Do you believe in God?

Khethil

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 06:48 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;94043 wrote:
You're aware there's a such thing as an agnostic atheist and an agnostic theist, right?

Agnosticism is an epistemological position. That is, a position dealing with the knowledge of metaphysical claims (usually). Atheism and theism are positions of belief. There's a distinct difference. If you don't believe in a God, you would be considered atheist, regardless if you believe it's possible a God exists.

Thanks Zetherin, I've tried to get this important point across so many times I've virtually given up. It's a very important distinction; yet time and time again I see people mix the two up. What ends up happening is we have lots of folks running around preaching misinformation about atheists.

An atheist just doesn't happen to believe; that designation, in itself, speaks nothing to claiming any absolute knowledge.

Thanks again
Zetherin

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 07:16 am
@Khethil,
Khethil;94045 wrote:
Thanks Zetherin, I've tried to get this important point across so many times I've virtually given up. It's a very important distinction; yet time and time again I see people mix the two up. What ends up happening is we have lots of folks running around preaching misinformation about atheists.

An atheist just doesn't happen to believe; that designation, in itself, speaks nothing to claiming any absolute knowledge.

Thanks again

It's actually one of the most common misconceptions I've ever seen. The majority of people I come across don't realize the distinction, and moreover, many, as you noted, begin spreading misinformation regarding atheism. It seems to me many only address atheism these days in terms of the modern atheist movement, which is a grave, grave error. But that's a whole other discussion.

It's funny, nearly every site I've come across which allows the option to enter one's personal information, such as a dating site, makes the same error. The "religion" box will have agnosticism thrown in with atheism and all the sorts of theism.
Krumple

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 11:02 am
@William,
William;93979 wrote:
"Anyone to believe there is nothing higher than self, will always be a loner in search for something and never find it".

William

Those who can't face up to reality tend to invent invisible friends to keep themselves company.
Majic

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 11:11 am
@Pythagorean,
I agree there is no controlling god out there, but there are spirits or guides, or guardian angles, who are really the life energy or soul of people who have departed their physical bodies. These energy forms attempt to interact with humans in a helpful way. People sense them in different ways and interpret them in different ways making it difficult to investigate. Using hypnosis I have contact these energy forms on several occasions through my Subjects. So, I know, there are 'invisible friends' out there. We have to remain open to all possibilities.
0 Replies

gojo1978

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 11:14 am
@Krumple,
Krumple;94075 wrote:
Those who can't face up to reality tend to invent invisible friends to keep themselves company.

The notion of god is an anachronism.

I firmly believe that if you could conduct an experiment whereby people were born into this age of science, as normal, but it was somehow possible that religion and all established notions of a creator were able to be withheld from them, none of them would consider it for a moment, it would not enter their heads. The concept of god dates back to primitive times, pre-science, pre-technology; god is just a simple explanation for the universe, thought up by very simple, unadvanced minds. Information has progressed somewhat since then. People should really be more discerning in what they give their assent to.
0 Replies

Majic

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 11:23 am
@Pythagorean,
gogo, Scientist have also discovered most primitive societies in remote issolated groups have some kind of belief system of non-physical energy. These people didn't learn it from outside society, because they were never in touch with any. I 100% agree there is no god out there controlling things, but there seems to be a universal energy that we are all a part of.
Zetherin

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 11:46 am
@Pythagorean,
gojo1978 wrote:

The notion of god is an anachronism.

Which notion of god?

Quote:

I firmly believe that if you could conduct an experiment whereby people were born into this age of science, as normal, but it was somehow possible that religion and all established notions of a creator were able to be withheld from them, none of them would consider it for a moment, it would not enter their heads. The concept of god dates back to primitive times, pre-science, pre-technology; god is just a simple explanation for the universe, thought up by very simple, unadvanced minds. Information has progressed somewhat since then. People should really be more discerning in what they give their assent to.

I don't think this would be true. Some sort of mysticism would develop from those who take comfort, pride, or interest in unfathomable questions. Unfathomable questions considered in disciplines such as metaphysics will always be around, and superstitious minds will always be available to fit the random puzzle pieces together as they see fit. To really rid humanity of all god notions, you'd have to significantly limit our semantic capacity and imagination.
0 Replies

gojo1978

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 12:01 pm
@Majic,
Majic;94081 wrote:
gogo, Scientist have also discovered most primitive societies in remote issolated groups have some kind of belief system of non-physical energy. These people didn't learn it from outside society, because they were never in touch with any. I 100% agree there is no god out there controlling things, but there seems to be a universal energy that we are all a part of.

Yes, you said it - primitive societies.

What I'm saying is that if people were born into advanced societies, but with all notions of religion/god somehow withheld from them, in this day and age, they wouldn't think of it. At least, if they did, of their own volition, they would not take it seriously.

