Title One Money for schools

Linkat

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 09:49 am
I get an email from another parent in our city. Our city is providing free lunches during the summer to any child under the age of 18. Our city has also been cutting many programs in school because of course no one can afford anything. I don't have an issue with this for two reasons - one the mayor and other involves with budgeting are actively trying to work various things out and my kids go to private school right now.

But then I hear about this free lunch - I guess this occurred last year too. You don't have to show that you are low-income, you don't even need to show you live in the city. As a matter of fact, there are people that come from other towns and one woman I know that has used this to feed the children (from other towns) that she watches over the summer.

So we find out this is Title One money from the federal government and thus not costing the city money My understanding is that Title One is supposed to be used for education purposes - like a special education program to help communities with a certain amount of low-income children.

Is anyone familiar with this program? I would like to follow up as this free lunch for all isn't really helping education in any way and from what others have told me - most going to the lunches can well afford to supply their own.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,618 • Replies: 13
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 11:10 am
@Linkat,
I've been thinking about this a bit since you posted it, hoping others would weigh in first.

I'm a huge complainer about the school system but I simply can't find it in myself to begrudge kids food because some unscrupulous adults cheat the system.

Weekends can be hard on some kids food-wise. The summers can be brutal. Putting the proper checks and balances in place might be more expensive than feeding the cheaters.
Linkat

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 11:15 am
@boomerang,
The problem with Title One is that even though it is for communities with x % low income families, they cannot give only to low income children. I would be all for supply these lunches to the same children that qualify for free breakfast/lunches during the school year due to income, but because of the way Title One is written it includes all students within the school system.

To me, I would use the Title One money for an educational program already in existence, then offer a separate lunch program during the summers strictly for those low income families that get free lunches/breakfasts during the school year. The schools already have this info so no extra paperwork to monitor. Then with the money they have left (existing program $100k - lunches $30k -rather than the 100K using for the lunches = 70k to say hire another teacher or keep the music program).
boomerang

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 11:22 am
@Linkat,
I don't disagree with you but I don't completely agree either.

I imagine it's pretty humbling to show up for free food at the school during the summer. I doubt any kid would choose to put themsevles in that position unless they just really needed to eat.

Even families that have no trouble feeding thier kids during the school year have trouble during the summer. You either have the added expense of day care of you leave your kids home alone so that you can work. Summer break is hard on a lot of kids, I'd wish they'd get rid of it.
Linkat

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 11:22 am
I want to make sure I understand the Title One money before I write and ask why they chose this program over an educational program as I understand it should be used. I looked up other schools that have this program and they use it for things like a reading program...to increase literacy.

The other thing is there are other low income programs that are provided over the summer - free camps and things that which include lunches. There is just too much abuse and with dollars short, you would want to look at each program and make sure the money is working the best and most efficient way.
Linkat

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 11:23 am
@boomerang,
Well with the numbers that show up - I can't imagine they are too humbled.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 11:33 am
@Linkat,
Here is one of the programs offerred for the summer and a quote at the end:

"No one is turned away from our GNC programs based on inability to pay. Financial assistance is available for all our YMCA camps."

Summer Day Camp

Day camp for children is the YMCA's most widely offered program nationwide. For kids, Y camp is a fun way to enjoy the summer. For families, it's a way to give children a safe, positive developmental experience.

The Neighborhood Center offers various camp activities throughout the summer.

Snacks and lunch are provided at all of our summer camps.

As you can see this is one program offered in the city and there is another larger Y center in the city center as well as this neighborhood one. This neighborhood one is in a low-income area of the city so geared towards to helping these families.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 11:46 am
I know I'm the guiltiest of the guilty when it comes to complaining about the lack of services the school offers. I'm completely worn out and bone tired of dealing with it on a personal level.

Yet I still can't begrudge kids food, even if it means feeding some cheaters.

There were some studies done not too long ago about the effect hunger has on learning. I'll try to look them up later but I (ironically) have to go to the grocery store right now.
Linkat

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 12:00 pm
@boomerang,
Please refer to above where low income children do get free lunches/snacks and free summer camp.

Also, you can switch things around if you are a bit creative to pay for lunches for low income (those qualifying during the school year) and use the difference to pay for a school program.

I certainly do not begrudge any child from getting a lunch when they need it, but at times like now, where so many programs and teachers are being cut for budget reasons - you need to be more creative on how to use the money, while supplying lunches only for those that qualify.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 03:24 pm
Y camp here starts at $155 a week. They serve two snacks a day but you have to bring your own lunch.

