My cell phone is dying of old age ... looking for recommendations for a new one.

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 06:02 pm
Presently, I have a prepaid Nokia cell phone (unknown breed) on the T-Mobile network. The battery seems fine on my 4 year old cell phone but my alarm clock function has gone kaput. It just beeps once and that's it. So far, that single beep was good enough the past couple of days to wake me up. I also have a real alarm clock as a backup to avoid any possibility of waking up late.

This afternoon, I tried to check my voice mail box and it dialed through as normal but all I got was silence rather then the usual automated operator (and the call wasn't dropped as the screen indicated I was still connected. So it seems, my phone is apparently dying a slow death. I need a new one as I don't have a landline phone.

I don't mind T-Mobile though I won't sing their praises either. I refuse to go the way of ATT as I have heard far too many nightmare services. Should I move on from T-Mobile? I liked Verizon when I had a phone with them 8+ years ago.

I don't get many phone calls so minutes aren't that important. I don't have any interest in texting but I use my phone as a personal assistant (calendar wise). I don't NEED a camera but that would be nice. No cheap 2 or less megapixel camera please.

Sadly, I don't want to pay more then $35 a month because I rather spend my money elsewhere. I prefer a free phone deal so I'll get myself into a 2 year contract if I have to. I'll even buy a phone (subsidized) and spend ... upto $50.

Thanks for any help. Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 3,131 • Replies: 12
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 06:12 pm
@tsarstepan,
Does anyone know anything about the new Kin?
roger

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 06:29 pm
@tsarstepan,
Never heard of the Kin. I used to use TracPhone prepaid. I had a simple phone and didn't really understand the functions it had, but I never had a problem.

If you are wondering, I let it go due to lack of use. I only used it to give people an updated arrival time when visiting Albuquerque, and it was working out to maybe $25 per call. I figured Bob, Di, Osso, and the family could just go ahead and be surprise for that kind of money.

Let me know what you come up with, and how it worked out for you. For the right money, I may come up with another phone.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 06:34 pm
@roger,
The Kin One is the new Microsoft phone. After reading a middling review from Engadget I'm so not wasting my money on the Kin.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/05/kin-one-and-two-review/

Quote:
The One and Two are being offered for $49.99 and $99.99 respectively after a $100 mail-in rebate... and they must be coupled with a standard Verizon smartphone plan, which clocks in at $29.99 a month. We were frankly shocked when we heard the pricing schemes (you also need a voice plan, of course, which will set you back another $39.99 monthly).

Bloody expensive plan!
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 07:19 pm
@tsarstepan,
If I were in your shoes I'd get a used, unlocked iPhone (I'd be looking to pay about $100-$200 for it where you are) and use that on the T-Mobile network.

But if all you need is a phone you can get a new phone that will work on the T-Mobile network for $25.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 08:41 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I went ahead and got the Sony Ericsson Equinox (which will be free with a 2 year contract). Though I'm paying about $50 a month (including the unlimited monthly web).
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 09:24 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
I went ahead and got the Sony Ericsson Equinox (which will be free with a 2 year contract).
Though I'm paying about $50 a month (including the unlimited monthly web).
How did u choose that one, in particular ?

David
roger

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 09:26 pm
@tsarstepan,
I'm guessing both your requirements and budget are a bit higher than mine. I think I might be willing to go maybe $10 or $15/month for a mobile to send and receive calls.

More if I thought it would let me get rid of the landline.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 04:09 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
How did u choose that one, in particular ?

I read the review on PC Magazine (of all places) where I have a subscription and I trust their judgement. It got a Good review (3 out of stars).

I like the overall design of the phone and the 3.2 megapixel camera with the Sony tech sensibilities.

From the review:
Quote:
Voice quality was loud, crisp, and clear in both directions. External noise rejection was exceptional. In one case, the Equinox had no trouble filtering out a professional, truck-sized leaf blower. The other caller couldn't hear it at all, even though it was so loud on my end I couldn't hear myself think.

Quote:
Camera and Conclusions
The 3.2-megapixel camera lacks both auto-focus and flash. Test photos were warm, extra-sharp, and surprisingly vibrant. The video recorder recorded sharp, well-balanced 480-by-360-pixel videos at 15 frames per second outdoors, but indoor videos were way too dark. The Equinox can send videos straight to YouTube.

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 04:14 am
@roger,
Sorry Roger. Sad I let the tech Geek in me get the best of me with this compromised choice.

Your best bet is to get another free prepaid phone. Try Verizon perhaps?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 05:42 am
http://www.virginmobileusa.com/cell-phones

Virgin mobile has LG ( durable brand) phones for under 30.00 and plans that start just as low.
No contract. Y ou can change your plan every month if you choose.

Offers unlimited text, web and talk.

I have unlimited everything for 59.99 a month
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 05:43 am
oops

you already picked

didnt notice that!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 11:08 am
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/14/technology/personaltech/14talk.html?WT.mc_id=TE-SM-E-FB-SM-LIN-LCU-051410-NYT-NA&WT.mc_ev=click

Cellphones Now Used More for Data Than for Calls
By JENNA WORTHAM
Published: May 13, 2010

Jodi Hilton for The New York Times

Excerpts (more at the link)

Liza Colburn and her 12-year-old daughter, Abigail, use their cellphones for many tasks, but make relatively few phone calls.

She taps out her grocery lists, records voice memos, listens to music at the gym, tracks her caloric intake and posts frequent updates to her Twitter and Facebook accounts.

The one thing she doesn’t use her cellphone for? Making calls.

“I probably only talk to someone verbally on it once a week,” said Mrs. Colburn, a 40-year-old marketing consultant in Canton, Mass., who has an iPhone.

For many Americans, cellphones have become irreplaceable tools to manage their lives and stay connected to the outside world, their families and networks of friends online. But increasingly, by several measures, that does not mean talking on them very much.

Instead of talking on their cellphones, people are making use of all the extras that iPhones, BlackBerrys and other smartphones were also designed to do " browse the Web, listen to music, watch television, play games and send e-mail and text messages.

The number of text messages sent per user increased by nearly 50 percent nationwide last year, according to the CTIA, the wireless industry association. And for the first time in the United States, the amount of data in text, e-mail messages, streaming video, music and other services on mobile devices in 2009 surpassed the amount of voice data in cellphone calls, industry executives and analysts say.
0 Replies