The Official a2k Virtual Red Sox Luxury Box is Now Open!

Ragman

Reply Tue 15 May, 2012 11:34 am
@Region Philbis,
I'm looking to see how well he fields his spot. An early scouting report had him formerly at 6 ft 4in and 200 lbs but he is now at 225 lbs:

Scouting Report: Solid all-around athlete with ideal third baseman frame that has filled out since signing. Despite added weight has maintained athleticism.

Plus bat speed with improving upward plane through the hitting zone. Hits the ball hard with backspin when he squares it up. Projects for plus power to all fields at the major league level. 25 home run potential.

Improving bat control and pitch recognition. Aggressive hitter. Needs to learn to be a bit more selective as he progresses through the upper minors. Can over-extend arms during swing, which causes him to be susceptible on the inner third. Must work to improve with hitting inside the baseball in this area to produce average-to-better contact and increase hitting zones.

Will strikeout, but improvement closing hole on inner third will help mitigate. Offensive inconsistencies stem from tendency to over-pull during stretches and wrapping the head of the bat around the ball. At best when looking up the middle and using the whole field.

Plus-to-better arm. Light on feet defensively with strong anticipation, reactions, and first step. Solid footwork and stays square to the ball. Can stand to improve range to his left by stabbing less at the ball and taking another step or continuing to become comfortable throwing on the move. Rounding towards a plus defender.

Hard worker that makes adjustments. Just beginning to learn what he can do as a baseball player. Projects as an everyday third baseman at the big league level with above-average offensive potential during peak seasons.
Region Philbis

Reply Tue 15 May, 2012 04:00 pm
@Ragman,

so faah, so good for joshua... (live box)
Rockhead

Reply Tue 15 May, 2012 04:20 pm
@Region Philbis,
I looked at picking him up.

cain't do it...
Ragman

Reply Tue 15 May, 2012 06:30 pm
@Rockhead,
Awesome shutout...relievers included. The hitters are pretty well on track. All's right with the world.
Joe Nation

Reply Wed 16 May, 2012 07:18 am
@Ragman,
yippie.

Joe( ky-yea)Nation
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 05:14 am

sawx man-handled verlander, and finally climb above .500 ...
Ragman

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 05:57 am
@Region Philbis,
It's so great that they won! But, it's how they won this one! They've won against a decent team and one of the best in baseball, while winning with timely hitting and decent relief pitching. Meanwhile, Orioles are in a slide and the division lead looks winnable.
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 07:54 am
@Ragman,

only 31/2 back...
check out this morning's standings -- the AL east is back to being a tough division.
look at run differential (DIFF) in particular.
all AL easterners are in green double-digits...
Joe Nation

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 08:48 am
@Region Philbis,
I hate to be stupid ( and I just read Moneyball to catch up with the latest ways to read the stats) but Run Difference is ~~~~ I'm guessing~~~ how many more/less runs a team has scored relative to their opponents overall, not just in their division?

Joe(old man~ why in my day, we~~~)Nation
Ragman

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 08:48 am
@Region Philbis,
Arrrgh! In my mind the heart-and-soul of the team is Dustin along with Big Papi. I just read this:
"Dustin Pedroia has a torn muscle in his right thumb but hopes to avoid a trip to the disabled list."
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 08:50 am
@Joe Nation,
Yes. I believe you're correct that it's overall differential, not just within the division.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2012 01:29 pm

work perk -- free sawx tix for tomorrow's game vs the marlins... Mr. Green
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 04:29 am

15-5 thrashing of the miami fishies Mr. Green

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x336/RegionPhilbis/6-20-12.jpg

it was 95°F @ 7:05pm.
big papi made our night with his 11th career el grande salami!
we sat thru 7 sticky, sultry innings.
left when it was 13-5...
Joe Nation

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 07:39 am
@Region Philbis,
Nice.

And happy about the thrashing and the Big Bang... .

Joe(Still, we have a lovely view out the cellar window)Nation
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2012 05:37 am

swept the marlins, 5 straight W's overall.
will ("brooksie") middlebrooks is making a youk trade a foregone conclusion...
Ragman

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2012 07:57 am
@Region Philbis,
Sure seems that boy can hit. I just hope he cuts down on his strikeouts too. Hey, Salty is hitting a bunch, too. Amazingly, they have a strong later part of the hitting order.

Not sure I see Dice-K has changed a lot but at least he's pitching OK-ish.
Region Philbis

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2012 09:24 am
@Ragman,

they'd be smart to try packaging youk and dice for a quality starter.
and i'd much rather see a nava/kalish platoon in LF then crawford...
Ragman

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2012 09:32 am
@Region Philbis,
Whew! I'm quite conflicted as to how they should put an outfield together. Those pieces don't add up to me as a long term or even intermdiate term solution - sad to say. I'm admitting to having been spoiled as a fan after seeing the likes of Yaz, Rice and Evans.

Trading Youk and Dice-K? Hmmm? Who'd bite at that attractive package without wanting to include a AAA major prospect. Perhaps toss in Crawford but now is NOT the time to give up AAA prospects.

As an aside, it was an interesting way for Sawx to win the other day with 'small-ball' (manufacturing a run) offense.
Region Philbis

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2012 05:32 pm
@Ragman,

now this...

Quote:
PAWTUCKET, R.I. -- The Daniel Bard experiment is over.

The right-hander said Friday that he and the Red Sox have agreed to abort his conversion
to starter and instead officially return him to his former role as a reliever.
(espn)
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2012 03:22 pm
Quote:
Reports: White Sox acquire 3B Youkilis

Multiple sources are reporting that the White Sox have acquired Boston 3B Kevin Youkilis
and an announcement will be made after the Sox-Brewers game.

The Red Sox will get a utility player and pitcher Zach Stewart. Youkilis started for Boston
Sunday and left the game early as a video tribute was played.
(chicago trib)

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x336/RegionPhilbis/youk07.jpg
yoooooooooooooooooooouk...