Spill baby spill, slippery politics

rosborne979

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 01:42 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:
Obama has been accepting large donations from Bp for about 20 years now...

Your single minded Obama fascination is tiring.
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 01:49 pm
@rosborne979,

Your "head in the sand" approach to life is saddening.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 02:23 pm
So now the plan is to drop a big box over the broken pipe. Sounds fishy to me, but I wish them luck.

At over a mile down in the freezing cold, pitch black, high pressure ocean, this must be just a little bit difficult.
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 02:26 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

So now the plan is to drop a big box over the broken pipe. Sounds fishy to me, but I wish them luck.

It sounds like Al Gore's lock box.
0 Replies

hamburgboy

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 02:49 pm
@rosborne979,
my understanding is that it is not just a box that would be dropped over the spillsite but a sort of " upside down" funnnel .
the oil gushing out would be " syphoned off " and placed into oil-tankers and barges for transportation to refineries .

while this is going on , a permament solution would still have to be found to deal with this enourmous leak .
it seems just a measure designed to buy time .

the " upside down" funnel :

http://www.independent.ie/multimedia/archive/00570/N015202127309129023_570262t.jpg
Always Eleven to him

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 06:14 pm
@hamburgboy,
I just hope that they designed it to withstand the ocean pressures of the deep. Otherwise, it could just crumple like aluminum foil. <sigh>
roger

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 08:34 pm
@Always Eleven to him,
Why? Unless there are air spaces in the concrete, there shouldn't be anything to compress.
0 Replies

hamburgboy

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 08:40 pm
@Always Eleven to him,
i guess we'll find out once it hits the ocean floor .

... or might it be pushed away by the gushing oil ???

stand by ...
roger

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 10:14 pm
@hamburgboy,
That was my though on first hearing of it. It sounded like they were going to drop a sealed dome over the leak, and hope it didn't get blown off. I was very skeptical. The inverted funnel part should connect to plumbing moving the oil to a tanker. If done right, there would be no increase of pressure under the dome, or whatever it is.

I've no idea if it will work, but since it looks non-mechanical and doesn't appear to have anything in it subject to collapse, I can't see the depth as a cause for failure.
farmerman

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 04:43 am
@roger,
Im not sure of the total design but my question was
"If they fill this "Dome" with crude , will the whole thing become bouyant?
rosborne979

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 05:31 am
What caused the drill rig/platform to explode in the first place? Does anyone know yet?
H2O MAN

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 06:12 am

Aerial images of the oil spill
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 08:57 am
I am more than a little concerned about the dynamics of this thing. Will it travel straight down? Does it need to be anchored? What if it tips over? Would the crews be able to right it?
hamburgboy

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 04:49 pm
@plainoldme,
pom ,
look at the pix just up a bit .
it's supposed to sink into the oceanfloor ( 20-30 -40 feet ??? ) and to be supported by the " flaps " you can see - don't know if it has ever been done before .

i believe the first oof three traps/funnels has by now ben sunk ?
hamburgboy

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 04:54 pm
@hamburgboy,
box is expected to be in place sunday - interesting pix and story :

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2010/05/07/2010-05-07_gulf_oil_spill_100ton_box_positioned_over_undersea_leak_in_effort_to_cap_spill.html

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2010/05/08/alg_oil_tanker.jpg

" the super outhouse "
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 05:06 pm
@rosborne979,
One story is that they encountered a very high pressure zone at an unexpectedly shallow depth. Blame the geologist if that's the case. The other story is that pressure was released around the well casing due to a poor cementing job, or bad cement. The two are not mutually exclusive.

If they are blaming the blow out preventer, as they seem to be, that does seem to exclude the cement theories. BOPs can't control anything outside the casing.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 05:07 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

One story is that they encountered a very high pressure zone at an unexpectedly shallow depth. Blame the geologist if that's the case. The other story is that pressure was released around the well casing due to a poor cementing job, or bad cement. The two are not mutually exclusive.

If they are blaming the blow out preventer, as they seem to be, that does seem to exclude the cement theories. BOPs can't control anything outside the casing.

I'm sure Halliburton is praying that they don't end up blaming the cement...

Cycloptichorn
roger

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 05:07 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Im not sure of the total design but my question was
"If they fill this "Dome" with crude , will the whole thing become bouyant?

I don't know, but allowing for relative densities of water outside, and crude + natural gas inside doesn't sound like rocket science.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 05:09 pm
@roger,
whoever was the logging outfit. they should have known if a pressure zone was encountered
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 05:13 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
I'm sure Halliburton is praying that they don't end up blaming the cement...
they had just poured the cement a few hours before the blow-out, it was always a prime suspect. It could have either been bad material or it was not poured properly, if this be the cause.