I totally get the anger about school funding and trying to decide where the money is best spent.
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 03:24 pm
@Linkat,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elementary_and_Secondary_Education_Act

The Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) (Pub.L. 89-10, 79 Stat. 27, 20 U.S.C. ch.70) is a United States federal statute enacted April 11, 1965. The Act is an extensive statute which funds primary and secondary education, while explicitly forbidding the establishment of a national curriculum.[1] As mandated in the Act, the funds are authorized for professional development, instructional materials, resources to support educational programs, and parental involvement promotion. The Act was originally authorized through 1970, however the government has reauthorized the Act every five years since its enactment. The current reauthorization of ESEA is the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001. The ESEA also allows military recruiters access to 11th and 12th grade students' names, addresses, and telephone listings when requested.

Title I ("Title One") of the Act is a set of programs set up by the United States Department of Education to distribute funding to schools and school districts with a high percentage of students from low-income families.

To qualify as a Title I school, a school typically has around 40% or more of its students that come from families that qualify under the United States Census's definitions as low-income, according to the U.S. Department of Education. [2]

Schools receiving Title I funding are regulated by federal legislation, including the No Child Left Behind Act.

Title I funds may be used for children from preschool through high school, but most of the students served (65 percent) are in grades 1 through 6; another 12 percent are in preschool and kindergarten programs.

http://www2.ed.gov/programs/titleiparta/index.html

http://www2.ed.gov/programs/titleiparta/legislation.html

(There are links on the legislation page to specific language in the letters referred to below.)

Quote:
# February 20, 2003 - Joint Education/Agriculture letter providing guidance on implementation of the new requirements of Title I, of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act, as reauthorized by the No Child Left Behind Act, by schools that operate school lunch programs under Provision 2 and Provision 3 of the National School Lunch Program.

# December 17, 2002 - Joint Education/Agriculture letter about the use of student information collected pursuant to the National School Lunch Program in carrying out provisions of Title I

Here is the reference in the 2003 letter referred to above:

Quote:
For many LEAs, information from the National School Lunch Program is likely to be the best, and perhaps the only, source of data available to hold schools accountable for the achievement of "economically disadvantaged" students, and also to identify students as eligible to receive supplemental educational services or to receive priority for public school choice. Moreover, in the case of the priority for public school choice and eligibility for supplemental educational services, the law specifically requires LEAs to use the same data they use for making within-district Title I allocations; historically, most LEAs use school lunch data for that purpose. As we outlined in our original letter, school lunch data may be used for these purposes. However, using school lunch data in schools that have implemented Provision 2 or 3 of the school lunch program poses issues that require further explanation, because these schools do not determine free and reduced price lunch eligibility on an annual basis.

The National School Lunch Act allows schools that offer students lunches at no charge, regardless of individual students’ economic status, to certify students as eligible for free and reduced price lunches once every four years and longer under certain conditions. These alternatives to the traditional requirements for annual certification, known as "Provision 2" and "Provision 3," reduce local paperwork and administrative burden. The school lunch regulations prohibit schools that make use of these alternatives from collecting eligibility data and certifying students on an annual basis for other purposes. This prohibition has raised issues about how such schools can obtain the data they need to disaggregate Title I assessment data, identify students as eligible for supplemental educational services, and determine which students receive priority for public school choice, all of which Title I requires be done annually.
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 03:39 pm
@Butrflynet,
It sounds to me like the school district is trying to pad their Lunch Program numbers so they can improve their No Child Left Behind numbers.
Linkat

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 10:36 am
@boomerang,
Yes Y camp does cost - for the average Joe like me (my daughter has attended before - but I can't afford it on a regular basis) however, they offer it free to low income families. I believe most Ys do. I have given the Y donations in the past because they offer things to low income - free child care/afterschool care and memberships.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 10:47 am
@Butrflynet,
I did get alot of that information - Yes it does sound like that- they are using it to pad for more money. I do know that you have to qualify for the free lunch program during the school year. Of course, I really don't know the particulars surrounding it.

I also found out there is a Summer Food service program - this is federally funded through the USDA and Project Bread also helps out with this program - it is the exact description that was given on our local city and the same sites.

I think that the school committee member that said it was Title One money was confused. I also found out that the city does have many educational programs as a result of Title One.

It looks like this is more an uninformed school committee member rather than using the Title One money for the wrong purpose.
0 Replies