Can science be spiritually satisfying?

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 02:32 pm
It seems strange to propose that science can satisfy spiritually, since science and spirit seem antithetical. But I'm not sure they are [antithetical].

To me, knowing that life and thought, come about in this Universe merely as an expression of the Universe itself, is a far more compelling and elegant idea than believing that these things are imposed onto the Universe as a non-natural part of it.

Many people see science as a cold and heartless aspect of human thought, but through it, we are finally beginning to really understand the Universe, and our place in it. For spiritual significance, can anything else really compare?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,514 • Replies: 10
No top replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 02:39 pm
So far as I've always understood it, a "spiritual" experience mostly refers to the visceral realization of how much is not known -- mystery, and all that. Since any serious study of science brings one rapidly to that point (they're just now starting to figure out how ion gating works!), I don't see how it couldn't bring about a similar experience. And, to me, the refusal of science to assign authorship of all this unknown to some anthropomorphized deity makes the hairs on my neck stand up that much more when I come up against it. (Like, I understand how four nucleotides strung together can encode all the information for all this life around me, but it's -- how does that happen? It blows my mind, I know that.)

Or were you looking for more intelligible discourse?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 02:59 pm
Hi Patiodog, always a pleasure to hear from you Smile

Hmmm, I guess I should take a moment to figure out (even for myself) exactly what I mean by "spiritual" feeling.

For me, I'm not sure it comes from realizing how much I don't know, but instead from recognizing the implications of what we do know (and I'm not talking about absolute knowledge, but about knowing beyond a reasonable doubt, and within the limitations of the philosophy I follow).
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 03:15 pm
Quote:
For me, I'm not sure it comes from realizing how much I don't know, but instead from recognizing the implications of what we do know (and I'm not talking about absolute knowledge, but about knowing beyond a reasonable doubt, and within the limitations of the philosophy I follow).

The hackles, or the spiritual angle? (I'm only a lay-person on both fronts, so I'm not exactly prepared to step into the pulpit.)
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 03:16 pm
For me, science is spiritual in the same way that some find studying a religion is spiritual. It is the process of getting there that makes it spiritual and achieves similar emotions and thirst for knowledge.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 03:29 pm
Hey Rosborne

I've often observed that I see some people treating "science" as a religion -- and accepting an awful lot of what "science" offers up -- on blind faith. (All of which reminds me of you know what and you know who!!!!)

And I can honestly say that I know several individuals (atheists) so enamoured of science (and their atheism) -- that the only way I can describe what I see in them when waxing on this issue -- is a kind of spirituality.

Interesting question.

I'll follow the responses closely.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 03:33 pm
Quote:
And I can honestly say that I know several individuals (atheists) so enamoured of science (and their atheism) -- that the only way I can describe what I see in them when waxing on this issue -- is a kind of spirituality.

So far as I can tell, when people describe "spirituality" they are describing a particular emotional response to a set of stimuli; and, hell, if you can't wax that way about something, what's the point of walking around on two legs?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 03:48 pm
patiodog wrote:
Quote:

So far as I can tell, when people describe "spirituality" they are describing a particular emotional response to a set of stimuli; and, hell, if you can't wax that way about something, what's the point of walking around on two legs?

I agree -- and I hope I didn't give the impression in what I said that I thought there is anything wrong with it.

You ought to see how spiritual I get about the beauty of a golf course.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 03:50 pm
(I learned to appreciate golf courses a little ore when I found out they watered with the water in the water hazard. Water water...)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 03:53 pm
bm
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 03:56 pm
Er, much like "sweet" means "candy" in Oz, "bm" means "bowel movement" in the United States and elsewhere. Please be more careful with your language. (God, what a time waster this machine is....)
0 Replies