The Official a2k Virtual Red Sox Luxury Box is Now Open!

George

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 08:24 am
@tsarstepan,
I love this one:

"If you don't think too good, don't think too much."
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 02:53 pm
Greetings from an Oriole fan:

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r147/panzade/redsox.jpg
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2012 06:00 am
@panzade,

panz, what's up with the rays?
panzade

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2012 02:40 pm
@Region Philbis,
all I can say is: It's a long season...the Rays are nicked up.
Region Philbis

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2012 05:44 pm
@panzade,

i was surprised by the poor defense -- thought maddon always stressed fundamentals.
and the molina/cobb dugout dust-up was troubling...
panzade

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 04:04 am
@Region Philbis,
My focus is a bit diluted because I follow 4 teams. The Nats and Orioles from my boyhood and the Rays and Marlins from my geographical location.

As far as I can see the Rays young rotation is failing and Longoria's hammy hasn't healed. Without him the Rays' chances are dim.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2012 11:24 am
When will this nightmare season ACTUALLY be over with?
Region Philbis

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2012 01:00 pm
@tsarstepan,

technically, october 3rd -- around 11:00pm.
but for me it ended weeks ago...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 10:57 am
Quote:
Loving tribute to No. 6
Sox old and new honor beloved Pesky

The Red Sox paid a respectful and loving tribute to a legend last night, celebrating the rich life
of Johnny Pesky in a Fenway Park [map] ceremony reminiscent of the sendoff to Ted Williams
a decade earlier.

A cavalcade of former and current players, including Roger Clemens, Pedro Martinez, Carlton Fisk,
Jim Rice, David Ortiz [stats] and Dustin Pedroia [stats], joined a crowd of hundreds for a moving,
mostly joyful two-hour ceremony that attempted to wrap its arms around Pesky’s 93 years, 70 of
them spent as a player, coach, manager, TV personality, front office exec and baseball ambassador
for the Red Sox.

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x336/RegionPhilbis/fisksignspeskypole_zpse96f518d.jpg
Hall of Famer Carlton Fisk, who has a foul pole named after him as well,
signs the Pesky Pole in right field at the celebration of Johnny Pesky’s life
at Fenway Park Sunday, September 23, 2012
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 12:00 pm
@tsarstepan,
I don't want to look up anything, but I have a feeling this is in the top five of worst seasons ever.

Joe(No?)Nation
Linkat

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 12:09 pm
@Joe Nation,
and they didn't even have any fried chicken or beer delivered.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 12:39 pm
@Joe Nation,
I think it jst feels like one of the worst because of how far they have fallen. The Red Sox teams prior to 1967 were ghastly awful. Teams from around 1958-1966 were perennial cellar-dwellers and couldn't draw flies for attendance.

I'm pretty sure the 1965 team was the RS team that had the worst season...well below .400 percentage.
Ragman

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 12:58 pm
@Joe Nation,
RS teams of the '20s -'30 were incredibly inept; however, that was well before my time and recollection.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 05:59 am
Quote:
Varitek: Red Sox job 'close'

Former Boston Red Sox captain Jason Varitek, at Fenway Park for ceremonies honoring the 2004
World Series champions, said Tuesday he is "close" to taking a new job with the team, but barring
a major change of plans, it does not appear it will be as manager.

Varitek, whose name has surfaced in speculation regarding a possible successor to manager Bobby
Valentine, dodged a question about whether he is interested in managing.

"Why are you asking me that?" Varitek said. "You think I'm going to answer that question right now?
I'm not going to answer that question."

Varitek did say that just as the team had pledged during spring training, he plans to go back to work
for the Red Sox.

"We're working on it," he said. "We're close to having something. I'll be involved."

A club source confirmed the team is close to bringing Varitek on board, but offered no further details.

A baseball source with direct knowledge of the talks between Varitek and the Red Sox said he is
likely to be named a special assistant to general manager Ben Cherington, a role in which Varitek
will be encouraged to learn the Red Sox system from top to bottom and be involved in a variety of
areas, including player development and talent evaluation.

The day may come when Varitek will want to try his hand at managing, the source said, but for now
he is committed to spending more time with his family. Varitek's wife, Catherine, tweeted this reply
to a fan asking if Varitek might manage the Red Sox: "I think he'd be great. BUT... Sorry, going to
Greece next summer. He's a bit tied up."

"Would it be a great move?" the source said. "Yes. Do I see it happening? No. Do I think it intrigues
him? Absolutely. Is he qualified? Absolutely. Would he enjoy it? Absolutely. But does he want to be
manager now? I don't think so. I think Jason will be in the mix for manager in the future, but I think
they want to set him up for success. That could change, I suppose, but I don't think so."
(espn)
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 09:01 am
@Ragman,
'58-66~age 11 to 19~~But that's when I learned to love them, my memory is vague, but it seems to me that we (me and the Sox) always came in second or third.

Always.

I refused to be a Yankee fan, mostly because guys I hated (and often had to whip or get whipped by) were Yankee fans.

assholes.

And when the Maris/Mantle homer season was on I put some bluegrass on the stereo and turned up the volume for the whole summer and fall.
I still don't know who hit more homers that year.
(Don't tell me.)

I did learn to play banjo and guitar.

Joe(and Open D tuning)Nation

Ragman

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 10:07 am
@Joe Nation,
Same for me. They were in the background for my youth in the '60s. Music was way in the forefront. As for my musical skills, I was astute at playing the stereo and I sang in the shower...but not simultaneously. I loved going to games at Fenway ... even before I was a baseball fan.

From early in the 1967 season I followed them closely. Yankees sucked ... badly.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 10:21 am
@panzade,

of course, as soon as i open my big yap, they proceed to reel off 7 straight W's...
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 11:40 am
I just wanted to repeat this because I want to get in my car so bad..... .

http://imgc.allpostersimages.com/images/P-473-488-90/65/6546/AGL4100Z/posters/michael-crawford-red-cars-drop-off-a-bridge-under-a-sign-that-says-red-sox-fans-the-other-new-yorker-cartoon.jpg

Joe(you can buy the poster. meh)Nation
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2012 10:59 am

sayonara, Bobby V...
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2012 11:01 am
@Region Philbis,
Wow. That was fast. Who's next? Is Terry Francona available?