Will the European Union Survive?

hawkeye10

Sat 22 May, 2010 01:48 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Surprising, most forget that their was (and still is - as e.g. in relation with the UK) the European Currency Unit (ECU) .... since 13 March 1979.
Functionally it was not until the advent of the Euro that Germans lost control of their currency. The Euro was much more than a symbol of EU unity.
0 Replies

hamburgboy

Sat 22 May, 2010 01:49 pm
@hawkeye10,
the euro is trading at about u.s. dollar 1.20 - down somewhat but long-term the euro is up from about 8o cents u.s.
that a pretty good run-up imo .

for some background see :

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN2121000120100521

Quote:
On Friday, the euro EUR= EUR=EBS climbed as high as $1.2673 on electronic trading platform EBS in early trade. It last traded at $1.2565, up 0.8 percent on Reuters data.

It tumbled as low as $1.2143 earlier this week after Germany banned naked short selling in some securities, fuelling speculation about other possible market regulations.

The euro is poised to end the week roughly 1.7 percent higher against the dollar, following five weeks of losses.
Walter Hinteler

Sat 22 May, 2010 01:51 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Exactly, and what do you expect normal germans to think, the ones who are seeing huge cuts in their pensions and overall government support due to lack of funds?

You seem to know a lot about life here.

Can you name a single person who got a cut in his/her pension?

I mean, I live here, know quite a bit about this and that, but I've never heard of such.
georgeob1

Sat 22 May, 2010 01:56 pm
@Francis,
Well I did pique your interest. Cool
I agree the cost of European state welfare programs was generally higher than the cost of their NATO committments. However, considering the shortfall of military spending relative to the NATO committments was about 1.5% of Gross Domestic Product, that was indeed comparable to the cost difference between the American and European models of social welfare. I believe the financial basis for my comment was sound.

The confrontation with the Soviet Empire was nearly global, and any war with them would necessarily involve Europe. We didn't have the ability to protect ourselves without also protecting Europe - and neither did Europe. That was the point of NATO. All of our defense budget served ourselves and our NATO allies. The rapid regeneration of Western European economies during the 1950s was significantly enabled by the American defense shield and our (relatively) free trade policies.

I recall some opinions I expressed at the start of the Iraq war that later proved to be flawed or wrong. However, I don't recall any inaccuracies in my comments about the actions or motives of the then French government.

It is indeed true that I am trying to pique and reveal the truth to friends here.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Sat 22 May, 2010 02:11 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Can you name a single person who got a cut in his/her pension?

I mean, I live here, know quite a bit about this and that, but I've never heard of such.

Quote:
Germans now face several years of belt-tightening, with Roland Koch, the deputy leader of chancellor Angela Merkel's Christian Democratic Union (CDU) party and the minister-president of the state of Hesse, saying that no areas "can be considered taboo".

Tax cuts that were promised by Merkel's government when it came into office in October have now been scrapped, the chancellor announced this week. Instead, policymakers are now talking of raising taxes to fill a €10bn fiscal gap.

Economists are advising the government to raise reduced VAT levels on items such as books. Friedrich Heinmann from the ZEW institute said: "If the government increased VAT on items that currently enjoy a reduced rate, such as hotels, theatres, books and newspapers, it would glean €8bn; otherwise it will be forced to raise the current VAT rate [of 19%]."

Experts are warning that inflation is likely to rise owing to the euro's recent fall in value against other major currencies, which will eat into wage rises and pensions.

"We can expect inflation to rise sharply over the next few years," said economist Hans Wolfgang Brachinger. "The euro is losing its value, and consumers will have to dig deeper in their pockets as a result".

Municipalities, many of which are already bankrupt or nearing bankruptcy, are also likely to see their budgets slashed. This will lead to the closure of facilities such as swimming pools and a lack of money for road repairs and other infrastructure. Michael Fuchs, the CDU's deputy parliamentary group leader, said: "Every single type of subsidy now has to be examined closely".
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/may/12/germany-budget-cuts-eurozone

Massive cuts to your standard of living are on the way......time to wake up buddy boy....
hawkeye10

Sat 22 May, 2010 02:14 pm
@hamburgboy,
Quote:

the euro is trading at about u.s. dollar 1.20 - down somewhat but long-term the euro is up from about 8o cents u.s
the currency speculators have not made up their minds who is failing faster, the US or the EU...what is your point??
0 Replies

hamburgboy

Sat 22 May, 2010 02:19 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
the euro's recent fall in value against other major currencies

well , the euro has risen from 80 cents to $ 1.20 against the the u.s. dollar , hasn't it ?

see my earlier post from reuters .

of course , i'm looking at the long-term trend .
----------------------------------------------------------------

my point is that the long-term trend for the euro seems to be UP !

am i wrong ?
Walter Hinteler

Sat 22 May, 2010 02:34 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Massive cuts to your standard of living are on the way......time to wake up buddy boy....

