief system, and how that might effect your interpretation, are you a believer? That is not to say that the atheist is not filtering the experience of said movie through his already established preference. Personally I find what the average Christian believer believes to be "Religulous and some of these are my closest friends. So for me ordinary moderate faith, is not a statement of sanity and is ready made for comedy. Your analogy is probable right on, because the movie is intended to underline how dangerous religion is in our time. We perhaps will get some input from others whom have seen the movie. I think if you are religious and go to see the movie, the evaluation is perdictable, we all approach these things with our own biases in place, if your making this statement and indeed you are an atheist, then we might consider it an objective view-------otherwise your just another crazy----------just kidding!!
OctoberMist

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 07:22 am
@boagie,
boagie said:

Quote:

Welcome to the forum OctoberMist, glad to see you getting your feet wet!!

I am indeed doing that. Smile

Quote:

Well, I have not seen the movie myself, I have seen the trailer. I would think it goes without saying that it would be one sided just as any religious production is one sideded.

That may be, but if so, it begs the question: how is the movie more ethical or legitimate than any actual religious film?

The impression that Bill M is trying create with the film is that his message is somehow more 'legitimate'. Yet, if he uses the same non-objective approach as the people that he opposes, then he is guilty of hypocrisy, isn't he?

Quote:

I am curious as to your belief system, and how that might effect your interpretation, are you a believer?

A "believer"? Everyone believes in something do they not? =)

If by that you mean, do I follow a religion, no I do not. I have a personal conception of God and a relationship with this God, but it does not conform to traditional depictions utilized by most existing religions. There is a touch of Sikhism, Reform Judaism, Quakerism, Unitarian Universalism, Mahayana Buddhism, and others, but no direct adherence to any per se.

Quote:

Your analogy is probable right on, because the movie is intended to underline how dangerous religion is in our time.

Therein lies another fallacy. It is not religion that is dangerous; it is unrestrained and irrational application that is "dangerous". But that's beside the point because the movie only shows more the most extreme cases of it and does not give an accurate depiction of the religions it portrays. -- AND it makes an even bigger generalization by trying to portray all religion based on a few.

Anybody who studies logic can see how this simply doesn't work. To use another analogy: This would be like showing several black murderers and then concluding: All black people are dangerous murderers.

Quote:

We perhaps will get some input from others whom have seen the movie. I think if you are religious and go to see the movie, the evaluation is perdictable, we all approach these things with our own biases in place, if your making this statement and indeed you are an atheist, then we might consider it an objective view-------otherwise your just another crazy----------just kidding!!

I know you're kidding, but it's not a question of whether one is an atheist, a theist, deist, or any of those designations. It's simply a question of logic.
=)
boagie

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 07:35 am
@OctoberMist,
OctoberMist,Smile

Well, we certainly know where you stand on this, it will be interesting to get a broad balanced consenses on this, which might be difficult to do with the number of believers here. One aspect I like about your post is it does not knock one down with its emotional investment---refreshing!!
OctoberMist

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 07:44 am
@boagie,
boagie said:

Quote:

One aspect I like about your post is it does not knock one down with its emotional investment---refreshing!!

Thank you. It's a developed skill.. It took me a bit to master it and I still have slips occasionally, but in general I try to be objective. =)
0 Replies

Solace

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 01:51 pm
@boagie,
Quote:

One aspect I like about your post is it does not knock one down with its emotional investment---refreshing!!

Because making fun of other people's beliefs ISN'T an emotional investment boagie?:sarcastic: And surely it's not about knocking others down...:whistling:
boagie

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 10:18 pm
@Solace,
Smile
Whitehead said the bible was a distinct example in all of literature, having no sense of humor. Take to church!! If you do not want your faith criticized your in the wrong place. Personally I find adults with imaginary friends humorous!!Very Happy
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 11:59 pm
@boagie,
Same Whitehead who worked with Russell? I'm not sure I'd say there is no sense of humor in the Bible, but there is certainly a dearth of humor.
0 Replies

Theaetetus

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 02:31 am
@Solace,
Solace wrote:
Love is (very) often irrational. So should we laugh at anyone devoted to that to?

I question this. Is love itself irrational or are people's conceptions of it what gives its irrational character. I am going with the latter, and, thus, I think it would be perfectly ok to laugh at people devoted to irrational foundational basis for love.

Anyway, that had nothing to do with the topic, but many something is something statements need serious examination.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 02:41 am
@Theaetetus,
Love is a large word. To discuss whether or not love is irrational we would have to define the term - do we mean romantic love? love for family and friends? or some sort of larger, humanistic love?
0 Replies

Khethil

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 07:31 am
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus wrote:
I question this. Is love itself irrational or are people's conceptions of it what gives its irrational character. I am going with the latter, and, thus, I think it would be perfectly ok to laugh at people devoted to irrational foundational basis for love.

Anyway, that had nothing to do with the topic, but many something is something statements need serious examination.

ON LOVE: If it had to be one of the two, I'd side with you.[INDENT] That being said, I'm not sure classifying Love as Rational or Not is a fair classification. Love - to me - has no basis in rationality (in the same light that love has no basis in ultraviolet light, or in peanut butter either). So to say it is or is not seems juxtaposed.
[/INDENT]ON LAUGHING: On the movie, and laughing at any "irrational basis", I think you hit on something important here.[INDENT]Occasionally, I think it a good thing to be able to laugh at some aspects of our own behaviors and beliefs. My wife's got a favorite saying along these lines: "Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they will never cease to be amused".
[/INDENT]Good stuff - Thanks
boagie

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 08:36 am
@Khethil,
Smile
Try to stay on topic guys, I know Maher's is a rub for believers. Have any of you that would sidetrack the topic seen the movie? As far as my response to OctoberMist, did you hear me give him a hard time? I would interpret his finding god through the practice of humility and compassion as coming to his full humanity, the fact that he wishes to infer an imaginary friend in high office, to me is simply his preference for the irrational, but Yeah, he was not the topic was he!