Do you believe in God?

kennethamy

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 06:01 pm
@gojo1978,
gojo1978;99108 wrote:
I'm not supposing anything at all, I'm just following his "logic".

Apparently nothing cannot create something.

So what created god?

The point I made was that your question supposes that God was created. How do you support that assumption?
gojo1978

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 06:07 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;99110 wrote:
The point I made was that your question supposes that God was created. How do you support that assumption?

I don't.

I would never propose something so absurd.

And as I stated before, I was merely following the previous poster's "logic"
0 Replies

ThinkinLights

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 06:12 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
no,

your right wow

i like your quote down there hunter s thompson
Gonzo journalism
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 08:41 am
@Pythagorean,
kennethamy wrote:
But if what he meant when he wrote, "God is just a word" was, that the word, "God, was just a word (as you say he did) then what is it you think he meant by that? Surely you don't think he was telling people that the word, "God" is just a word. Why would he tell anyone that?

You've never heard of that expression before? Generally if someone says, "X is just a word", they mean that there is no substance or meaning behind said word when used in a particular context. Or, it could mean that one should downplay the word, instead of placing it on a pedestal, so to say. Or, it could mean that they are acknowledging that the word has varied notions, and so the person shouldn't focus on any one notion as if it were the thing being referred to (Buddhist: Don't mistake the finger pointing at the moon for the moon). From a pacifist standpoint, it could also mean that the said word has destructive properties (or supposed destructive properties), and it would be in everyone's best interest to refrain from acting out the notion (hate, for instance). You've never heard "Hate is just a four letter word!"? In fact, I see ad campaigns (which are running currently) that keep saying, "Hate is just a word". This shouldn't be taken literally. It should be understood that these people are speaking figuratively, that they mean that people should love, not hate.

Here's an example of it's colloquial use:

Amy: Tim said he loved me today!!!
Kim: It's just a word, grow up!

In this case, Kim didn't mean that love is just a word literally. That is, she was not saying that the term "love" didn't refer to a thing (emotion). She meant that Amy was "looking too much" into the word. She was basically telling Amy to "get a grip" and stop being so emotional over Tim simply because of something he said to her. It could be inferred that she had her friend's best interest in mind, possibly because she had felt heartbreak in the past.

What DT was trying to emphasize was that "God" can mean different things for different people, and it's not always wise to focus on the word itself. Instead, one should focus on the things "God" refers to for those who are spiritual (such as love, harmony, and understanding, for instance). And it is important to note this, as there are many who tend to focus too much on loving God, or doing God's will, or fearing God, or being a part of God, or appeasing God, or God this, or God that, that they actually forget about those things which drove them into spirituality in the first place.

---

As for the rest of the thread:

How are we using "creating" here? Surely it's not like a chef creating a sea bass dish, or an architect creating the floorplans for a new house, or an artist designing and creating a sculpture, is it? No, we must mean "something coming from nothing", or whatever that means. I ask, though, why does anyone suppose this could happen? The notion of "creation" used here has never been witnessed, and we have no evidence for it existing.
kennethamy

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 09:08 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;99230 wrote:
You've never heard of that expression before? Generally if someone says, "X is just a word"

Yes, of course, I have heard the expression before. It means that there is nothing that the word denotes, or corresponds to. (Not that the word has no meaning). So, to say that "God" is just a word is tantamount to, there is no God. But did the poster mean that? He did not indicate he was talking about the word "God", by putting the word "God" into quotes, or indicating it in some way. I think he ought to make that clear. Anyway, I did mention the principle of charity. If he only means to say that God does not exist, he ought really to say so.

As for what you write about creation, to say that we have never seen any creation ex nihilo is really to beg the question, since some people point to the universe and say that is creation ex nihilo. In the second place, even if it does not happen, that does not show that it is impossible for it to happen. After all, if you insist that it could not have happened, you are inviting the question, what explains the existence of the universe?
Zetherin

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 09:33 am
@kennethamy,
You asked this, seemingly bewildered,

kennethamy wrote:

Why would he tell anyone that?

and I simply gave you reasons for why he would say that. It strikes me as odd that you would ask this question knowing what the expression meant. Perhaps you should go back to my post, pick one of the many reasons someone may use that expression, and then try to match a usage to his context. I did. Or, like you said, you can just wait for him to clarify again.

Quote:

As for what you write about creation, to say that we have never seen any creation ex nihilo is really to beg the question, since some people point to the universe and say that is creation ex nihilo.

