Raciest?

this thread is sexy, rawr
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Sat 15 May, 2010 07:38 am
@Victor Murphy,
Victor Murphy wrote:
Why the double standard?

With historical context they aren't quite the same thing, "be white" may invoke white supremacy to many while "be black" may not (given the lack of historical subjugation of whites by blacks).

Is there a double standard? In some ways yes, racial stereotypes are more acceptable for some races than others, but if you pay attention to the pattern you'll notice it tends to be races for which such stereotypes haven't caused great harm.

And it's not just whites, for example it's more acceptable to make a stereotype about Asians than Jews or blacks and a big part of why is the historical context of what such stereotypes have been combined with with Jews and blacks.

If Asians were being lynched in America a few decades ago by racists the comments about Asians would be more polemic. And if blacks had subjugated other races in America "be black" might be seen as more of a black supremacy thing while in the case you mention it's probably being used as a call for blacks themselves not to feel like they need to be "white" due to a history of white racism.

Historical context is what usually makes up the difference between some comments being more charged than others.
tsarstepan

Sat 15 May, 2010 08:02 am
@Victor Murphy,
Just a side note:
regarding a particular tag placed on this thread as of this posting: Raciest?

Quote:
rac·y [rey-see]
"adjective,rac·i·er, rac·i·est.
1. slightly improper or indelicate; suggestive; risqué.
2. vigorous; lively; spirited.
3. sprightly; piquant; pungent: a racy literary style.
4. having an agreeably peculiar taste or flavor, as wine, fruit, etc.
Origin: 1645"55; race2 + -y1

So why is this thread so very pungent?
Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

ebrown p

Sat 15 May, 2010 08:17 am
@Pamela Rosa,
So what. Clarence Thomas also believes in the superiority of "European Culture".

Be White.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Sat 15 May, 2010 09:29 am
@Victor Murphy,
Victor Murphy wrote:

Yesterday I was listening to a black radio talk station here in Baltimore (wolb) for about a half hour. At the end of the show the comment "BE BLACK'' was said a few times. If any of the talk stations I usually listen to ended a show with "BE WHITE'' they would be run off of the air! Why the double standard?

Exactly how is this an inconvenience to you? Are you dying to tell people to be white?
0 Replies

Victor Murphy

Sat 15 May, 2010 09:58 am
@djjd62,
Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green
tsarstepan

Sat 15 May, 2010 05:48 pm
@Victor Murphy,
BE ALIEN!!
http://image.com.com/filmspot/images/MovieTome/blog/district-9-alien_600.jpg
OmSigDAVID

Sat 15 May, 2010 09:33 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
BE ALIEN!!
http://image.com.com/filmspot/images/MovieTome/blog/district-9-alien_600.jpg

We shoud repudiate our citizenship ???? I don 't think so.

David
0 Replies

djjd62

Sun 16 May, 2010 06:32 am
realistically,in my case anyway, it would be more fitting to say

Be Ecru

http://www.troutlakearts.com/images/colors/ecru1.jpg
shewolfnm

Sun 16 May, 2010 07:50 am
@djjd62,
you mean

fishbelly white?
OmSigDAVID

Sun 16 May, 2010 08:01 am
@shewolfnm,
shewolfnm wrote:

you mean

fishbelly white?
R all fish's bellies white ?

I petted a shark 's belly once (in New Orleans).
I can 't clearly remember his color.

When thay r upside down (as he was)
and out of water (as he was) thay can BARK.

Thay sound like dogs. Whodathunkit ???

David
0 Replies

Miller

Sun 16 May, 2010 09:33 am
@Victor Murphy,
Victor Murphy wrote:

At the end of the show the comment "BE BLACK'' was said a few times.

I can recall a Black woman author/playwrite a few years ago complaining that Black females weren't "black" enough today.

Was she suggesting that Black females didn't want to look or act less Black
today?

Read Ebony magazine ( latest issue is 6/2010. Check out the ads for
no-lye hair relaxer, Queen Latifah's Cover Girl ads, and other cosmetics to promote skin lightening ( apparently also called "fade chemicals").

These products have created a billion dollar market for cosmetics pitched strictly to Black women.

Doesn't this suggest that Black women, who buy these products are eager to change their appearance and as a consequnce look less Black? If Black is beautiful, why is there such a strong market for these products?

( By the way, I'm not saying that Black women shouldn't buy these products , if they have the money and desire to do so.)
0 Replies

Ceili

Sun 16 May, 2010 09:42 am
I'm so white, I'm blue. With out freckles I would glow in the dark. I wish I had more colour, a lot more, but I'm stuck with this pale face.
Be black, I'm cool with that..
OmSigDAVID

Sun 16 May, 2010 09:55 am
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:
I'm so white, I'm blue. With out freckles I would glow in the dark.
I wish I had more colour, a lot more, but I'm stuck with this pale face.
Be black, I'm cool with that..
I was a lot whiter; then I got scorched by the sun over Arizona,
when I went there. I have never entirely recovered.

I sure wish I coud fully revert.

David
0 Replies

teenyboone

Sun 16 May, 2010 02:10 pm
@eoe,
Low Five!
0 Replies

djjd62

Sun 16 May, 2010 02:15 pm
@Ceili,
i like vaguely translucent girls, especially redheads
Victor Murphy

Sun 16 May, 2010 02:17 pm
@djjd62,
I love redhead's too especially if they have a ton of freckles to go along with their hair!
0 Replies

Ionus

Sun 16 May, 2010 10:53 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
And if blacks had subjugated other races in America "be black" might be seen as more of a black supremacy thing
But blacks provided the black slaves that were bought in Africa for the New World, and their track record isnt so good in the USA. When whites are killed in race riots, who did it ? When there are streets in which you can not walk down because they are an all black neighbourhood, who is responsible ?
Ionus

Thu 20 May, 2010 05:21 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
given the lack of historical subjugation of whites by blacks
The North African or Barbary Pirates were raiding the European coastline for white slaves for hundreds of years. At one stage in Tripoli, you could buy a white child for less than the price of a loaf of bread. The inhumane conditions made for a constant demand of new lives.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Thu 20 May, 2010 10:03 pm
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

Quote:
And if blacks had subjugated other races in America "be black" might be seen as more of a black supremacy thing
But blacks provided the black slaves that were bought in Africa for the New World, and their track record isnt so good in the USA. When whites are killed in race riots, who did it ? When there are streets in which you can not walk down because they are an all black neighbourhood, who is responsible ?

You pussy. When was the last time you tried walking down a street in an all- black neighborhood? If you can't walk down it it's your own ******* fault. Whatever it is you're afraid is going to happen is the same fear that makes racism such a powerful American institution. The same fear that invented all-black neighborhoods.

So what I'm saying is it's your fault. Now quit playing stupid. Turning the table is the easiest form of argument. Pardon the vitriol here, but these posts of yours are the dumbest **** I've read in a long time.