the human condition-sorrow

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 08:56 am
it's more of a feeling that goes out of control. It's the difference between waiting for the sun to come up, which is sadness, and the sun will never shine again, which is depression.
Wallace Stevens.
----------------
I applied my heart my heart to know wisdom, and to know madness and folly, I perceived that this was also folly, I perceived that this was also a chasing after wind. For in much wisdom is much grief; and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Eccleslesiastes.
-----------------------
No society has been able to abolish human sadness, nonpolitical system can deliver us from the pain of living, from our fear of death, our thirst of the absolute. It is the human condition that directs the social condition, not vice versa.
---
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 10 • Views: 1,597 • Replies: 17

dlowan

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 09:14 am
@dyslexia,
Well, yes. But there are lots of fun bits, too...if you're lucky.
Ragman

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 09:34 am
@dlowan,
yeah. Like reading cheery A2k threads. I choose happy today. Anyone on board?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 10:00 am
"I applied my heart to know wisdom, and to know madness and folly, I perceived that this was also folly, I perceived that this was also a chasing after wind. For in much wisdom is much grief; and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow."
Eccleslesiastes.

Interesting that that is from the Bible. I found myself in this state several years ago when I started questioning my faith and whether or not there is a God. It resulted in deep sorrow for a good bit of time, but that too passed.

I don't know why we would want to do away with grief and sorrow. I find it necessary for growth. I picture,only in my mind, a day when all the world is compassionate and kind. That will never be. It can't be. We each, individually, have to go through sorrow in order to have the wisdom that leads us, individually, to compassion.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 11:30 am
Quote:
It's the difference between waiting for the sun to come up, which is sadness, and the sun will never shine again, which is depression.

I think that the notion that waiting for the sun to come up is sadness is an indication of depression.

The notion that the sun will never shine again is more along the lines of despair.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 03:01 pm
@dyslexia,
You can construct your life to avoid sorrow, but you will never know true love or true joy if you do.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 07:25 pm
Sorrow and sadness. If you know these, you know 80% of my life story.
Francis

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 07:57 pm
@edgarblythe,
I, for one, don't agree with most of the posts here.

Some random thoughts:

I choose everyday to be happy and I succeed most of the time.

Moments of sorrow and sadness are scarce in my life.

However, I feel compassion for my fellow humans suffering and going through sorrow and pain.

One doesn't need to suffer to be compassionate.

I overcame social condition to achieve better human condition.

My personal quest and thirst of absolute drive my life and suffer no compromise. At least in my inner core..

But it's only me..
ossobuco

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 08:36 pm
@Francis,
I tried to answer you, Francis - but got all gumbled up.

I somewhat understand you.

0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 08:48 pm
Too often our sorrows are caused by things beyond our control. Illness, pain (physical and emotional), the troubles of those we love... It can be tough just to get through a day, or an hour, or sometimes even just a few minutes at a time.

Francis is right...we can control our general outlook. And I think most of us try to do that on a daily basis. But that doesn't change the fact that shitty stuff happens, and it takes a toll. With practice, we can learn not to let the little stuff bother us. But when the big things hit...well, sometimes all you can do is grit your teeth and hang on.

Hope is the key. If we have hope that our situation will not be permanent, we can get through almost anything. And even if it will be permanent, IF we can believe there will be a way to go forward in spite of it, we can learn to handle it.

Often we need others to show us the way. I will be eternally grateful to the people in my life who have pulled me through the rough times.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 08:56 pm
@Eva,
Hope is hard to pump when the depressesd are correct.

Eva

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 09:08 pm
@ossobuco,
You're right.

And I never said it was easy.

I remember a time when the only hope a friend could give me was that at least I wouldn't go through it alone. And that....that was enough to get me through it.

ossobuco

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 09:11 pm
@Eva,
I'll agree on that.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 09:29 pm
Eva wrote:
But that doesn't change the fact that shitty stuff happens, and it takes a toll.

It certainly happens, quite frequently indeed, and it can be overwhelming.

I have seen horrible events happening in the lives of family and close friends.

Some of them were crushed, others survived to be stronger.

Nothing could have hinted the way they reacted.
Eva

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 09:38 pm
@Francis,
I know. It's strange, isn't it.

Sometimes the ones you think can handle anything crumple at the first hint of bad news. And the delicate flowers turn out to be made of concrete. You never know. So it's always best to be kind.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 09:44 pm
@Francis,
Francis wrote:
I, for one, don't agree with most of the posts here.

Some random thoughts:

I choose everyday to be happy and I succeed most of the time.

Moments of sorrow and sadness are scarce in my life.

However, I feel compassion for my fellow humans suffering and going through sorrow and pain.

One doesn't need to suffer to be compassionate.

I overcame social condition to achieve better human condition.

My personal quest and thirst of absolute drive my life and suffer no compromise. At least in my inner core..

But it's only me..

I tend to agree with Francis, for the most part (which is very unusual)
in this case.

David
ossobuco

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 09:50 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
How lovely for you......

0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 09:51 pm
David wrote:
I tend to agree with Francis,

Oh, the helplessness!