how to make halloume cheese?.

maged

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 08:35 pm
how to make halloume cheese ?

Mame

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 08:50 pm
@maged,
You get some halloume (whatever that is) and mix it with milk (critical for success) and add some herbs (any kind will do), and put it all in a pot. Let it sit outside for a couple of weeks, then bring it in. Strain out the herbs and then put it on the stove and bring to a boil. The minute you see steam rising from it, REMOVE the pot!!! Important!! And then when it's cooled off, cover it and refrigerate it. DO NOT REMOVE THE LID!!! After 24 hours, take a peek and a poke at it. If it's hard, it's done. If not, you'll have to start over. Sorry.
dadpad

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 09:05 pm
Halloumi is a traditional Cypriot cheese that is also popular in the rest of the Middle East
is made from a mixture of goat's and sheep milk, although some halloumi can be bought that also contains cow's milk.
Halloumi is set with rennet, and is unusual in that no acid or acid-producing bacterium is used in its preparation
The cheese is white, with a distinctive layered texture, similar to mozzarella, and has a salty flavour. It is stored in its natural juices with salt-water, It is often garnished with mint to add to the taste. Traditionally, the mint leaves were used as a preservative, the use serendipitously discovered when the fresh Halloumi was kept wrapped for freshness and flavour from the mint leaves. Hence, if you look closely, many packaged Halloumi will have bits of mint leaf on the surface of the cheese.

I dont think you can get it in Australia as the cheese is made with unpasturised milk. Hopefully someone will come along and proove me wrong
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 09:07 pm
@Mame,
Dont listen to her shes insane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlSLbiWbV7w

YA gotta love the greek cheeses. WE had a fresian sheep and my neighbor, whos a Koumaros, made some of this and it was GREAT!. Our fresian sheep were killed by some wild dogs and we never got any new ones because , technically, this breed is too dumb to live with other livestock. BUT ewes milk, from Mouffon or Fresians , makes great Haullumi, or daafinois or Brie. (The only differences with each one is the amount of cream in the cheese (Daffinois is a triple cream) and salt Haullumi is the saltiest .

Send me some , I love the stuff
dadpad

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 09:21 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
YA gotta love the greek cheeses.

You gonna start a war!. Halloume is definitly Cypriot. the name has a registered trade status. You cant call it haloume unless it is made in cyprus
Mame

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 09:34 pm
My answer is the correct one. Now, if you want to know how to make saganaki, call me because I've made it. That's better than Halloume any day.
farmerman

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 09:44 pm
@dadpad,
Successfule marketing is based on selling your product to more people than just your family. my neighbor is of greek extraction and his wife makes haullumi. In the US We also make BRIE in Wisconsin and Feta and Asiago in Illinois. Nobody's sued us yet. I think that >75 % of Cypriots are of Greek extraction. So why would I even care?
HEY,WE MAKE "CHAMPAGNE" IN CALIFORNIA .

Mame

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 09:56 pm
@farmerman,
Sure, ignore me.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 07:23 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Dont listen to her shes insane.

I agree
saganaki refers to the refers to the small, two “handled” pan the cheese is traditionally cooked and served in.
You can also find other dishes referred to as saganaki which are typically foods cooked in a tomato sauce with feta cheese (such as prawns saganaki)

Read more: http://souvlakiforthesoul.com/saganaki#ixzz0nOJF35JP
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 06:20 am
mame posted a wildly and mischievously wrong answer.
0 Replies

maged

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 03:44 pm
@Mame,
hi, thanks for the advice i think you will be better in making saganaki which i will be glad to hear it from you thank you .
0 Replies

Seemaa

Reply Mon 31 May, 2010 01:13 am
Folow these steps :
1) Add 1 tsp. of rennet tablets to 8 pints of fresh milk and let it set for 30 minutes or until the milk curdles.
2) Divide the curds in two (or three depending on preference) and place them in muslin bags for another 30 minutes to harden and shape.
3) Drain any whey (leftover liquid) back into the pan and bring it to a boil.
4) Remove curds from the muslin bags and put them in the boiling pan.
5) Let the curds cook in the pan for about 20 minutes or until the cheese floats to the top.
6) Carefully remove the cheese from the pan and store it in the refrigerator for two hours.

Although any type of milk will work, it is said that goat's milk is best for making halloumi cheese.
0 Replies