Spill baby spill, slippery politics

CarbonSystem

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 12:38 pm
@H2O MAN,
Quote:
He promises relentless support in the clean-up effort (new , low paying jobs for illegal aliens)
while defending his lack of response to the crisis (a total lack of experience). Obama is lame.

Well I'd say that any people who are going to help, for good pay or for none, are welcome in this crisis. Afterall, BP's not doing a damn thing, why should they care? Aside from losing a bunch of money in assets, of which their's is virtually infinite.

That is of course if your expert conjecture that obama will enlist illegal immigrants to clean up and save this mess.

I propose that any foreign national who helps with the spill be granted a citizenship.
H2O MAN

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 12:55 pm
@CarbonSystem,
CarbonSystem wrote:

That is of course if your expert conjecture that obama will enlist illegal immigrants to clean up and save this mess.

I propose that any foreign national who helps with the spill be granted a citizenship.

They can earn their individual citizenship instead of just having it granted to them... I like that idea.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 07:49 pm
Quote:
In 1969, when people still used manual typewriters and rotary telephones, a Union Oil well blew out five miles off the coast of Santa Barbara, Calif. People attacked the oil washing ashore by skimming it off the surface, dispersing it with chemicals, and soaking it up with straw and other materials.

Forty-one years and many generations of technology later, BP is attacking the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico with techniques similar to those used in Santa Barbara. And just as in those days, choppy water and strong winds can make it impossible to use those tools to bottle up oil once it has leaked into open seas.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/05/03/AR2010050302781.html?hpid=topnews

Shocking *sarcasm*, between the corporate class who only care about what they can get for themselves, and government leaders who are an unappealing mixture of corrupt and incompetent, who would expect any other result.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 11:25 am
When BP says, "we'll pay for the cleanup", doesn't that just mean that they will pass the costs on to consumers in their products?
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 11:28 am
@rosborne979,
The news on local TV is telling us we will pay more for gas, shoes, all kinds of other products.
rosborne979

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 11:33 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
The news on local TV is telling us we will pay more for gas, shoes, all kinds of other products.

It's not surprising really. All of this is considered "cost of doing business", which businesses regularly compensate for in their product costs. That's just the way profitable businesses function.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 12:08 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

When BP says, "we'll pay for the cleanup", doesn't that just mean that they will pass the costs on to consumers in their products?

Kind of like Obama promising people all sorts of things knowing full well that the cost will be passed on to the tax payer.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 12:14 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

Not really - because they will be in a very poor market position to do so. If BP takes a billion dollar hit over this, how are they supposed to jack their prices up 25% to cover costs? Their competitors will undercut the hell out of them.

I think you are going to see BP eat a lot of these costs...

Cycloptichorn
rosborne979

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 12:18 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
What were BP's profits last year?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 12:21 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

Researching, but based on extrapolations it's at least 10 billion.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 12:22 pm
It seems to me that if the costs go up the way the news said they will, it would be a raise by all oil companies. Why? I don't know.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 08:44 pm
Quote:
The Interior Department exempted BP's calamitous Gulf of Mexico drilling operation from a detailed environmental impact analysis last year, according to government documents, after three reviews of the area concluded that a massive oil spill was unlikely.

The decision by the department's Minerals Management Service (MMS) to give BP's lease at Deepwater Horizon a "categorical exclusion" from the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) on April 6, 2009 -- and BP's lobbying efforts just 11 days before the explosion to expand those exemptions -- show that neither federal regulators nor the company anticipated an accident of the scale of the one unfolding in the gulf.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/05/04/AR2010050404118.html?hpid=topnews

WOW, Obama OWNS this mess....the whole thing start to finish happened on his watch. HIS people did this.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 08:51 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

I don't think they can do that, exactly. I don't think even exxon can establish the world cost of crude. To sell it, they have to be at the market price.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 08:56 pm
@H2O MAN,
Looks like you want everything for nothing . . . hmmm . . . contradicts your basic premise.
0 Replies

Always Eleven to him

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 11:53 pm
@hamburgboy,
And in Germany, the power companies are required to buy excess electricity produced by wind/solar, etc. from the private land owners who invested in the technology to get themselves "off the grid." A good idea in my opinion.
0 Replies

Always Eleven to him

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 12:07 am
@farmerman,
Well said, Farmerman. It seems to me that the "conservatives" are happy to trust the corporate world when it's in their best interests. Now that they've seen that BP lied and that government really is in the best position to commit resources after the fact, they're blaming government (read Democrats and Pres. Obama) for relying on BP's "word."

Hmmm. Does anyone else see more than just a bit of hypocrisy there?
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 06:12 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

That information is of little use... you need to know what their profit margin was.
farmerman

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 06:18 am
@H2O MAN,
Thats utter nonsense because eg several industries try to deflate their margins by increasing their expense budgeys . (eg , think of Hollywood movies that make a BILLION dollars but declare that they are still in the RED)
PSHAW. Ive worked in enough mining and exploration to know that the companies have 3 sets of "play"survey maps

1set for the regulators(EPA, MSHA, DNR's etc)
2a different set for the investors
3 and a real survey
rosborne979

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 11:54 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Not really - because they will be in a very poor market position to do so. If BP takes a billion dollar hit over this, how are they supposed to jack their prices up 25% to cover costs? Their competitors will undercut the hell out of them.

I still think they will pass the costs into the product. Nobody will notice an increase of a few cents per gallon of gas, and that's all it'll take over a few years to make it back.

And I don't really think the oil companies have "competitors" in the normal sense of the (capitalist) word, because I think they have ways of colluding and fixing prices (even if they deny it).

But that's just my cynical opinion.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 01:31 pm
@farmerman,

Obama has been accepting large donations from Bp for about 20 years now...