1

Get Out Your Ice Cream Machine or Buy One

ossobuco

1  
Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2012 04:25 pm
@plainoldme,
mmmmm, blueberry sherbet..

edit - I made orange panna cotta today. Well, sort of. I only had one biggish orange so I added some pineapple juice. Didn't use cream, but half and half.
Haven't tasted it yet. Not ice cream, but sometimes panna cotta is a treat to me.

plainoldme

1  
Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 10:32 am
Making peach ice cream today.

ossobuco

1  
Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2012 02:36 pm
Ok, ok, I've finally made a gelato I love - and it's the easiest recipe yet.

Interesting website, I need to study it more -
http://theitaliandishblog.com/imported-20090913150324/2011/2/8/chocolate-gelato.html

Anyway, the recipe is the second one, Gelato Siciliano, originally from Saveur.
It was very simple, as simple as it looks. I tasted it first, having to, ya know, clean the machine, tasted ok.... and then froze two pints. Tried it some bunch of hours later and it was beyond terrific.

What did I do differently (I always do something differently) - I added 1 tsp of vanilla and 1 tsp (since I still have some) of almond flavoring and, at the end of the churn, about 1/4 cup of chopped almonds. I didn't sift the baking cocoa, having thrown away my sifter several years ago. I also didn't use the very best great chocolate company cocoa - just the cheapest in the baking aisle.
I did refrigerate it over night but think it might not have needed all that long - it was just convenient for me.

It's just like, or near like, the real thing. And didn't involve that whole egg custard business.
ossobuco

1  
Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2012 06:31 pm
@ossobuco,
Bump

ossobuco

1  
Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2013 06:05 pm
So now I'm trying to do this using near antique Ibarra chocolate (15% cocoa solids but quite sweet), some added unsweetened cocoa from a tip by David Lebovitz in his mexian hot chocolate recipe, and not use eggs but cornstarch as in the sicilian recipe I'll link.

This could turn out easy and good or maybe not. I may need to put the antique Ibarra chocolate in the food processor, which is a pain in my view. (So far, not)

see the second recipe

David's take on mexican hot chocolate -
http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2011/02/mexican-hot-chocolate-recip/

We'll see.
ossobuco

1  
Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2013 06:17 pm
@ossobuco,
So far,

I'm using half and half and water to get three cups of milk.
I'm using the quite old disc of Ibarra chocolate in the milk - I know I bought it in California -
plus the suggested usefulness, re David Lebovitz, for more intense chocolate by adding
1/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa to the milk as well.
Am adding no sugar since the mexican chocolate disc is sweet
Am supposed to, by the sicilian recipe, be adding two tablespoons of cornstarch. OK.

It's perking. Just checked, it all seems blended. Will wait a bit.

Soon I'll need my ice cream maker - which is the best thing I've bought myself in years. It was $40 something dollars on amazon, a cuisinart automatic frozen yogurt ice cream and sorbet maker. Doesn't take up all that much room relative to how easy and good it is. That was a few years ago now - prices may have changed.

Sanjeev Agrwal

0  
Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2015 05:20 am
Sorbet is good for the lactose intolerant because it is just fruit and sugar. In fact, if you have good lemonaide, like Trader Joe's or Whole Foods, you can just pour it right in the freezing container and turn the machine on.

Abhibhava Ubriani

0  
Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2015 05:14 am
@plainoldme,
surely i will try to follow all these recipe, all these are really amazing.

Abhibhava Ubriani

0  
Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2015 10:55 pm
I make a sugar-free soft serve type ice cream using coconut milk. I add a scoop of good tasting protein powder (I like Jay Robb; any flavor) and eat the whole thing, winter or summer. Really low carb, but filling.
ossobuco

2  
Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2015 11:12 pm
@Abhibhava Ubriani,
Why would we listen to you, after you spamming this site?

ranjeet80

1  
Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2015 04:44 am
@plainoldme,
I have one ice cream maker but I don't use that as it takes a lot of time and sometimes the correct balance of ingredient does not fit good. So i just flow money and save time by buying quality flavored creamy ice cream from my favourite shop mental.

ranjeet80

1  
Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2015 04:47 am
@plainoldme,
I have one ice cream maker but i don't use that, as it need time and patience and moreover the perfect balance of all ingredient is needed. so I just flow money and save time by buying perfect flavored creamy ice cream from my favourite mental shop.