Love

LAW0044

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 06:44 pm
What Do You Think about Loving One Another Like We Love Ourselves?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 862 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Lash

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 07:14 pm
@LAW0044,
I'm guessing this seeks to take the cruddier motivations out of what we're calling love. If you're actually desiring what's best for the other person, and giving selflessly--regardless of what it may mean to you personally, it's a higher calibre thing you're passing off there...
Pemerson

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 08:05 pm
@LAW0044,
I think that phrase falls under another one: Know Thyself!

We can't really love another unless we first love ourselves, anyway. And, we certainly can't love something or someone unless we Know it/them through & through and that's where Know Thyself enters. Get to know yourself, as in analysis, counseling. Own yourself, your problems, so you can solve them, make changes - then you can love yourself, and are lovable by another.

I'm sure this is clear as mud.
Pemerson

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 08:10 pm
@Lash,
I once had a philosophy teacher tell our class that we can "choose" to love someone, at all times, even when they are not lovable. He also said loving someone involves "willing their independence."
LAW0044

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 09:40 pm
@Pemerson,
EVEN THOUGH IM HURTING BEHIND MY MARRIAGE IT STILL DOESNT KEEP ME FROM LOVING MY CHRISTIAN FRIENDS , FAMILY, ENEMIES I TRULY CAN SAY I LOVE ALL PEOPLE AS AN WHOLE
0 Replies

LAW0044

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 09:43 pm
@Lash,
TRUE BUT I OFTEN LOVE OTHER FIRST ANYWAY BUT IM GETTING THERE TO LOVE ME FIRST
0 Replies

LAW0044

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 02:06 am
@Pemerson,
thats true i do love enough to let him go now thanks
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 06:46 pm
@Pemerson,
ha! I said that somewhere here about seven years ago, too... I think it really is a choice. It's nice when the cool emotional thing coincides...
0 Replies

NoOne phil

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 01:42 pm
@LAW0044,
LAW0044 wrote:

What Do You Think about Loving One Another Like We Love Ourselves?

I would say it is the most pointless thing in existence.
Since relation to self is inadmissible, i.e. no difference beween the self and the self, it is absolutely the most pointless thing there can be.

Love is all the things two people do together to maintain and promote their life.

Since the purpose of the human mind is to effect human expression that maintains and promotes the life of the body, it seems to me people would concentrate on what they accomplish and what they accomplish together to the ends of the purpose of mind and hold that alone in highest regard.

What is the point of empty words, and emotions that can never be shared?
0 Replies