Mid-Life Crisis

Khethil

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 05:34 am
@Elmud,
I've not looked up the term nor researched the issue. But I've always taken Mid Life Crisis to be that point in someone's life where they've begun to realize their mortality; and as a result, do things that help fulfill their conception of "living full", "fancy free" or perhaps just self indulgent.

THanks
0 Replies

Bones-O

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 12:54 pm
@Aristoddler,
It sounds to me the scenario addressed in the OP is the opposite of that of a mid-life crisis. A mid-life crises arises, as others have said on this thread, out of a recognition of finitude and manifests itself in desperate attempts to realise the dreams we gave up on and fool ourselves into believing we are younger than we are and so have more time. At 37, running out of time doesn't seem the likely problem. More likely imo is that the fellow in question used to live a certain lifestyle, gave it up to accept some responsibilities, has done so for quite a time but realises that he has a long life ahead of him yet and can't accept the idea of living this current lifestyle for another 30 years. In other words, the problem is one of too much time, not too little. I've seen this many times in younger people who have worked a job or had a career for about 10 years.

The expectations we have of ourselves are not our own, but are inherited, forced upon us. Some people think they should live a certain way (the usual way) and have to fight against their desires their whole lives. I have to admit, partying is not a very high ambition but I guess to the man in question it is the acme of living life to the full.
xris

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 01:17 pm
@Bones-O,
In my sixties suffering with young Greek god syndrome can be very tiring, just hope i can party till i drop.
Elmud

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 05:13 pm
@xris,
xris wrote:
In my sixties suffering with young Greek god syndrome can be very tiring, just hope i can party till i drop.

Get some sleep Xris.
xris

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 01:28 pm
@Elmud,
Elmud wrote:
Get some sleep Xris.
Sleep its for wimps and teenage greek gods..Oh OK i might just take a little nap..I have some growing pains..
0 Replies