The Official a2k Virtual Red Sox Luxury Box is Now Open!

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 8 May, 2012 10:17 am
@Ragman,
Quote:
Mercy, what a start to a career in the Bigs! How does he follow that up?
well, i reckon he should just keep wailing away until the rest of the league figures out how to pitch to him...
Ragman

Reply Tue 8 May, 2012 10:19 am
@Region Philbis,
Yeah. Forgive me any KC fans but he didn't face such strong pitching.

Wondering out loud: is this the time for the trading block to get some reliable top-shelf pitchers? Smellinga bad combo mix of injuries, some bad chemistry and under-achieving going on. Perhaps a time for a shake-up.

If that should happen at some point soon, I'm just praying Ortiz, Ellsbury and Pedroia stay put.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 8 May, 2012 11:14 am
I love that Middlebrooks' homers were as right and as far left as you can go.

Now, let's try and figure out where this guy is going to hit.

Joe(heh)Nation
Rockhead

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 09:07 pm
@Joe Nation,
Royals take the 3 game series from the sawx...

shall we bet on the season series?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 10 May, 2012 05:19 am

snake-bitten... Sad

Quote:
Carl Beane, the voice of Fenway Park, dead at 59

Boston Red Sox public address announcer Carl Beane, the voice of Fenway Park whose booming baritone
called ballplayers to the plate for two World Series champions, died on Wednesday after suffering a heart
attack while driving. He was 59.

"We are filled with sadness at this tragic news," Red Sox president Larry Lucchino said in a statement issued
by the team that attributed the death to a heart attack. "His legion of friends with the Red Sox and the media
will miss him enormously, and all of Red Sox Nation will remember his presence, his warmth, and his voice."

The Worcester district attorney said that Beane died in an accident after his car, an SUV with a spare tire
cover stitched to look like a baseball, crossed the double yellow lines and left the road before hitting a tree
and a wall. He was pronounced dead at Harrington Hospital in Southbridge a short time later, according to a
release from D.A. Joseph D. Early Jr.

A longtime fixture in the Red Sox media who provided radio reports and gathered sound for broadcasters,
including The Associated Press, Beane landed what he called his dream job when he won a competition for
the job announcing the lineups at Fenway Park after the 2002 season. In his second season, he announced
the home games of the World Series when the Red Sox won the championship to end an 86-year title drought.

"His voice was pretty unique," Sox DH David Ortiz said Wednesday before Boston's game in Kansas City. "I'm
pretty sure everybody is going to remember that forever."

Added Ortiz: "It's something that's unexpected. It doesn't matter if you get to know the person or not; it
always hits you. It's a tough situation where there's no tomorrow. One way or another, all of us get to be a
family. You guys as a reporter, us as a player, him as an announcer -- everybody gets to be a family member
here. And once things like that goes down, you hurt. You hurt. My prayers going out to his family."

With his voice familiar throughout New England to the millions of fans who filled Fenway each year, Beane
also was hired to work as a master of ceremonies, narrate commercials and announce wedding parties.
According to a 2008 interview with Boston Magazine, grooms would tell Beane they were more nervous to
meet him and try on his World Series ring than they were when reciting their vows.

"When I get that instant response, a feeling washes over me like, 'This is where I should be,'" Beane told the
magazine. "This is what I know I was put on Earth to do."
(espn)

RIP carl...
Ragman

Reply Thu 10 May, 2012 05:58 am
@Region Philbis,
Sorry to hear of the poignant loss to the Red Sox Nation. May he RIP.

I hate to say this, but with my moving away and from attending games in Boston (since '99) I lost touch with who has been doing the Fenway announcing. My last game attended at Fenway, that job was still being done by Sherm Feller (25+ years...1967-1994) and organist John Kiley. I've attended Sawx games on the road since moving away.

Quote from Boston Globe ...from Red Sawx CEO :
“We are filled with sadness at this tragic news,’’ said Red Sox president/CEO Larry Lucchino in a statement. “No one loved his role with the Red Sox more than Carl did his. He adored the opportunity to pay homage each game to Sherm Feller, and to contribute to the culture of Fenway Park, a place he loved passionately.’’

