A plague of locusts be upon you

dadpad

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 06:12 pm
VICTORIA is experiencing its biggest locust outbreak in nearly 40 years, with the state's farmers bracing for financial losses in the millions of dollars.

Millions of locusts have flown across the Murray River from New South Wales into Victoria in recent weeks, while adults already in Victoria have bred, lifting numbers.
Massive damage to crops has already occurred in Victoria's north-west and over the border. Young canola, carrot and oat crops have been eaten in a day.

The Lamattina family from Wemen lost more than $500,000 of carrot production on Sunday to locusts. Phillip Lamattina said locusts ate about 150 acres of seedlings.

''You've got to see it to believe it,'' he said. ''One centre pivot [plantation] got destroyed completely. We had about 25 million carrots in there. That gives you an idea of how many locusts there are.''

PIctures
http://www.theage.com.au/photogallery/national/locust-plague/20100421-t0i4.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 3,460 • Replies: 32
No top replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 06:13 pm
@dadpad,
if they had only repented their sins....
Mame

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 06:17 pm
Can you get locust insurance? 25 million carrots - wow.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 06:17 pm
@Mame,
gonna be some sad rabbits, I bet...
dadpad

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 06:20 pm
@Rockhead,
I'm sacrificing as many virgins as i can get my hands on.

0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 06:22 pm
@Mame,
Surely a plague of locusts would be considered an act of god and therefore not covered.
farmerman

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 06:48 pm
@dadpad,
When I worked in Nigeria, the Ibo folks who were our drillers, were really good at catching and baking the locusts and we often ate em as a snack. Actually, I learned to really like emand when My first wife came over to meet me for a month holiday, she was revolted at how much I learned to like "untraditional western" snacks. and preferred stuff like locusts and grubs.
We would use lots of garlic and chili with the locusts and they had a flavor very similar to pistachios except really crispy.

DID NOT taste like chicken.

Sorry if you are gagging but Ive eaven eaten mealy worms in a fried veggie dish with real chunks of yam, pumpkin and huge masses of garlic and lemon grass and raw cinnamon and NO SALT.
dadpad

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 06:54 pm
any clues on how to cook prepare locusts FM? apart from the garlic
farmerman

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 07:07 pm
@dadpad,
Yep, are you interested? Its really easy, the Ibo guys would pull off the legs and wings and then put em in a big pan and one guy would just sit by a fire and roast em slowly over the coals. Hed adjitate the pan and they didnt add a whole lot into the pan at any one time. Theyd then dump em into a woven bowl and do another batch. Then they would put em in the metal pan and shake em over the fire for about 10 or so minutes more (theyd crisp up better)and then theyd add all the flavors or spices. They were really good and Im not a nut. Locusts are one of the finnest wild food along with wild yams.
I could still eat em today with no problem.
Ill bet if you put in some searches for recipes to toast locusts, youd probably find several.

The one food I could NOIT eat was turtle, GAAAAGH, they had a really funky taste that was eaten more or less "rotten" when cooked (Some goat dishes the Muslim peoples would let get suitably gamey before cooking--kinda like roadkill).

Id start the locusts in a small metal colander over a gas flame or charcoal(charcoal is best) . Remember to remove the legs and wings cause those parts will burn first and impart a kind of burnt hair taste. (you know the smell).

The garlic and spices was necessary at the end to add some more interest .

GO for it!! Im not kidding. Think about it.The first cave guys who ate a clam probably felt the same revulsion until they ate their first one and all together thought

"Hey these would go great with some beer"
Rockhead

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 07:15 pm
@farmerman,
garlic salt or garlic powder?
farmerman

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 07:19 pm
@Rockhead,
Im not sure but I remember a slight salty taste that could have come from something else. I dont remember except for waht the cook told me and I know they had big jugs of a garlic powder and onion powder. We didnt have fresh garlic or onions as I recall.
Hey this was in tne mid 70's and we were all watching for Biafran rebels coming over the porous borders
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 07:25 pm
@farmerman,
I'm was just wondering if I could pick em direct off the radiator.
I have no doubt that locusts would be good eating. Its finding a market for 26 gazillion of the buggers thats the problem
farmerman

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 07:27 pm
@dadpad,
Pack em in smaller boxes and then charge a little off per kilo for the great big (5kg size). They make a great doggy snack, bake em up with beef flavor and the dogs will think theyre slim jims. (The dogs will not think that themselves arent slim kims but the grasshoppers are slim jim flavored)
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 07:29 pm
New name.

Sky prawns.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 07:32 pm
@dadpad,
or dirt shrimps...
farmerman

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 07:33 pm
@dadpad,
everything is marketing. EXCellent!!. This could be big. You may run out of sky prawns if you develop a national taste for the snack along with a Fosters or (whatever is a good Oz beer).
You can have sky prawn and sea salt flavor.
Cajun style sky prawns.

I want a franchise.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 07:35 pm
@Rockhead,
Quote:
or dirt shrimps...
WQe already sorta use this in NAwlins as a word for crawfish or crawdads. We calls em ":MUDBUGS"
Rockhead

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 07:37 pm
@farmerman,
I've ett mudbugs.

i don't suck heads...
farmerman

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 07:39 pm
@Rockhead,
thats the best part
Rockhead

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 07:40 pm
@farmerman,