Well, when you quote THE hardliner of the conaservatives ...

But again: you said that there have been massive cuts in pensions.

When and where was that again?
hawkeye10

Sat 22 May, 2010 02:34 pm
@hamburgboy,
Quote:
my point is that the long-term trend for the euro seems to be UP !

am i wrong
I'd say the long term trend is lack of stability in all currencies, but you are right that if you take a multi-year view the Euro is pretty high at the moment. Given that this threat topic is questioning whether the EU itself has a future is not cause for optimism about the future of the Euro however.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Sat 22 May, 2010 02:43 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
But again: you said that there have been massive cuts in pensions.

When and where was that again?
Quote:
At the start of this year, the Federal Labor Agency had a surplus of €17 billion. It is now estimated that the agency will require additional funds of €15 to €20 billion by the end of 2010. For 2009 alone, the agency can reckon with an operational deficit of approximately €14 billion, according to one official source. The country’s health insurance funds also predict ballooning deficits estimated at up to €13 billion by the end of 2010.

According to press reports, Treasury experts estimate that shortfalls in revenue for all regional administrative bodies (federal, state and local) will total over €300 billion in the coming three years.

The federal government alone is expected to rack up debts of €50 billion"more than any preceding government. A large portion of the government’s investment in its economic stimulus package and its bank rescue plans are not included in this total. Both have been hidden in subsidiary budgets. For next year, the government is already reckoning with new debt levels totaling up to €80 billion.

Reflecting on this state of affairs, the Süddeutsche Zeitung commented in an article entitled “The Third Phase of the Crisis” that there was a strange contradiction between the economic crisis and its perception by the public. Currently, the population has accepted the situation with remarkable calm. Everything has remained peaceful in Germany, but this peace will soon be over, the newspaper predicted

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2009/may2009/germ-m07.shtml

Public pensions were cut in the reform of 2001, and even those reduced costs are not sustainable. However, I seemed to have assumed that the German government was more responsible than it has been...it appears that the cuts in pension have not taken place yet. There have been massive cuts in all sorts of other social service program, and in the city administration budgets. The overall point that Germans are well aware that the money is running out at the very same time that Beggar nations such as Greece are hitting you up for huge loans that they will never pay back is valid. You are quibbling with details...could it be because you know deep down that my general point is valid?
Walter Hinteler

Sat 22 May, 2010 02:54 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Public pensions where cut in the reform of 2001, and even those reduced costs are not sustainable.

Untrue. The 2991 and 2005 'pension' reform ("Rentenreform" - the German 'Rente' shouldn't be confused with the German 'Pension') started a system changing transformation process but was not about cuts (though few might have had little cuts).

The 'Pensions' (= pensions for civil servants and employees, and other with equivalent tariffs) rose, slowly, but they rose. (More than the 'normal' rents.)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Sat 22 May, 2010 02:57 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
You are quibbling with details...could it be because you know deep down that my general point is valid?

No. I don't think your points are valid - actually, I didn't see a "general" point.

You are throwing in untrue details. I'm just trying to get that right.

hawkeye10

Sat 22 May, 2010 03:09 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I suppose that now you will also claim ignorance about the whole German pension problem as well, ??

Quote:
Underlying these comments and others that followed in a succession of headlines lies Germany’s demographic time-bomb. With one of the world’s oldest populations and a birth rate among Europe’s lowest, the theory goes, benefits will have to be cut as the number of contributors to the pension system falls and the number of recipients rises.

There is a possible alternative " but it would involve substantial tax hikes at a time when the opposite is in vogue. With companies are all too eager to move to countries with low taxes, cheaper labour, and fewer questions asked about social responsibility, a tax hike of this order looks like a no-starter for politicians trying to keep the economy competitive.

