The Official a2k Virtual Red Sox Luxury Box is Now Open!

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 03:10 am
@Ragman,
Quote:
Peavy to Boston in 3-team deal

The Boston Red Sox and Chicago White Sox have been discussing a possible trade for Jake Peavy for days
but were unable to find an agreeable match.

It wasn't until they engaged the Detroit Tigers on Tuesday, Boston general manager Ben Cherington said,
that the pieces finally fell into place. The end result was a three-team, seven-player deal in which Boston
received the 32-year-old veteran starter they were seeking to bolster their rotation for a postseason run.

The Tigers, meanwhile, acquired gifted gloveman Jose Iglesias from Boston as the shortstop they will need
if All-Star Jhonny Peralta is suspended, as anticipated, as part of MLB's Biogenesis investigation. The White
Sox acquired outfielder Avisail Garcia, regarded as the top power prospect in the Detroit system, plus three
prospects from the Red Sox: 100-mph throwing right-hander from Class A Greenville, 20-year-old Dominican
Francelis Montas, righty J.B. Wendelken and infielder Cleuluis Rondon.

Boston also acquired another player from Detroit's 40-man roster, right-handed reliever Brayan Villarreal,
who is currently with Triple-A Toledo and has been sidelined with a sprained thumb. Villareal will be assigned
to Boston's Triple-A team, Pawtucket.

[ snip ]

The Red Sox explored other options, including talks with the Philadelphia Phillies about left-hander Cliff Lee,
but those talks went nowhere, as the Phillies reportedly were seeking a package in return that included top
prospect Xander Bogaerts, the 20-year-old shortstop who is projected to be in the big leagues by next season,
if not sooner.

Iglesias, a Cuban defector who signed a four-year, $8.24 million contract as a 19-year-old in 2009, was
recently praised by Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz as the best fielder he has ever seen, better even,
Ortiz loudly proclaimed in the Boston clubhouse last week, than Omar Vizquel, an 11-time Gold Glove winner
at shortstop.

Iglesias seamlessly made the transition to third base when called up in a utility role by the Red Sox on May
24 and took over the position full-time when Will Middlebrooks was sent down to Pawtucket in late June. He
surprised everyone by maintaining a .400-plus average until July 6, when he went into a 11-for-62 slide (.177)
in which his average dropped from .403 to its current .330. He singled in three at-bats Tuesday.
(espn)

not sure how i feel about this yet.

we got a former CY winner, and trading iggy clears the way for bogaerts to play short next year, with (presumably)
middlebrooks back at third.

but iggy is a special player who learned a new position and who's offense took a quantum leap this year...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 11:29 am

take a look at red sawx uniforms over the years (slideshow) ...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 06:17 pm

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x336/RegionPhilbis/donampjerry-cowboyup_zps62aff732.png

don & jerry cowboy'ing up during last night's game in houston...
Rockhead

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 06:20 pm
@Region Philbis,
I like how tonight's game got started.

nifty pick-off move that...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2013 04:40 pm
now batting ninth, Will Middlebrooks...
Kolyo

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2013 08:53 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

now batting ninth, Will Middlebrooks...

Timely mention of a man who gave us some timely hitting tonight, whose two RBI proved the difference in the teams' score-lines, and who was surely as deserving as anyone of tonight's game ball. Very Happy
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 11 Aug, 2013 12:36 pm
I feel like an unfaithful cheat standing outside the Staten Island Yankee left field gate as the VA Hospital is providing a baseball day today (free ticket, hot dogs, etc...).

Will this indiscretion be held against me when I'm judged at the big pearly gates in the sky?
Rockhead

Reply Sun 11 Aug, 2013 12:37 pm
@tsarstepan,
depends.

are you rooting for Alex?
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 11 Aug, 2013 12:39 pm
@Rockhead,
Did ARod get booted to the minor leagues already? I'm voting for the opposition by default. Wink
Rockhead

Reply Sun 11 Aug, 2013 12:44 pm
@tsarstepan,
he's 2 for 2 with a home run and 2 RBIs.

you better root a little harder...
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 11 Aug, 2013 01:00 pm
@Rockhead,
I'm not at the NY Yankees' game but the game of their minor league kin.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 11 Aug, 2013 01:02 pm
@tsarstepan,
I see.

I thought that was the scranton scrotums...
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 11 Aug, 2013 01:18 pm
@Rockhead,
Po((Tay))o/po((tah))o Razz
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 11 Aug, 2013 03:54 pm
@Region Philbis,
y'all come back now, ya hear...

we enjoyed your visit.

and hope you had some bar-bq while you were here...
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 11 Aug, 2013 07:00 pm
Lovely day in Staten Island!
http://i40.tinypic.com/2w3yet4.jpg

The Red Sox farm league team, Lowell Spinners, beat the Staten Island Yankees 3-1!

Woot!
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 11 Aug, 2013 07:35 pm
@Rockhead,
A-Fraud wears Depends? Sayyyy..he really DID age!
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2013 05:17 pm

this is a first -- players going to a game on their off-day, presumably to scout the next opponent?

Quote:
Snapshot: Sox spotted at Jays game

What do you do if you're a Red Sox player on your first day off since July 25? If you're Jonny Gomes,
Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Dustin Pedroia, you're sitting front and center behind home plate at Rogers
Centre, watching your next opponent.

The three players were spotted sitting in the stands during Monday afternoon's game between the Blue
Jays and Athletics. The Red Sox are scheduled to begin a three-game series against Toronto on Tuesday
night.
(espn)

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2013/0812/mlb_g_redsox_gb1_576.jpg
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 17 Aug, 2013 12:22 pm

http://31.media.tumblr.com/e21dbc57938609b9826c95c4e4b4ea2e/tumblr_mrjyliJ7iz1ro5xweo2_400.gif
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 07:15 am

going today!
seats are under the overhang, slightly right of home plate.
got some hellacious thundah boomers going now -- hopefully they get the game in today...
Ragman

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 07:30 am
@Region Philbis,
Enjoy the game and be safe. It's always an adventure at Fenway.

"NWS: Boston under flood warnings until noon "