And I don't understand why people do this. Perhaps you can explain this to me. If I pointed to the universe and said this is the case of someone vomiting (that is, someone vomited the universe out), what would I be saying? It seems just as nonsensical. What about creation ex matrix? I suppose this is a possibility also.

Quote:
In the second place, even if it does not happen, that does not show that it is impossible for it to happen.

Indeed you are correct. But we have no evidence for it happening, so we should not assume it can happen. Sure, we can entertain it's possibility, but I can also entertain the possibility that we're the product of vomit. So what? As far as I know, we have evidence that matter is never created or destroyed, things just change form. And the law of conservation of energy states that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant. But I suppose it's argued that our universe is not a closed system. In fact, it's still expanding, so it appears it may not be. But the universe's expansion does not imply "creation", whatever this would mean. I think people are taking the artifice/artificer relationship way too far.

Quote:
After all, if you insist that it could not have happened, you are inviting the question, what explains the existence of the universe?

Clearly vomit.
kennethamy

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 10:39 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;99243 wrote:
You asked this, seemingly bewildered,

and I simply gave you reasons for why he would say that. It strikes me as odd that you would ask this question knowing what the expression meant. Perhaps you should go back to my post, pick one of the many reasons someone may use that expression, and then try to match a usage to his context. I did. Or, like you said, you can just wait for him to clarify again.

And I don't understand why people do this. Perhaps you can explain this to me. If I pointed to the universe and said this is the case of someone vomiting (that is, someone vomited the universe out), what would I be saying? It seems just as nonsensical. What about creation ex matrix? I suppose this is a possibility also.

Indeed you are correct. But we have no evidence for it happening, so we should not assume it can happen. Sure, we can entertain it's possibility, but I can also entertain the possibility that we're the product of vomit. So what? As far as I know, we have evidence that matter is never created or destroyed, things just change form. And the law of conservation of energy states that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant. But I suppose it's argued that our universe is not a closed system. In fact, it's still expanding, so it appears it may not be. But the universe's expansion does not imply "creation", whatever this would mean. I think people are taking the artifice/artificer relationship way too far.

Clearly vomit.

I was wondering why, if he just meant to say there was no God, he said what he said. But, this seems to me a quibble.

The reply to the question that vomit is the cause of the universe is really just a rejection of the question, not an answer. There is a difference between rejecting a question and answering it. If you are going to reject the question, then you ought to give reasons for rejecting the question, for instance that the question is illegitimate. But you would then have to give reasons for the illegitimacy of the question. In effect, "vomit", just rejects the question without giving a reason for rejecting the question as somehow illegitimate. Perhaps it is illegitimate. Some have argued it is. But if you think it is, you ought to say why you do.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 10:50 am
@Pythagorean,
Let's focus on this first

Quote:

And I don't understand why people do this. Perhaps you can explain this to me. If I pointed to the universe and said this is the case of someone vomiting (that is, someone vomited the universe out), what would I be saying? It seems just as nonsensical.

What makes creation ex nihilo socially accepted, and something like my vomit theory, not?

The vomit answer was a joke. I don't know if the question is illegitmate, nor can I explain why something exists instead of nothing. What I'm most interested in is why people cling to this "creation" theory. I'm thinking it has something to do with religion. What do you think?

Most interestingly, if I deny this theory, I'm begging the question. However, I have no other answer, nor do I know if the question at hand is illegitimate. What should I do? I suppose just leave the thread as I cannot contribute in any manner meaningful.
kennethamy

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 03:00 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;99259 wrote:
Let's focus on this first

What makes creation ex nihilo socially accepted, and something like my vomit theory, not?

The vomit answer was a joke. I don't know if the question is illegitmate, nor can I explain why something exists instead of nothing. What I'm most interested in is why people cling to this "creation" theory. I'm thinking it has something to do with religion. What do you think?

Most interestingly, if I deny this theory, I'm begging the question. However, I have no other answer, nor do I know if the question at hand is illegitimate. What should I do? I suppose just leave the thread as I cannot contribute in any manner meaningful.

I suppose you could think about it. And not reject the question if you have no reason to. Why do you have to do anything?
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 03:59 pm
@Pythagorean,
kennethamy wrote:
And not reject the question if you have no reason to.

What are the reasons to not reject the question? Or, what are your reasons for not?
kennethamy

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 04:55 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;99317 wrote:
What are the reasons to not reject the question? Or, what are your reasons for not?

