How we learn to make ourselves ill

rado

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 09:51 am
For adults, ideas of health and illness are intimately connected with philosophical, religious, and social beliefs. They are even more entangled with scientific concepts, and with science's views of life in general. Children, however, are far more innocent, and though they respond to the ideas of their parents, still their minds are open and filled with curiosity. They are also gifted with an almost astounding resiliency and exuberance.

They possess an innate love of the body and all of its parts. They also feel an eager desire to learn all they can about their own physical sensations and capabilities.

At the same time, young children in particular still possess a feeling of oneness with the universe, and with all of life, even as they begin to separate themselves at certain levels from life's wholeness to go about the delightful task. Seeing themselves as separate and apart from all other individuals, they still retain an inner comprehension and a memory of having once experienced a oneness with life as a whole.

At that level even illness is regarded simply as a part of life's experience, however unpleasant it might be. Even at an early age, children joyfully explore all of the possibilities of all sensations possible within their framework - pain as well as joy, frustration as well as satisfaction, and all the while their awareness is propelled by curiosity, wonder, and joy.

They pick up their first ideas about health and disease from parents and doctors, and by the actions of those people to their own discomfiture. Before they can even see, children are already aware of what their parents expect from them in terms of health and disease, so that early patterns of behavior are formed, to which they then react in adulthood.

For now, we will speak of children who possess ordinary good health, but who may also have some of the usual childhood "diseases." Later we will discuss children with exceptionally severe health conditions.

Many children acquire poor health habits through the well meaning mistakes of their parents. This is particularly true when parents actually reward a child for being ill. In such cases, the ailing child is pampered far more than usual, given extra special attention, offered delicacies such as ice cream, let off some ordinary chores, and in other ways encouraged to think of bouts of illness as times of special attention and reward.

I do not mean that ill children should not be treated with kindness, and perhaps a bit of special attention - but the reward should be given for the child's recovery, and efforts should be made to keep the youngster's routine as normal as possible. Children often know quite well the reasons for some of their illnesses, for often they learn from their parents that illness can be used as a means to achieve a desired result.

Often parents hide such behavior from themselves. They deliberately close their eyes to some of the reasons for their own illnesses, and this behavior has become so habitual that they are no longer conscious of their own intent.

Children, however, may be quite conscious of the fact that they willed themselves to become ill, in order to avoid school, or an examination, or a coming feared family event. They soon learn that such self-knowledge is not acceptable, however, so they begin to pretend ignorance, quickly learning to tell themselves instead that they have a bug or a virus, or have caught a cold, seemingly for no reason at all.

Parents frequently foster such behavior. Some are simply too busy to question a child about his own illness. It is far simpler to give a child aspirin, and send a child to bed with ginger ale and a coloring book.

Such procedures unfortunately rob a child of important selfknowledge and understanding. They begin to feel victims to this or that disorder. Since they have no idea that they themselves caused the problem to begin with, then they do not realize that they themselves possess the power to right the situation. If they are being rewarded for such behavior in the meantime, then the pressure is less, of course, so that bouts of illness or poor health can become ways of attaining attention, favorite status, and reward.

Jane Roberts, "The Way Towards health".

--
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,508 • Replies: 5
No top replies

astrotheological

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 02:40 pm
@rado,
I once threw a glass cup out the door for some reason when I was about 5 years old. Maybe I was just curious to see what would happen.
0 Replies

MITech

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 06:43 pm
@rado,
Sometimes children will avoid school because they believe in their minds that it will be too difficult. Oh no! I have a math test, I should skip school or fake being sick. So instead of trying to become successful in school, they try to become successful in being sick because in their minds it is easier to fake sick then it is to go to school.

Read my thread on Mental disorders. It might have something to do with what your saying as well.
0 Replies

shadowyxgold

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 04:42 pm
@rado,
I agree mostly, except that I think that the children are never aware of their intention to become sick. They may have thought to themselves something like, "Oh, I wish I could be sick for such and such an event," but I think that the rest would be subconscious.

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 11:21 am
@shadowyxgold,
I once faked illness a few times, but that wasn't so much a mental disorder, or a maths test, as simply the desire not to be pointlessly bored out of my head.
0 Replies

FireWalkWithMe

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 03:19 pm
@rado,
It's not something that's learned but something that we are born capable of doing. It's psychosomatic.

Personally, I become ill when I might get carried away with one symptom and it gets blown into a full blown illness. Believe strongly enough that you are seriously ill and you will, without a doubt, become very ill.
0 Replies