The Official a2k Virtual Red Sox Luxury Box is Now Open!

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2012 11:05 am
@tsarstepan,

they will prolly start interviewing people next week.
john farrell is the leading candidate, although he had a bad year in toronto...
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2012 11:07 am
Quote:
Red Sox fire Bobby Valentine

The Red Sox just issued the following press release:

BOSTON, MA – The Boston Red Sox today announced, following a meeting among team leaders and Manager
Bobby Valentine, that Bobby will not return in 2013. A search for a new manager will begin immediately.

“Our 2012 season was disappointing for many reasons,” said Executive Vice-President/General Manager Ben
Cherington, who made the announcement and who will lead the search. “No single issue is the reason, and no
single individual is to blame. We’ve been making personnel changes since August, and we will continue to do
so as we build a contending club. With an historic number of injuries, Bobby was dealt a difficult hand. He did
the best he could under seriously adverse circumstances, and I am thankful to him.”

The Red Sox used 56 players in 2012, the most in club history. Their 9-player blockbuster trade August 25 with
the Los Angeles Dodgers was their largest in 40 years.

“This year’s won-loss record reflects a season of agony,” said Red Sox President/CEO Larry Lucchino. “It begs
for changes, some of which have already transpired. More will come. We are determined to fix that which is
broken and return the Red Sox to the level of success we have experienced over the past decade.

“Difficult as it is to judge a manager amid a season that had an epidemic of injuries, we feel we need to make
changes. Bobby leaves the Red Sox’ manager’s office with our respect, gratitude, and affection. I have no doubt
that he will continue to contribute to the game he loves so much and knows so well.”

Red Sox Chairman Tom Werner said, “This season was by far the worst we have experienced in over ten years
here. Ultimately, we are all collectively responsible for the team’s performance. We are going to be working
tirelessly to reconstruct the ballclub for 2013. We’ll be back.

“We thank Bobby for the many contributions he made and for the energy he brought each day. He is a baseball
man through and through.”

Red Sox Principal Owner John Henry said, “In our meeting with Bobby today, he handled everything with dignity
and class, and it is deeply appreciated. Ultimately, we as owners are responsible for arming our organization with
the resources—intellectual, physical, and financial—to return to the levels of competitiveness to which we aspire
and to which our fans are accustomed. Our commitment to winning is unwavering. It is a commitment to this team,
to this city, and to these fans who have supported us through thick and thin.

“We have confidence in Ben Cherington and the kind of baseball organization he is determined to build.”

“I understand this decision,” said Valentine. “This year in Boston has been an incredible experience for me, but I am
as disappointed in the results as are ownership and the great fans of Red Sox Nation.

“It was a privilege to be part of the 100 year anniversary of Fenway Park and an honor to be in uniform with such
great players and coaches. My best to the organization. I’m sure next year will be a turnaround year.”
(espn)
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2012 11:14 am
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

they will prolly start interviewing people next week.
john farrell is the leading candidate, although he had a bad year in toronto...

I prefer another Farrell to coach:
http://i48.tinypic.com/els8k.jpg
Joe Nation

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2012 01:26 pm
@tsarstepan,
Shucks, if I was Bobby Vee, I would have had my suitcases packed and the household dishware in boxes about two weeks ago.

I have a friend who claims he saw him looking at rental property in Florida early last month, and not in Ft. Meyers.

Joe(going to be a long winter)Nation
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2012 09:57 pm
the bloody sock story gets another chapter. (probably #11)

"PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) -- Former Boston Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling might have to sell or give up the famed blood-stained sock he wore on the team's way to the 2004 World Series championship to cover millions of dollars in loans he guaranteed to his failed video game company..."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/curt-schilling-might-sell-bloody-142659520--mlb.html
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2012 11:11 pm
from today's power rankings...

#25 Boston Red Sox (69-93; Previous: 22) – Red Sox reach that awkward period when Larry Lucchino keeps drunk-dialing Terry Francona, asking what he's wearing.