My very argument is that god is a product of primitive curiosity.
0 Replies

Pangloss

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 12:02 pm
@Zetherin,
Khethil;94045 wrote:

Zetherin;94050 wrote:
It's actually one of the most common misconceptions I've ever seen. The majority of people I come across don't realize the distinction, and moreover, many, as you noted, begin spreading misinformation regarding atheism. It seems to me many only address atheism these days in terms of the modern atheist movement, which is a grave, grave error. But that's a whole other discussion.

Hey guys,

This is definitely a problem, and I remember Khethil and I ran into a communication breakdown in some other thread on this issue. I definitely agree with you both that there is a distinct difference here, and I think much of the problem has to do with how atheism is defined both in common usage, and even in reputable dictionaries.

i.e., my Apple computer's dictionary widget defines "atheism" as the "belief in no God", which is quite different from Merriam-Webster online that defines it as, "a disbelief in the existence of a deity". However, Merriam-Webster also defines it (b.) as "the doctrine that there is no deity". :shocked:

These definitions get all mixed up in common usage, and then you wind up with surveys, as you noted Zethrin, that just lump everyone into a category called "Atheist/Agnostic/Non-Religious". I agree with what you both have said, but just wanted to point out that this confusion is widespread, even being found in many 'authoritative' sources.
0 Replies

xris

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 12:16 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;94043 wrote:
You're aware there's a such thing as an agnostic atheist and an agnostic theist, right?

Agnosticism is an epistemological position. That is, a position dealing with the knowledge of metaphysical claims (usually). Atheism and theism are positions of belief. There's a distinct difference. If you don't believe in a God, you would be considered atheist, regardless if you believe it's possible a God exists.
Well you define the difference in these claimed positions and i will bet you nothing divides them. Listen to those atheists who say there is no evidence and those who claim the evidence is inconclusive, it might be subtle but its there. What divides an agnostic with respect to an agnostic atheist ?
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 02:50 pm
@Majic,
Majic;94081 wrote:

Really??? If primitive peoples were never in touch with any outside societies, then where did they come from??? Or did we outsiders come from them???What you are seeing in the beliefs of the primitives is the spiritual conception of man and of mankind upon which is built our spiritual conceptions of nature, and of God...Until humanity could conceive of all reality spiritually, which is to say: Abstractly, it did not have the rational power to be considered human by any standard, and humanity was first humanity before it packed up and enveloped the world....Think of any form... Do we hold the thing, or only the spiritual conception of it in our minds??? Until we could think of abstractions like nature, or God as things in themselves though they are not, we could not think at all...
0 Replies

Majic

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 05:33 pm
@Pythagorean,
gojo wrote, "Yes, you said it - primitive societies.

What I'm saying is that if people were born into advanced societies, but with all notions of religion/god somehow withheld from them, in this day and age, they wouldn't think of it. At least, if they did, of their own volition, they would not take it seriously.

My very argument is that god is a product of primitive curiosity."
Obviously I have no proof, but I strongly feel people born in isolation of any form of spirituality, they will intuitively sense that there is more to their lives than just the physical. And they will probably distort their feelings in some kind of religion that the rest of society may accept.
I don't think it would matter if they were born in a technological society, void of any sense of spirituality, they would sense there is more.
gojo1978

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 05:41 pm
@Majic,
Majic;94136 wrote:

Obviously I have no proof, but I strongly feel people born in isolation of any form of spirituality, they will intuitively sense that there is more to their lives than just the physical. And they will probably distort their feelings in some kind of religion that the rest of society may accept.
I don't think it would matter if they were born in a technological society, void of any sense of spirituality, they would sense there is more.

I sincerely doubt that.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 10:19 pm
@Majic,
Majic;94136 wrote:
gojo wrote, "Yes, you said it - primitive societies.

My very argument is that god is a product of primitive curiosity."

I must disagree...Human beings are born into a sense of magic...There is no ratinal explanation for even a light switch that will make sense to a child as well as magic... Human beings are never successfully rescued from the spirit world...You can see fate and faith daily done battle with here... The most reasonable person often says stuff like bless you, or good luck!!! And the world has show us that even the most reasonable and scientific of peoples, as the Germans were, when reasonable in defense of their beliefs and prejudices are a plague upon humanity...We need to make our peace with ignorance, with magic, and spiritualism... We have to embrace them and learn them more fully than the face of our own mothers.. First, no art is possible without magic, and no thought is possible without forms, all of which flow out of a spiritual sense of reality...To miss what they are is to miss what we are...
Table

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 07:20 pm
@Fido,
I don't believe a God exists just because there is nothing to suggest he does. It's impossible to disapprove the existence of God because the character is completely independent of everything else. I could go out and disapprove historical claims in a religion, but the concept of an omnipotent, omniscient, invisible being who could possibly exist outside of time and space and be immune to any sort of logic is impossible to completely discredit.