And a place he immensely respected, as he explained to the Globe in 2003.
“This is not one of those ballparks where you need fireworks and an announcer screaming at the fans to get them involved,’’ Beane said. “This is a special place. My job is to welcome them and get out of the way. Don’t do shtick. This is a baseball shrine, and it has to be treated as such."
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 10 May, 2012 07:07 pm
RIP Carl...

in other sad news:

first beer and fried chicken, now golf...

RHP Josh Beckett missed a start last week because of a sore lat muscle, but according to WBZ-FM, it didn't stop him from playing golf May 3. Beckett wasn't available for comment Wednesday, having left the Red Sox to fly back to Boston to prepare for a start Thursday night against the Indians. Meanwhile, manager Bobby Valentine said he hadn't gotten the chance to speak with Beckett about the situation. Beckett was at the center of last September's flap over pitchers eating fried chicken and drinking beer in the clubhouse during games.
(Yahoo! Sports)

Rolling Eyes

he sucked today.
Ragman

Reply Fri 11 May, 2012 08:00 am
@Rockhead,
As for Beckett's antics, I would love to see someone open up a can of shut the **** up on him. Is there no team captain anymore? It used to be Tek, but it's leaderless now it seems.

In a recent article, I found this about interim captaincy:

"In his absence, Dustin Pedroia seems to have stepped up, but nothing in the way of a captaincy has been made official -- yet.

With Pedroia standing up for teammate Kevin Youkilis in the aftermath of a mini-controversy following manager Bobby Valentine's comments, it seems clear that the Red Sox second baseman is a leading voice in the clubhouse and may be the de facto captain of the squad."

Valentine seems to be not in control, to say the least. Perhaps maybe a Beckett trade would wake things up for the sake of sort of cohesion. Maybe? Can they get some starter of value?
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 11 May, 2012 10:28 am
@Rockhead,
Furthermore, in a current article by Nick Cafardo, noted Boston sports-scribe:

"Beckett's unapologetic response to questions about his golf leaves a perception there is a void between Beckett and those who run the team. Until he proves otherwise, or starts winning, others will attempt to fill it.

"Playing golf when you're out with an injury looks bad," Cafardo writes. "Does anyone get that?"
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 13 May, 2012 03:25 pm

shhhh... three straight since the beckett debacle... don't tell nobody...
Ragman

Reply Sun 13 May, 2012 03:29 pm
@Region Philbis,
But is he still on the team?

On a positive note, however, Bard, Middlebrooks and Salty are looking great!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 14 May, 2012 08:51 am
@Region Philbis,
I won't.

Joe(i could hardly look at this morning's paper)Nation
Region Philbis

Reply Tue 15 May, 2012 10:15 am
@Joe Nation,

four straight.
complete game by lester.
liking it...
Ragman

Reply Tue 15 May, 2012 10:18 am
@Region Philbis,
Shaking in mah boots (Beckett pitches tonight)! The good news is that today is Beckett's 32nd birthday and he is pitching against the Mariners in afternoon game at Fenway. It is also also Tim Wakefield Day, who will be honored for his stellar career with Sawx.
Region Philbis

Reply Tue 15 May, 2012 10:24 am
@Ragman,

i think he's gonna get with the program and pitch well today...

R(first pitch @ 4:05)P
Ragman

Reply Tue 15 May, 2012 10:25 am
@Region Philbis,
Crossing fingers and toes!
Ragman

Reply Tue 15 May, 2012 10:46 am
@Ragman,
... and Sawx hitters are starting to resemble Murder's Row! Nava, Peds, Ortiz...and Middlebrooks..lookeeng gooood! Toughest issue is where to put Youk! Management (Cherington) wants Youk in the lineup...coach V wants Middelbrooks in the lineup. Who will win?

Could the starting pitchers be heading into a contagious winning streak? These last 4 games speaks highly for a turnaround.
Joe Nation

Reply Tue 15 May, 2012 11:03 am
@Region Philbis,
Shhh.

Only one other team has a streak of four Ws at the moment.

Joe(feeling good)Nation
Ragman

Reply Tue 15 May, 2012 11:10 am
@Joe Nation,
Apparently, there'll be no beer and chicken in the clubhouse. No birthday cake either.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 15 May, 2012 11:27 am
@Ragman,

i think bobby V sends middlebrooks down for more seasoning.
he's already stated that youk won't lose his job because of injury.
besides, if they do wanna move youk, teams need to be assured that he's healthy.

excellent audition -- the youngster will be back, perhaps sooner than later...