ragnel

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 07:59 am
A few months ago it was announced in the media that the cost of electricity to consumers (in NSW, at least) will rise by 60% over the next three years. The reason given for this was the costs involved in implementing the planned Emissions Trading Scheme. The first price rise of 10% takes effect on 1 May. Now Mr Rudd has announced the scheme is a non starter and they will have to come up with another idea.

My question is : Has anyone seen or heard anything about the price increases being cancelled?

(Removing her tongue from where it was firmly embedded in her cheek, and trying not to choke on her uncontrollable guffaws, this humble soul will say "good night, all!" and stagger off to her bed.)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 3,281 • Replies: 5
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 08:11 am
@ragnel,
Hmmmm......I wonder if they are quietly going to a carbon tax without telling anyone? But electricity is not a federal government supplied thing, so, seriously and all I suggest you guys need to be contacting MPs and media about this issue, as I assume you are likely to be correct and they will raise prices anyway!

I actually don't completely oppose such rises, as they ARE, I think, a pretty good way to lower emissions, but that is not fair.

I need to think about it with our suppliers as well!

I am saving up to pay my $399 bill!
dadpad

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 09:36 am
Lot of talk yesterday on ABC regional radio about the price of electricity rising by 64% over the next 3 years.
something about the electricity regulator allowin such to happen.
reason given was upgrading infrastructure.

artical found
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/1028811/electricity-prices-to-rise-by-up-to-64
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 03:33 pm
@dlowan,
To my way of thinking the privatisation of the power companies is the main blockage toward any sort of energy consumption reform. Why would private interests encourage technologies that cut consumption of their products.

Just think if we hadn't gone privatisation mad the govt could mandate solar panels on rooves feeding back into the grid and earning credits on their power bills. Sigh.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 04:45 pm
@ragnel,
Quote:
My question is : Has anyone seen or heard anything about the price increases being cancelled?

No, but it would be very nice indeed to see!

The Kennett government in Victoria (boo hiss!) privatized or corporatized anything that moved or breathed. The Labor government (boo hiss!) has followed enthusiastically in it's footsteps. Public transport, energy, water, you name it!

We now receive these humongous bills for gas, electricity, water ... mostly for the "services" provided. It drives me nuts. I have minuscule actual usage amounts on my bills, but incredible slugs for completely non-existent services. Someone is doing very nicely out of such arrangements, but it certainly isn't us customers! Grrrrrr!

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 06:22 pm
@ragnel,
Quote:

Oh, in regard to the Emissions Trading Scheme, ragnel? Sorry, I read your post much too quickly.

No, not a word so far.

But you're going to get that price rise anyway. You know that. There are other, equally valid reasons for it, I'm certain! Wink
0 Replies