Question about Wicca...

chemist

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 06:37 pm
I'm having a hard time taking Wiccans seriously. Can someone please explain this religion and its history to me?

And no, this is not a loaded question.

Thanks Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,820 • Replies: 31
No top replies

roger

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 07:06 pm
Can't help at all, chemist. The very few members I've known seem much more involved in a role playing game than practicing a religion.

Oh, have me pecked to death by ducks, but that's my feeling.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 07:11 pm
I get the same feeling, roger. I don't doubt there are people out there who are more serious about it, but they aren't advertizing.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 07:44 pm
some of those wicca mammas are hotties
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 09:34 pm
and they often dance naked at their ceremonies..

Here is a fairly decent source of info:

http://www.witchrealm.net/what.html
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 01:01 am
Well, it is a religion, and it does have a spiritual basis and a set of laws and so forth, despite its lack of historical basis. A lot of teenagers these days are doing it just because it's different, and it's not what their parents want, but for a lot of serious people, it's a real religion. Sorry, I don't have any websites to recommend about it. I have read a really good book about Wicca, but I can't remember the name. I've got it written down somewhere - I'll find it and come back to this thread. Though, as I said, there's no historical parallel, the ideology is based on Celtic pre-Christian nature- and faerie-worshipping religions, though the rituals are a lot more modern. There's also some vestiges of Eastern philosophy in it.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 01:33 am
Ahhh! Found it.

Witch Crafting by Phyllis Curott

If you really want to know what Wicca is about, read that.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 07:18 am
Don't have any Wiccan teenagers around, so I can't share any first hand information. Found this though. Seems pretty complete:

http://www.religioustolerance.org/witchcra.htm
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 01:27 pm
I just bought Witchcraft for Dummies at a garage sale the otherday. From what I can see, witchcraft is what ever you want it to be. You can choose which ever goddesses you want to 'pray?' to, from Eastern, Egyptian, Greek and Celtic deities or all of the above. It's an earth based religion with your own twist.
Ceili
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 04:25 pm
Ceili wrote:
I just bought Witchcraft for Dummies at a garage sale the otherday. From what I can see, witchcraft is what ever you want it to be. You can choose which ever goddesses you want to 'pray?' to, from Eastern, Egyptian, Greek and Celtic deities or all of the above. It's an earth based religion with your own twist.
Ceili

Indeed. the popularity among teens may derive from Willow, on Buffy.
AS for the "hot wiccans," Most I've met have been rather, shall we say, supersized. Confused
0 Replies

chemist

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 01:03 pm
Interesting! I haven't met any attractive wiccans either.

But its interesting to know that its just recently made up... supposedly anyway.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 01:09 pm
It seems to have originated along with spiritualism and theosophy ad neo-druidism in the late 19th century. Then it was shaken upo a bit in the 1970s with a large dose of feminism. I recall reading a bokk caled "Drawing Down the Moon" when I was but a wee lad and not understanding what these proto-new agers had to do with witches!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 04:20 pm
I'm not sure about other areas but there is a large Wiccan presence here in Greater Boston. Most of those that I've run into tend to be 30-something single women although I have run into few older and a few younger.

For the most part they don't advertise much and they keep to themsleves about their bidness.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 04:24 pm
Drawing Down the Moon was a pivotal book, in terms of modern Wicca. Read it as a lad meself.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 04:34 pm
fishin' wrote:
I'm not sure about other areas but there is a large Wiccan presence here in Greater Boston. Most of those that I've run into tend to be 30-something single women although I have run into few older and a few younger.

For the most part they don't advertise much and they keep to themsleves about their bidness.

Are they cute? Please provide photographic evidence!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 06:07 pm
hobitbob wrote:
Are they cute? Please provide photographic evidence!

No way. The pentagram crowd is all mine! lmao
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 10:17 pm
I like it's very loose basis in natural remedies. It's always good to have someone keeping tabs on that stuff.
0 Replies

yeahman

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2003 05:34 am
had a bunch of them at my high school though they seems to practice rastafarianism too. :wink:
0 Replies

jackturton

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 05:40 pm
lol x x
lol this is a good disscusion i have a 32 year old freind who is into all the white witch stuff she is convinced so how many beleive in it then ? i am more into my Tarot cards myself and love them they teach you to focus and can put your mind at ease . so is it aaa religion or fad then x x x
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 05:58 pm
Religion really is what you make of it, and what you put into it, should you choose to put anything into a religion at all. Wicca, IMO, is as valid as Catholicism, if you put your all into it. I just don't happen to be a religious person. I prefer to direct my energies into real life. I already know what is important to me, no need for freaky spirits, rituals and other crutches. However, I would never deny anyone the right to pursue that path. There was a time when I researched every religion I could find, including the mystics of all of them. In the end, I found that the message of all was the same, and the animosities just politics. I took the message, and left the politics behind.
0 Replies