Identifying Crystal

Roberta

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 10:00 pm
About 50 years ago, my mother bought a set of crystal glasses from a woman across the street. The woman told my mother that the glasses were Czechoslovakian crystal. I have a very complete set. Water glasses, champagne glasses, white wine and red wine glasses, etc, etc.

But I have no idea whether the glasses are in fact Czechoslovakian crystal or any other kind of crystal. If the set is worth something, I would love to sell it.

I did some poking around online (not one of my strong suits) and could find nothing.

How can I identify what these glasses are? Any suggestions?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 12,110 • Replies: 27
No top replies

Sglass

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 10:02 pm
@Roberta,
Can you show us a picture of the crystal?
Roberta

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 10:07 pm
@Sglass,
I don't have a camera. I might be able to get a friend to get a picture and post it for me.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 10:19 pm
@Roberta,
Until you're able to post a photo, take a look at the crystal in these photos to see if yours resemble these.

http://collectorswarehouse-williamstown.com/glassware.htm

And check out the several photos here (with prices) from the Czech Center Museum in Houston:

http://czechcentermuseumhouston.wordpress.com/2009/06/24/czech-crystal-on-sale/
Roberta

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 11:23 pm
@Butrflynet,
Nope and nope. I'm getting the uneasy feeling that my mother was mislead. We'll see when I can get the photo. Thanks for trying, Butrfly.
oolongteasup

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 11:32 pm
@Roberta,
Quote:
mislead

how ineffably risible
mismi

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 12:36 am
@oolongteasup,
Sometimes - I think you are a horses petoot, oolongeasup.

Roberta - try to get that picture. I bought yellow crystal the antique store said was some kind of European lead crystal. It is beautiful - fortunately - I bought it because I thought it was pretty - I expect it is of little or no value.

I hope you find yours are indeed worth what you need them to be worth.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 01:18 am
@Roberta,
In the meantime, Roberta, isn't crystal supposed to make a definite >>ping<< sound when you sort of flick it in a certain sort of way with your finger? (Or maybe that's just an Oz old wife's tale, for all I know ...)
mismi

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 01:25 am
@msolga,
I think you are suppose to be able to make ring msolga.
Roberta

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 01:26 am
@msolga,
Yes, olga. It pings. I got pinging up the wazoo here (lots of crystal). But I'm not sure that the ping I get from the glasses is the right ping.

I know nothing about this stuff.

Trying to arrange for a photo. Sheila is unavailable. She's got a camera, and she offered to take pictures if I try to sell on eBay or somewhere. But I gotta know what I'm selling.

Probably won't get much of a response to: Lots of pingy glasses for sale.
msolga

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 01:33 am
@mismi,
Oh right, Missy!
How do you make it ring, exactly?
(Then how do you know it's the right-sounding ring? Wink Confused )
msolga

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 01:38 am
@Roberta,
Quote:
Yes, olga. It pings. I got pinging up the wazoo here (lots of crystal). But I'm not sure that the ping I get from the glasses is the right ping.

Ah. You'd need someone nearby able identify the right sound!

Code:Trying to arrange for a photo.

Good idea, but now I'm wondering: can a person actually tell from a photograph (if it's crystal, or not) ? I wish I knew more about this, Roberta. Confused

We need an A2K crystal expert to advise!
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 06:22 am
Here are a couple of places it may be worth contacting. A phone call to ask if they would take a look cant hurt.

Schonbek
The company manufactures crystal chandeliers, table lamps, candelabra, sconces in colored, contemporary and mini forms.

Seguso Viro
The Seguso family has a dream to create glass objects that combine the past and present, objects that result from traditional skills and todays latest techniques. Their product line includes vases, bowls, sculptures, fish, stemware, tableware and much more. They have a New York City showroom.

Sotheby's
This is one of the worlds largest auctioneers of art and antiques. They conduct over 700 auctions worldwide in over 90 collecting categories including decorative arts, crystal, non-functional, and functional glass forms, fine art, furniture, paintings, sculpture, books, manuscripts, etc..
mismi

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 07:02 am
@msolga,
I was just agreeing with you Wink . I lick my finger and run it around the lip and it hums....Whether that makes it the right kind of crystal I just dunno.
High Seas

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 07:03 am
@dadpad,
Sotheby's wouldn't handle Czech crystal glasses - new, they cost between $20 and $30 each. You can confirm this by calling their Suzanne Harrison at 212 894 1442. Any reputable dealer in replacement crystal glasses would be interested though, if it's a pattern they're actively looking for: http://www.replacements.com/crystal/CZC.htm
msolga

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 07:05 am
@mismi,
Well you sounded very convincing to me! Wink
mismi

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 07:08 am
@msolga,
It was after 12:00PM and I had had a couple of glasses of wine - amazing how convincing I can sound in spite of my general lack of knowledge. Razz
msolga

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 07:12 am
@mismi,
Let's put it this way, mismi, I'm certain you know more about how crystal sings than I do! Very Happy

But none of this is helping Roberta, is it?
High Seas

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 07:17 am
@High Seas,
For example, the linked company is actively looking for a Czech crystal pattern named Adela (pictured on their site):
http://www.replacements.com/webquote/CZCADE.htm
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 07:25 am
@msolga,
Sorry Roberta