Why aren't we talking about "Draw Muhammad Day?" May 20th

saab

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 04:15 am
@Ionus,
We know how dangerous the fundamentalistic Muslims are, so why provoke them by insult them with drawings?
They have no right what so ever to kill and it is too seldom that the non fundamentalistic Muslims come up with a critical word against the fundamentalists. That is scary.
Ionus

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 07:27 am
@saab,
The left whingers run out of people to bully with their arrogant insistance they are right (left in this case). They are constantly looking for someway to make a statement that insults someone, or demands someone pay attention to them. They would never insult a person to their face in such a way, it is always under the guise of being clever and sneering from a distance.
Irishk

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 11:07 am
@saab,
saab wrote:
We can be critical of burkas, forced marriages and other things and stop them in our country because it is against the law - that is part of free speach.

There's a ban on women wearing burkas in your country? I've never quite understood that and I'm not sure it would be constitutional here in the U.S.
saab

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 11:49 am
@Irishk,
No, burkas are allowed in Sweden.
It is against the law in Belgium
In France it is not against the law in some sence but a woman wearing it can get fined up to 700 Euro.
In Germany and think in England you are not supposed to be covering your face at demonstrations and covering your head with a hood I think is not allowed in ceratin areas in England.
So if you are not allowed to cover your face how come you are allowed to wear a burka.
In Denmark when you have a monthly bus/trainticket with a picture you have to show your face when entering the bus or train. With a burka you cannot so the busdriver canĀ“t see who is using the ticket. If the busdriver lets the person on the bus he gets in trouble if he does not let the person in he gets into trouble.
Some just refuse to let a woman with a covered face into bus or train.
Irishk

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 12:19 pm
@saab,
Thanks, Saab. I can understand it for law enforcement purposes. Otherwise, it just seems mean.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 01:12 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
Just drawing a reasonable or light-hearted Mohammed seems to me a great thing to do. We have generally managed to stop other religions which might have been inclined to do so from slaughtering people who offend them, and I think that was a truly majorly important step, and one we need to take with radical Islamists.

Hi Bunny, I Agree Completely, I'm happy to say!

I do not think it's necessary to draw Muhammad doing something nasty or looking nasty; in fact I see no reason to do so.

On the other hand, I think it IS important to draw Muhammad on that day (May 20th) to stand with the people who have been threatened with death for drawing him.

That's why I started this thread in the first place: I don't think anyone should be threatened with death for what they draw, and I'm willing to make a stand with others to prevent such threats in the future.

There's a clip somewhere in one of Thunderf00t's videos, depicting South Park's 2001 cartoon of Muhammad. It was just a guy in a robe with a turban.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 01:27 pm
http://oolongiv.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/stivers-5-5-03-buddha-patch1.gif
BorisKitten

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 01:34 pm
@saab,
saab wrote:

We know how dangerous the fundamentalistic Muslims are, so why provoke them by insult them with drawings?
They have no right what so ever to kill and it is too seldom that the non fundamentalistic Muslims come up with a critical word against the fundamentalists. That is scary.

I, too, have wondered why moderate Muslims, those who do NOT believe in killing people over drawings, have NOT stood up against their more-violent brethren.

I do not really think May 20th is about insulting moderate Muslims. It's about making too large a target for death threats (to cartoonists) from violent Muslims. And it's about Free Speech in the United States. In this country, we do not kill people, or even threaten to kill them, because of what they draw.
BorisKitten

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 01:35 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

http://oolongiv.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/stivers-5-5-03-buddha-patch1.gif

LAUGHING OUT LOUD!

Thanks, Dys, I needed that.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 01:49 pm
@dlowan,
We have generally managed to stop other religions which might have been inclined to do so from slaughtering people who offend them,
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can you mention other religions which you have managed to stop inclined to slaughtering people who offended them?
Have you stopped what is going on in Nigeria? In Iraq? Did you stop what went on in Yugoslavia? The war ended but you did not stop what was going on during the war.
What about Israel and Palestina?
The list is long but it is not only religion, but land, race, politics and many other reasons why people start slaughtering others.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 01:53 pm
@BorisKitten,
Quote:
I, too, have wondered why moderate Muslims, those who do NOT believe in killing people over drawings, have NOT stood up against their more-violent brethren.

Precisely the same thing could be asked about why Americans not standing up against their more violent brethren, BorisKitten?

You have not stood up even so far as to address what is an obvious fact situation.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 02:04 pm
@BorisKitten,
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think it is simply because we side with our own, when they are attacked by others.
I might not like everything in my own country, my own religion, my own political party, my own family, but when outsiders start attacking and insulting these things verbally I am going to defend them.
There are other things going on even if it is against the law in our western world which is of much more importance than a drawing of Muhammed, like honoury killing, forced marriages, women being circumsiced. This is going on in families which probably are not even fundamentalistic in that sence they would start killing us for a drawing of Muhammed.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 03:03 pm
@BorisKitten,
BorisKitten wrote:
For the same reason more cartoonists will not openly display their solidarity. Fear. I'd wager a Muslim who speaks out against Muslim violence is far more likely to find his or herself in harm's way. This is akin to asking why more ordinary citizens of Los Angeles don't stand up against the gang elements living among them.

Massive, widespread disobedience is the only way to put this absurdity to rest once and for all.
JTT

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 03:08 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Do you think that an American who speaks out against American violence against the world's innocents is more likely to find themselves in harm's way, Bill?
BorisKitten

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 03:27 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Quote:
Massive, widespread disobedience is the only way to put this absurdity to rest once and for all.

I certainly hope so, Bill. In any case, I have no better ideas, myself.

As you noted earlier, it's a great deal more difficult to attain national Freedom of Speech, after it has been lost, than it is to attempt to maintain it (as we in the US are) in the first place.
djjd62

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 03:28 pm
@BorisKitten,
i answered your question on the Thread Titles That Are Funny When Appearing Together thread
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 04:39 pm
@Ionus,
Quote:
The left whingers run out of people to bully with their arrogant insistance ...

Thanks for that brilliant analysis, Ionus. I've now learned that there are no right wing cartoonists/satirists.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 04:48 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Right, Hirsi Ali has major security concerns.

On LA, in Venice we did stand up, as they say, but gentrification likely had an effect - which wouldn't be my preference though I could be called a gentrifier. It's a tough situation, which is your point. My ex heard a writer in some lecture say that fear is life's main motivation; we used to argue about that, but I see the point.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 05:04 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
Do you think that an American who speaks out against American violence against the world's innocents is more likely to find themselves in harm's way, Bill?
There you are, with a strategically placed fan to blow your long luxurious wig, mounted on a stuffed white horse, with large penis in hand (sorry that should be lance) ready to tilt at windmills when we hear the cry...Take my picture !!!! You are a legend in your own mind. You need a reality check.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 05:05 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Quote:
What about if there is something we dont like about you ?? Can you be forced to change your reason for living ?

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 06:56:33