< ouch >
Ragman

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2012 04:57 am
@Rockhead,
ahaha! He better direct this call to Cleveland where he's competing with Sandy alomar for the job as mgr.

Can Bobby V. toss any more people under his egotistical bus?

<Ouch>
Region Philbis

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2012 05:30 am
@Ragman,

if ESPN takes him back, he'll have plenty of opportunities to bad-mouth...
first one-and-done since 1934...
Ragman

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2012 05:32 am
@Region Philbis,
... and the biggest first-to-worst plunge since the Titanic went turtle. This whole fiasco shows the cracks and faults within ownership as far as what happened when they hired Bobby V., who it was clear to most who know him that his management syle and abrasive personality was a bad fit to begin with.

Witness that whole Youk-injury Bob V commentary directly to the media instead of talking 1-on-1 with the hardest worker on the Sawx. He sunk his own boat.

Looks like Farrell has got the attention of the owners as a leading candidate with ties/culture from within the Red Sawx Nation.

Msg to Bobby V: here's a bg glass of shut-the-****-up. Drink up! Drunk
Region Philbis

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2012 05:39 am
@Ragman,

i think it'll depend on what the jays want in return.
if they want the moon, lucchino could be more amenable to the possibility of a no-experience player's manager, like robin ventura.
brad ausmus, for one, should get an interview...
Ragman

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2012 05:41 am
@Region Philbis,
agreed. However, it's been recently reported that Varitek is not a candidate!

Please bring Theo back!
Ragman

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2012 05:45 am
@tsarstepan,
excellent photo, BTW.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2012 05:52 am
@Ragman,

tek will be on the hiring committee this year.
he might be our pitching coach someday -- maybe sooner than you think?
and i hope he eventually takes the helm...
Ragman

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2012 06:00 am
@Region Philbis,
I agree. I sure hope that he's in their future plans as an eventual mgr. No one I can think of is more suitable on the horizon. He know hitting, pitching, and catching and he has the right sort of personality while still not being a owner-yes-man.

On a completely different note (and some comic relief):

Ozzie Guillen will be soon available for hiring. Now that would make them forget all about Bobby V's antics. Boston's sports-beat writers will pay half of his salary.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2012 07:47 am
@Region Philbis,
Ella sings this one to Bobb V. with love:

0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2012 07:10 pm
Quote:
Report: Jays won’t block Farrell to Red Sox

The Toronto Blue Jays are not expected to stop John Farrell from going to the Boston Red Sox,
according to Bob Nightengale of USA Today.

Nightengale joined Tim & Sid on Sportsnet 590 The Fan Friday where he said the Blue Jays and
Red Sox have likely held informal talks regarding Farrell, who he believes will end up in Boston.

“John Farrell is very good friends with (Red Sox GM) Ben Cherington and those people so you can’t
say there hasn’t been phone calls,” Nightengale said. “I’m sure Lucchino and Paul Beeston have
already talked. Formally just a technicality.”

“Cherington wants him badly. If Blue Jays really wanted him and said no, they would’ve given him
an extension or said he’s going to be our guy for the next five years … we’ve never seen those
comments. They’re going to let him go.”

While many believe the Blue Jays shouldn’t let Farrell go without receiving significant compensation,
Nightengale believes the team wouldn’t get much in return for their manager.

“You’re not going to get much compensation. Remember when Theo Epstein went to the Cubs, there
was very little compensation. When Ozzie Guillen went to the Marlins, very little. Only talking about
a fringe-type prospect. Nothing big.”
(source)
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2012 05:02 am

dodgers third base coach tim wallach is the first name outta the hat to be interviewed...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2012 05:24 pm

followed by brad ausmus next week...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2012 05:42 pm

sawx freeze ticket prices for 2013...
Joe Nation

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2012 10:22 am
@Region Philbis,
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505245_162-57533286/red-sox-keep-ticket-prices-unchanged-for-2013/

What? No frigging discount!!

Joe(grumble, grumble)Nation