It seems to me that if you reject the question as illegitimate, then it is you who should have reasons for asserting the question is illegitimate. If I ask, for example, why water freeze at a certain temperature, and you reject the question as illegitimate, should you have some reason for doing so? Is it up to me to reject a question I am asking?
Zetherin

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 05:00 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;99323 wrote:
It seems to me that if you reject the question as illegitimate, then it is you who should have reasons for asserting the question is illegitimate. If I ask, for example, why water freeze at a certain temperature, and you reject the question as illegitimate, should you have some reason for doing so? Is it up to me to reject a question I am asking?

I am asking your reason for considering it a legitimate question. I have noted that I don't know if it's legitimate or illegitimate. I'm simply inquiring about your perspective.
kennethamy

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 05:58 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;99324 wrote:
I am asking your reason for considering it a legitimate question. I have noted that I don't know if it's legitimate or illegitimate. I'm simply inquiring about your perspective.

In fact, I think its legitimacy is questionable. But it is prima-facie legitimate.
0 Replies

Shostakovich phil

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 07:41 pm
@gojo1978,
gojo1978;99108 wrote:

So what created god?

I heard my sister ask this long ago (40+ years) ... "If God created the universe then where did God come from?"

The question is intuitive and logical. We can't just posit some Eternal Being and think we've resolved the question of why all things exist. All we've done is push ourselves to an even more difficult position to defend by leaving ourselves open to an even more difficult question. I believe this is why there can be little said against the logic of chosing atheism over theism. Had I no argument myself to defend my beliefs, I most likely would chose atheism over theism, because I find the position more easily defensible. To a theist all we need ask is this simple question: "So what created god?" And it is a very intuitive and logical question. It does not assume that something created god -what it does is press us to keep looking for a more logical answer to why all things exist. God is just a word, and nothing more, if we can't provide a meaningful definition of God; and I think this is also where atheists have the upper hand over believers, hands down.

And this is coming from someone who has an unshakable faith and understanding that there does exist a Supreme Being.
Fido

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 07:43 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;99014 wrote:
I agree (but not with your examples). But I did not maintain that all words refer to something. Far from it. I just pointed out that there is a difference between a word and whatever thing it purports to refer to, even if there is no such thing. So, when you say that God is only a word, that is false. The word "God" is only a word. And the word "God" is not God (if there is a God). You are confusing words with things, as I said. The word, "mermaid" is not a mermaid. And protons existed way before the word, "proton" existed. The word is not the thing, and conversely.

"Love" is the name of an emotion. And "shame" is the name of a feeling. But, "although" is not the name of anything since it is not a name at all.

Every word is a form...It is simply a fact that some forms are moral forms, which is to say they do not describe a finite reality... God is the ultimate of infinites, and if God were not real to people, he, or it could be easily trashed...To us, there is no difference between the thing and the name of the thing... This is why to the primitive mind, which is still our mind, the name gave power... Witness the "word" in John; or the story of rumplestilskin...If you have the name, you have the thing...
0 Replies

Johnny Fresh

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 07:49 pm
@gojo1978,
gojo1978;99108 wrote:

So what created god?

God does not need to be created because he has been around forever, you may say how is this possible. but like i said on page 60 God is without time. He lives in the past present and future and to him time is a mere physical boundary that us humans live in.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 08:01 pm
@Pythagorean,
What power has revelation to stuff a mouth with words pronounced as truth having no proof...
Johnny Fresh

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 08:33 pm
@Fido,
Fido;99353 wrote:
What power has revelation to stuff a mouth with words pronounced as truth having no proof...

Why do us as humans immediately discard the bible as proof
Aedes

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 08:45 pm
@Johnny Fresh,
Johnny Fresh;99368 wrote:
because it's arbitrary

What if I think the Poetic Edda is proof of the existence of Oden and Thor?

What if I think Hesiod's Theogony is proof of the existence of Zeus and Jupiter?

What if I think the Rig Veda is proof of the existence of Indra?

What if I think Through the Looking Glass is proof of the existence of Humpty Dumpty?

Why is your book better than my book?
0 Replies

gojo1978

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 03:25 am
@Johnny Fresh,
Johnny Fresh;99368 wrote:

Same reasons, presumably, that we discard newspapers as proof (well, the relatively intelligent ones of us do). It's just someone's thoughts and/or opinions. By what stretch of the imagination does that constitute proof? Hardly philosophical.