How Polluted is Your Area?

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2002 04:50 pm
(This thread was filched from another web forum, which shall remain nameless!) Laughing

How polluted is your area? What is your risk of disease caused by pollution? This site gives you a lot of facts, and is divided by zip codes:

Link to Pollution site
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,666 • Replies: 35
No top replies

BillW

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2002 05:03 pm
I'm lucky, I be good. Of course, that is the one of the main reasons I choose to live where I do!
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2002 10:35 pm
The Dallas/Fort Worth MetroPlex is one of the worst in the nation. Almost every day this summer was code red, some code orange, and believe it or not we had a code purple. But the sky remains blue and clear so what is poisoning the air here cannot be seen or smelled. Unlike LA where the pollution mixes with fog to create smog and in D.C. the pollution is very bad in the summer. In Washington the smog does show though, I guess it is the humidity, the sick thing about D.C. is there is no industry there all of the pollutants come from cars.
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2002 10:45 pm
Hmm, I smell somethin' allright, but I don't think it is the pollution.

I'm with Bill, though, which is also why I live here!
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 08:43 am
Max's dad, If my memory serves me, the Quad Cities is the only air quality non-attainment area in the state of Iowa. I'll go see if I can find out more information.
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 09:02 am
Swimpy: You are correct maam, but I live on the other side of the Great River, dontchaknow!
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 09:07 am
Probably the MOST polluted in the nation: Houston, TX.

We go back and forth with LA. Bet the exacta.

I used to work near one of the Superfund's top sites, a place where a nearby subdivision reported a high incident of birth defects that was traceable to some chemical leeching into the water table.

That's when I started drinking bottled water exclusively--it was about 10 or so years ago.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 09:15 am
Talk about area pollution. I can remember in Chicago, when the Stock Yards were in full operation. What a stink in the air and what a red fog hung over the South Side in those days. Peer out the window of a bus, down by 35th and State and look straight into the eyes of cattle being driven to the yards. Wow! What glorious summer days! Heat and stink!

What an odor!

Remember, the Indiana steel mills were also in operation at that time, puffing away, pouring forth air contaminants by the zillions.

Cows and steel! Drunk
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 09:25 am
Nice clean air here folks.
Little country,little capital.Thousands of healthy cyclists.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 09:36 am
Well, my area appears to be at greatest risk from "Atmospheric Ozone Depletion". We don't even HAVE a "Superfund" site! Of course, this county only has one stoplight, and that's over 25 miles from me, only been installed for a bit more than a year ... and spends most of its time blinking red in all four directions. There are lots of reasons we love it here.

timber
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 10:40 am
Mass is pretty good...as are all the neastern seaboard states. Must be the air currents.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 12:47 pm
I live in a spa - visitors have to pay here for breathing! Laughing

(Honestly, it's called "Kurtaxe" = a visitor's tax in spas coastal ressorts and similar.)
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 12:58 pm
Walter
You live in a spa??? Don't you get all white and wrinkly after a bit? Razz

It can get a bit polluted here - Sydney sort of sits in a basin.

The big problem at present is the bushfires. The wind is keeping the smoke out of the city area today, but if the wind changes, we get some awful pollution - and some weird coloured skies.

Bring on the rain!!!
0 Replies

Smitty

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2002 01:07 am
I fortunately live in Canada & picked this place back in 1963. It is the Okanagan Valley of B.C. & is basically at the south central part of this province. Basically a farming community of orchardists, some cattle, & lumbering. Could not stand city life I was born & brought up in so moved lst to Banff, Alberta where I set up a sport shop for mountaineering & skiing then moved out to hear some 9 yrs later as the tourists sort of went against my grain.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2002 01:47 am
Hmmm. In another discussion, we discussed profiles. What you just wrote would be a great profile entry. Just copy it, go to profile as described, and paste it in.

Edited for spelling.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2002 12:10 pm
Welcome aboard Smitty!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2002 12:37 pm
Not that bad in Seattle, in spite of recurring efforts to squash any sort of viable public transit. I think the only way to get it done is to have everybody pay for their own stuff, which means we pay for our monorail -- and all those rural folks get to pay for their own highways.

We'll see who's crying then...
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2002 05:46 pm
The Land of Enchantment is pretty good. Suits me up and down. The snow today on the Sandias is down to around 7000 ft, but normally we can see for fifty miles. Compared to where we lived in L.A., this is pristine.
0 Replies

Smitty

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2002 06:58 pm
We should have had snow at the 7,000' level for some time & also a bit on the roads, but no snow up at the hills top altitudes or on the hwys or streets that stuck. True a bit might hit in the evening, but by noon it would be gone--yet even that was rare. Strange for this part of the Okanagan Valley of B.C. Cdn. Skiing people are frothing at the bit but worst is what might happen come Spring for we draw our water from resevoirs up in the hills & not from the lakes.
0 Replies

Smitty

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2002 01:02 am
BillW, a sort of belated 'thank you' for I feel I can enjoy this site. Still you know it is SO NICE not to find all the foul mouthed people yattering away here!!!!!!!!
0 Replies