Be Black

Pamela Rosa

Fri 21 May, 2010 05:25 am
Gargamel’s a hypocrite, because he won’t live and he will refuse to live among Blacks, because of their racial characteristics, unchangeable characteristics which, as certain as the law of gravity, will manifest everywhere loud-and-clear.

There are no liberals, zero liberals, who are willing to live in a Black neighborhood.
djjd62

Fri 21 May, 2010 05:41 am
@Pamela Rosa,
in toronto i lived in a multitude of neighbourhoods, want to know what i learned, jerks come in all colours, no one group worse than the next

when i was young, visiting my grandparents in the city they lived in, the park nearby was next to a geared to income housing project, i never saw anything but white kids, just like me, but they intimidated and harassed me, cause i didn't belong in "their neighbourhood"

0 Replies

failures art

Fri 21 May, 2010 05:53 am
@Pamela Rosa,
Pamela Rosa wrote:
Blacks...law of gravity...loud-and-clear...

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/funny-pictures-black-hole-cat-steals-your-gravity.jpg
Amidoinitrite?
R
T
0 Replies

Ionus

Fri 21 May, 2010 09:13 pm
@Gargamel,
Quote:
You pussy.
Very Happy Wanna bet ?

Quote:
Whatever it is you're afraid is going to happen is the same fear that makes racism such a powerful American institution.
I'm not a USAian.It is somewhat arrogant to think all Americans, from north and south America live in the USA. I have many stories of people who have refused to walk down certain streets, esp of a night time.

Quote:
The same fear that invented all-black neighborhoods.
All black neighbourhoods were a model of peace with plenty of roll models for the children. When the rich blacks moved out into the burbs, the true ghetto started. Fear didnt invent all-black neighbourhoods, racism did. Black elitism made them ghettos. Common sense demands caution.
Quote:
Turning the table is the easiest form of argument.
How does that affect being right or wrong ?

Quote:
Pardon the vitriol here
Quite all right you childish dickhead.

Gargamel

Sun 23 May, 2010 10:37 am
@Ionus,
Would you pick an argument, please? How many people contributed to that last post?

I'm going to guess your contribution was that nostalgic look back at segregation, and how it's essentially a class issue, the ghettos resulting from rich blacks leaving their uncouth mongrel brothers behind. Are you from Texas, perchance? I know the history curriculum differs somewhat from reality down there.

But let's not pretend there is such thing as pure de facto segregation, uninfluenced by city government, business owners, white folks like you paranoid their daughters might take a black guy to the prom.

"Dickhead." Hmmm. Sounds better than "racist."
Ionus

Sun 23 May, 2010 08:53 pm
@Gargamel,
Quote:
Would you pick an argument, please?
Seeing you asked nicely, how could I refuse ?

Quote:
How many people contributed to that last post?
One.

Quote:
white folks like you paranoid their daughters might take a black guy to the prom....racist
Let me guess...you can not tell a lie, so if someone disagrees with you they must be a racist....rather a simple little world you live in. Its all the governments fault..and the racists...those miserable bastards..where are the terrorists when you need racists blown up, right ? I bet you love to hate...you just disagree with the red necks on who should be hated.

And your solution ? Walk down streets where it is dangerous for a white man to be......you first....
eoe

Mon 24 May, 2010 07:07 am
@Ionus,
I've really tried to ignore your ignorance here but surely, you don't think a black man, woman or child can safely walk down any street in America do you? Just a few years back, a little black boy was beaten to death while riding his bicycle in Bridgeport, a notoriously white area in Chicago. There are areas where black people are not even allowed to drive in without the cops "somehow" showing up, pulling them over and arresting them for no other reason than DWB (driving while black). In the past, entire communities of black people have been set on fire, bombed, etc. But I suppose the news of these horrible events don't reach your neck of the woods. You've never heard of these things happening to black people.
Bella Dea

Mon 24 May, 2010 08:42 am
I'll admit to feeling a little out of sorts when being the only white person in a room. However, if I'm there, I usually there with black friends and the weirdness wears off once we start having fun. Then we're just friends, not blacks and white.
Ionus

Mon 24 May, 2010 05:46 pm
@eoe,
Of course I have heard of it. I will discuss it if you want. The topic was of encouraging people to Be Black, whatever that meant.... I am happy to discuss those aspects.
eoe

Mon 24 May, 2010 06:18 pm
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

Of course I have heard of it.

That's all I wanted to know because reading your posts suggest otherwise.
Ionus

Mon 24 May, 2010 08:33 pm
@eoe,
Quote:
reading your posts suggest otherwise.
I was playing the Devil's advocate because I find it counterproductive if people get all gushy about being black and how terrible it is to be black and how whites should all apologise etc. I also think that a lot of blacks suffer today because if you discuss anything negative about blacks then out come the screams of "RACIST !!" Having vent their spleen, these PC thugs then return to what they were doing having convinced themselves they have solved another problem.
eoe

Mon 24 May, 2010 08:34 pm
@Ionus,
yeah okay
0 Replies

failures art

Tue 25 May, 2010 02:57 am
It's not easy to encourage pride without inflating a sense of entitlement. White people do not have to struggle with a culture that has a historical habit of hiding their accomplishments. If you're a non-white in the USA in 13 years of public education you'll be wowed with all the great accomplishments of white people. If you're a white child, you probably won't even notice the trend. History is presented to us through very white eyes, and if we are to subscribe to it, it is to believe that modern American society is built on the hard work of brilliant white people.