Thus arises the question of fairness between generations, or Generationengerechtigkeit. Why should this generation of workers pay for relatively lavish packages next to which their own retirement will probably pale in comparison? How fair can such a system be? Steinbrueck himself has said: “The ones being pinched are the 25- to 35-year-olds who want to have children.”
http://blogs.reuters.com/macroscope/2009/07/14/death-not-an-option-for-german-pension-debate/
Walter Hinteler

Sat 22 May, 2010 03:16 pm
@hamburgboy,
I remember that we had had such discussion on ABUZZ and in the early days of A2K, with a tendency that 1$ = 1€ would be the correct value ...

http://i47.tinypic.com/20jmzs.jpg
http://i48.tinypic.com/xc8x20.jpg

Source

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Sat 22 May, 2010 03:24 pm
@hawkeye10,
Well, my mother, who died just a couple of days ago, got an increase of her pension (widow pension = 60% of my father's original pension) during the last eight years of nearly exactly 400€.
That was actually a decrease - if you take into consideration that her health insurance went up, prices generally went up etc.

And in percentage, it wasn't more than nearly 3% p.a. .
Her additional (actually father's) private pension stayed the same during all that period.

Well, it is a problem: we were used 4.5% and more increase for pensions a couple of years ago.
And didn't have to pay for health care at all. And the pension was totally tax-free. And you got three month pension .... after the month of death plus a paid funeral by the health insurance. And ...

Do you still have such with the $?
Walter Hinteler

Sat 22 May, 2010 03:26 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:

Thus arises the question of fairness between generations, or Generationengerechtigkeit. Why should this generation of workers pay for relatively lavish packages next to which their own retirement will probably pale in comparison? How fair can such a system be? Steinbrueck himself has said: “The ones being pinched are the 25- to 35-year-olds who want to have children.”

I think that really is THE question .... about the last 130 years. It's how our system worked all that time.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Sat 22 May, 2010 03:29 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Given Germany's now declining population and continuing very low birth rate, together with the new requirement to supplement the finances of Greece and possibly Spain and others, how long do you believe these generous benefits will last?

Actually they aren't "benefits" at all. The government merely gives you back some of the money it takes away in much higher taxes on everything you earn and on everything you buy. The loss of your freedom to choose for yourself, is, of course not compensated.
Walter Hinteler

Sat 22 May, 2010 03:39 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Given Germany's now declining population and continuing very low birth rate, together with the new requirement to supplement the finances of Greece and possibly Spain and others, how long do you believe these generous benefits will last?

Actually they aren't "benefits" at all. The government merely gives you back some of the money it takes away in much higher taxes on everything you earn and on everything you buy. The loss of your freedom to choose for yourself, is, of course not compensated.

I think that the declining population is a general problem.

The major problem is that we got from one day to the other 17 million new citizen who paid nothing, not a pfennig or a cent in our system, but got out of it the very same as if they had paid.

Certainly, those are no benefits in the actual sense of the word.
Our mothers and fathers or our grandfathers in my generation paid the money we get now.

What such has to do with a "loss of freedom" is something I'll never will understand.
Walter Hinteler

Sat 22 May, 2010 03:43 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

I don't really know if that is true.
'Normal' pensions are automatically withdrawn from the salary.

Civil servants don't see that money at all - they get a -kind of- lower salary.

I know that the the current working generation will only receive a small fraction of the money it pays in today.
But it's not an insurance - it's a "Generationsvertrag" as is it correctly named in the quote above.

This is an essay from 2003, but it gives a good idea about our system
0 Replies

georgeob1

Sat 22 May, 2010 05:00 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

I think that the declining population is a general problem.
It is a general problem only in Europe where about eight countries, Germany included, have declining total populations. Moreover the European population is ageing fast. The median age in Germany is about seven years greater than here and the ratio of the percent of the population older than 65 to that younger than 14 is more than double the ratio here. Germany will simply be unable to continue its intergenerational wealth transfers much longer.

Walter Hinteler wrote:

What such has to do with a "loss of freedom" is something I'll never will understand.

It means that you have sacrificed the right to chose for yourself in exchange for guarantees from your government that, because of the demographic situation, it will soon be unable to keep.
0 Replies