But then, you don't need evidence against god's existence. I don't believe one exists because there is nothing credible to suggest he does. Now, to say with complete certainty that god does not exist is itself stupid because it's really the same "absolute" thinking as a religion (and therefore against the point of atheism), but to use this logic to argue that he exists is even more idiotic because any imaginary creature can be substituted in his place. If I were to tell you there was an invisible magic ass circling the globe and controlling everything, then through that logic you'd have to believe in him.
0 Replies

FireAndYce

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2009 08:51 am
@Pythagorean,
I was thinking on this subject the other day. Let me preface this with a definition of God that this thread will be molded around: by God I am referring to general points of agreement from various branches of Christianity, such as Catholisism, Protestant, etc.
The technicalities of these agreements are relitively unimportant as I am pondering on heaven.

There is a quote from the Matrix that goes something like, "Humans define their reality through their suffering". My curiosity is, how can Heaven, and therefor God, exist if the reality of Heaven is endless, boundless pleasure for eternity? From my understanding of the desired afterlife of Christians, it is a collection of any and every desire, absolute bliss for all of time. How can this be? I believe that good can only exist with bad, pleasure only with pain, love only with hate. Both, seemingly, have to be present to contrast the other, making it a distinct attribute. How can a perfect Utopian reality exist? This seems very similar to the writings of the late Homer, who composed many of the Greek literature of myth. Throughout, Gods are portrayed as, for lack of a better word, bored with Utopian life, and envy mere mortals.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 06:15 pm
@Pythagorean,
Marx should have said: Humans negotiate their suffering to define their reality...
0 Replies

Shostakovich phil

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 09:55 pm
@Pythagorean,
Pythagorean;2636 wrote:
Please vote above.

Please tell me if you believe in God or don't believe.

Perhaps you could give some explanation or reason for your position?

Thank you
--Pythagorean

First of all, my intuition tells me there is a Supreme Creator (helps to define what I mean by God). I also think this God is omniscient and omnipotent ... whether this God is also omnibenevolent, well ... I'll leave that rest.

Why?

I can't see the universe as being the result of an accident. That's the best science has as an explanation for its existence, and my own.

An accident that would be even less likely to occur: Drop a bunch of nails from the Empire State Building. You take the elevator down to inspect what became of them on the street. What happened? They formed themselves into a Corvette, with Elvis Presley strumming a guitar in the back seat. You think I'd believe that could happen? No. But what of the universe happening as an accident ... despite the second law of thermodynamics? What should really have happened, given no Designer, is the fireball that expanded as the big bang, should have vaporized into nothingness.

Strike a match and what does it do?

It turns into a cinder, not a box of matches.

Kick a bunch of mud and sand around and what happens?

The mud and sand remain mud and sand. The mud and sand doesn't, over time, take on life, and through some equally miraculour processes, turn into intelligent life, no matter how much kicking and messing around you might do.
Pathfinder

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 05:31 am
@Shostakovich phil,
Shostakovich;97807 wrote:
First of all, my intuition tells me there is a Supreme Creator (helps to define what I mean by God). I also think this God is omniscient and omnipotent ... whether this God is also omnibenevolent, well ... I'll leave that rest.

Why?

I can't see the universe as being the result of an accident. That's the best science has as an explanation for its existence, and my own.

An accident that would be even less likely to occur: Drop a bunch of nails from the Empire State Building. You take the elevator down to inspect what became of them on the street. What happened? They formed themselves into a Corvette, with Elvis Presley strumming a guitar in the back seat. You think I'd believe that could happen? No. But what of the universe happening as an accident ... despite the second law of thermodynamics? What should really have happened, given no Designer, is the fireball that expanded as the big bang, should have vaporized into nothingness.

Strike a match and what does it do?

It turns into a cinder, not a box of matches.

Kick a bunch of mud and sand around and what happens?

The mud and sand remain mud and sand. The mud and sand doesn't, over time, take on life, and through some equally miraculour processes, turn into intelligent life, no matter how much kicking and messing around you might do.

I agree with your intelligent design approach. It's a no-brainer as far as I am concerned. To have complexity there is a need for complex origin.

However I stop short here at trying to go any further with defining what such a creator may be. Everything is speculation.
gojo1978

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 05:49 am
@Pathfinder,
Pathfinder;97853 wrote:
I agree with your intelligent design approach. It's a no-brainer as far as I am concerned. To have complexity there is a need for complex origin.

Yes, there is.

"The big guy must have done it" is not complex. It's an incredibly simplified, anachronistic, unenlightened way of thinking about things which, let us never forget, originated thousands of years ago when science was less than a dot on the horizon.