Italian Judge suspends crucifix verdict

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 12:01 am
Judge suspends crucifix verdict
Story from BBC NEWS 10/31/03
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/europe/3231365.stm

An Italian judge has suspended a court order to remove crosses from schools after an education ministry appeal.
The original order to take down the Christian symbol came in response to a complaint by a radical Muslim leader.

It caused widespread outrage in mainly Roman Catholic Italy, where a Fascist-era law still requires state schools to display the cross.

The local mayor has ordered the school to remain shut until next Tuesday to protect children from media interest.

Police protection

Last week's ruling in the central Italian town of L'Aquila upheld a complaint by Muslim leader Adel Smith, who petitioned for a cross to be removed from his son's primary school in Ofena.

Even though moderate Italian Muslims distanced themselves from Mr Smith - who leads the small Muslim Union of Italy - Italian politicians and Church leaders condemned the original ruling.

On Friday, Pope John Paul weighed in, saying that taking down religious symbols could cause instability and conflict. "The recognition of the specific religious patrimony of a society requires the recognition of the symbols that qualify it," he told a meeting of political leaders of European Union police forces.

Taking them down "in the name of an incorrect interpretation of the principle of equality" could lead to "instability and even conflict", the pontiff said in Rome.

Now the presiding judge has used his discretionary powers to temporarily suspend the original ruling.

He has invited the parties to a new hearing on 19 November.

Mr Smith is under police protection after neo-Nazis threatened him.

Italian heritage

Catholicism plays a large role in Italian life, but the country is legally a secular state.

The law requiring state school to display the cross has never been repealed, even though it is not widely applied.

The Muslim leader had earlier asked for an Islamic symbol to be displayed alongside the crucifix, but the request was denied.

However, Mr Smith's challenge has struck a nerve in Italian society, the BBC's Frances Kennedy reports from Rome.

Even non-believers, she says, say the crucifix is part of Italian heritage as should be respected.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 799 • Replies: 10
No top replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 12:04 am
Pope Weighs in on Italy Crucifix Controversy
washingtonpost.com
Pope Weighs in on Italy Crucifix Controversy
Reuters - Friday, October 31, 2003; 10:36 AM
By Philip Pullella

VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - Pope John Paul Friday forcefully weighed in on a national controversy in Italy over crucifixes in schools, saying it was undemocratic and dangerous to try to erase a country's religious symbols.

"Recognizing (a nation's) religious heritage means recognizing the symbols that set it apart," the pope told European Union interior ministers meeting in Rome.

For the past week Italy has been caught up in a controversy sparked by a local judge's order that a crucifix be taken off the wall of a school in a small town east of Rome.

The ruling, which has dominated the country's media, followed a complaint by Adel Smith, a Muslim rights activist who did not want his children to see crucifixes in their school.

It sparked widespread outrage in the country, which is nominally overwhelmingly Catholic although only some 25 percent of Italians go to church regularly according to some polls.

The pope called for "proper recognition, even through laws, of distinctive religious traditions."

In Rome, the Education Ministry filed an appeal against the local judge's ruling. At about the same time the pope was addressing the interior ministers, a regional judge suspended the order and scheduled a hearing on the issue for next month.

The pope said people could not be forced to renounce their religious symbols in the name of what he called "an incorrect interpretation" of the principle of social equality.

"Social co-existence and peace cannot be achieved by erasing the religious distinctiveness of each people," he said, adding that such attempts would be "not only futile but even undemocratic" and could lead to instability and conflict.

Most leaders of Italy's 1-million strong Muslim community have distanced themselves from the firebrand Smith, who has appeared on Italian television defending Osama bin Laden.

Sociologists have expressed concern that the crucifix debate could inflame relations between Catholic Italians and a growing Islamic community made up mostly of immigrants.

Racial tensions have grown in some areas of Italy as more and more Muslims seek to enter Italy, legally and illegally, in search of a better life.

Some commentators have said Smith's demand may backfire and fuel the very intolerance it aimed to counter.

In the past week, in fact, newspapers have published pictures of Catholics outside churches and schools holding crosses and placards with slogans such as "Muslim hands off our crucifixes."
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 12:46 am
Watching this one!
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 09:34 am
It seems ironic that these people who come from nations where religious freedom is unheard of and practice a religion of intolerance should demand the removal of the crucifix.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 09:36 am
au1929 wrote:
It seems ironic that these people who come from nations where religious freedom is unheard of and practice a religion of intolerance should demand the removal of the crucifix.

au

You mean exactly
a) what people
b) which nations?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 09:40 am
Walter
My error I did not read the entire article. It was an Italian convert who brought the action.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 09:43 am
Well, he is born in Egypt and a Muslim since birth.

But this doesn't answer my questions either.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 09:46 am
Walter
Islam and wherever Islam is dominant.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 09:46 am
Oh, I thought, you meant Italy and Poland.

- Italy's Constitution proclaims the separation of church and state. But a law from the 1920s decrees the display of the crucifix in state schools.

- Poland insists that the EU constitution gets a (Catholic) Christian mentioning.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 10:33 am
I think, if I went to live in Arabia, I would expect to see a lot of crescents and symbols of the muslim faith. And I wouldn't ask for them to be removed, because it was my choice to go there.
Even if I was born there to non-muslim parents, I wouldn't ask for them to be removed. Because the majority would want them to stay, and because I would like to live a little longer. It would be impolite, at best.

So I think that this Smith guy (what an improbable name) is bang out of order.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 10:39 am
McTag
In addition in Saudi Arabia you would be forbidden to even show yours not display just have one around your own neck. There is no tolerance of other religions.
0 Replies