moving to sydney

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 10:09 pm
My family will be moving to Sydney in a little over a month. We will be living in the Kingsford (South Coogee) area. Right now my children (girl age 7, and 2 boys ages 5 &3) attend parent participation or co-op schools in the US. I would really love to find an open constructionist school for my children to attend. We are basically open to anything... and, really, we know nothing about the sydney school system. Any info would be wonderful. Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,983 • Replies: 7
No top replies

margo

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 12:54 am
@newtolandofoz,
I'm sorry - I have absolutely no idea what an open constructionist school is. I'm so old I can barely remember what school is!

There's not many people from Sydney here, I'm afraid - so I doubt you can find an answer to your question. Not aware of anyone from that part of Sydney, either.

Kingsford - are you going to be at UNSW?

Enjoy your stay in this great city, though Cool
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 03:21 am
@newtolandofoz,
Quote:
an open constructionist school
Is that a school where they are still working on putting up the walls ?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 04:21 am
@newtolandofoz,
Constructivist schools are those that focus on the learner rather than the subject. They attempt to be involved in developing how the learner learns and through such a process, keep the little larvae engaged.

Does it work? It requires a lot of close attention and kids with early learning problems seem to benefit most.

Its a "flavor of the month" kind of educational theory popular with home schooling and small charter schools.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 04:40 am
@newtolandofoz,
Sydney is Oz's largest city. If it exists in Oz it will be in Sydney. All I can suggest is you goggle it.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 06:02 am
@newtolandofoz,
Look for Steiner schools
http://www.kamaroi.nsw.edu.au/
I'm not sure if this particular school is close to your area but I'm sure they would be happy to advise you.
ragnel

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 05:46 pm
@dadpad,
Kamaroi is in Belrose, which is way over the other side of the city, dadpad and they would be trekking for hours each day from Kingsford.

I would suggest newtolandofoz follow your advice and check out Kamaroi themselves. There may well be other open learning schools that are not well known to the general public. If so I would think Kamaroi would be aware of them.
newtolandofoz

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 08:59 am
@ragnel,
thank you all for your help. i will continue to look. i've found some montessori and waldorf schools near us, however, they seem to be more for preschool age children. that fits one kid in our family...
i love the site for kamoroi as well as currambena, both are very far away. the search goes on. thanks again.
0 Replies