I am very compassionate to people trying to find a way to publicly express and acknowledge pride in who they are.

Black people have been put through a cultural ringer in the USA, and African descendants in general have been (and still do) socially stonewalled and defamed. "Be black" might be misguided, but it's not ill-intended or a declaration of superiority.

A
R
T
0 Replies

Miller

Tue 25 May, 2010 06:55 am
@eoe,
eoe wrote:

Just a few years back, a little black boy was beaten to death while riding his bicycle in Bridgeport, a notoriously white area in Chicago.

Bridgeport is the old time home of the family of Mayor Daley
0 Replies

Miller

Tue 25 May, 2010 06:56 am
@Bella Dea,
Bella Dea wrote:

I'll admit to feeling a little out of sorts when being the only white person in a room.

Why do you suppose?
Bella Dea

Tue 25 May, 2010 07:10 am
@Miller,
Because I grew up in a predominantly white town and went to a predominantly white college. It took some learning on my part to resist believing the stereotypes I'd heard and to not be afraid of the unknown. I knew TWO black kids growing up. And only another handful in college. I had to educate myself.

And when you are the difference in a room, regardless of what the difference is, you often feel off. If I walked into a room wearing a red dress while everyone else was wearing white, I'd feel odd too.
OmSigDAVID

Tue 25 May, 2010 07:10 am
@Miller,
Bella Dea wrote:
I'll admit to feeling a little out of sorts when being the only white person in a room.
Miller wrote:
Why do you suppose?
Doctor: thank u. Thank u. Thank U! for your well-considered advice qua ridding myself of cramps!
I went to a drug store and got Potassium & Magnesiun pills, over-the-counter dietary supplements and my PAINFUL cramps,
of many years standing, ended.
Its wonderful! U r a very good doctor!!!
U r a genius of your profession!

David
Miller

Tue 25 May, 2010 07:11 am
@Gargamel,
Gargamel wrote:

...look back at segregation, and how it's essentially a class issue, the ghettos resulting from rich blacks leaving their uncouth mongrel brothers behind.

Integration on Chicago's SouthSide didn't start out as a class issue. When middle class white saw their property values fall, as middle class blacks moved in, they moved to the suburbs.

That left middle class, educated blacks for a period of time.

Then, a dramatic influx of rural,mainly uneducated southern blacks, pushed into the middle class black neighborhoods. Crime increased dramatically, with drugs and prostitution flourishing.

What did the middle class blacks do? They segregated themselves from the lower class blacks and moved out to the all white suburbs.

Class has always played a major role in black integration in the City of Chicago. But, who talks about black-on-black discrimination on a forum where most of the participants from the US are white.

When Valerie Jarret ( black adviser fot Obama) lived in Chicago, she didn't live in the Robert Taylor Homes, nor did she live in the Cabrini projects.
She segregrated herself from poor , lower class blacks.

Was she racist towards her own people? No! But she did discriminate, as was her right as a US citizen.

And on it goes...
0 Replies

aidan

Tue 25 May, 2010 07:13 am
@Pamela Rosa,
Quote:
Gargamel’s a hypocrite, because he won’t live and he will refuse to live among Blacks, because of their racial characteristics, unchangeable characteristics which, as certain as the law of gravity, will manifest everywhere loud-and-clear.

Pamela Rosa, do you know Gargamel?

Quote:
There are no liberals, zero liberals, who are willing to live in a Black neighborhood.

WRONG! I've lived in two all-black neighborhoods - once at the corner of 34th and Poplar in east Philadelphia...we had the third floor of a row house above a dry-cleaners. You could walk to center city- the museum- etc...we had no money so we were sharing it with another guy who was in school with my husband. Rich and I were the only white people for blocks- never had a problem- everyone was very nice to us.

And then on Birch Avenue in Durham, North Carolina - again - absolutely no problem.

But I think part of that is because I don't go around looking for problems - I'm one of those 'trust everyone until they prove you shouldn't' people instead of a 'don't trust anyone until they prove you should' person.
I think that's key in any relationship, but especially in terms of interraction amongst people of different races.
Bella Dea

Tue 25 May, 2010 07:14 am
@aidan,
Quote:
But I think part of that is because I don't go around looking for problems - I'm one of those trust everyone until they prove you shouldn't people instead of a don't trust anyone until they prove you should.
I think that's key in any relationship, but especially in terms of interraction amongst people of different races.

I'm one of those don't trust people until they've earned it. White or black. Or green or purple. Or orange or ecru.