The Official a2k Virtual Red Sox Luxury Box is Now Open!

Ragman

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 08:02 am
@Region Philbis,
With Pap gone there's a huge hole in the Ace reliever roll. Love to know what their plans are for a Top 5 reliever.

Bard will fare well as a starter, I think. I'm not so sure about Aceves.

I wonder what they'll do with Wake? I read that he wants one more year but I'm not so sure he's got another year (back problems) left in his tank; however, there's no question about his desire to compete. I feel that he did everything for the Sawx and then some. He is the anti-Manny. Would love to see him as a pitching coach...a few years in AAA then bring him to the Big Show.
Ragman

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 08:53 am
@Region Philbis,
I think the need and search for the Ace Reliever hinges a lot on the deal with Cubs and subsequent compensation for Theo Epstein:

Here's a piece of the article that highlights some of the back-room wrangling that is going on as MLB Commish watches and is keeping hands off as they let this sort it out like genetlemen:

"And there have been talks about the Cubs giving up a top prospect such as righthander Trey McNutt.

One problem is that the Cubs have so few prospects in their system. For Epstein to give any up would hurt. His biggest priority - as he and general manager Jed Hoyer have said the past couple of days - is getting good players in their farm system.

The key word in the compensation issue is “significant.’’ It’s unclear whether anything was put in writing or whether this is a gentleman’s agreement, with the sides acting in good faith to get the deal done. But the Sox are digging in their heels.

“They should have never made the deal to let Theo go without the compensation being resolved,’’ said an executive from an American League team. “How can you expect Theo to be able to negotiate a deal for himself? How is he supposed to reach agreement on a significant player for himself? I think that’s asking something unrealistic."
Region Philbis

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 11:29 am
@Ragman,

yeah -- really dumb move on our part.
theo/jed are taking their sweet time, and ben's letting it drag on...
Region Philbis

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 11:37 am
@Ragman,
Quote:
Available closers include Ryan Madson, Francisco Rodriguez, Brad Lidge, and Francisco Cordero.
The Sox also could trade for a closer. Colorado is reportedly willing to discuss Huston Street.
(globe)
not thrilled with any of these choices.
minny just signed matt capps, so joe nathan may be another possibility...

if the sawx decide to cut ties with wake, he could, as his agent said, "go win 15 games for someone else."
possibly in the NL, where they haven't seen his knuckler much...

i think both wake and 'tek are outta here.
'tek may end up in a baltimore reunion with duquette...
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 11:37 am
@Region Philbis,
I imagine they're stumped due to the unusual circumstances, though there has been a precedent for this; however, in the precedent, the other team had worthwhile talent to offer. Cubs don't.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 04:37 am

big papi ain't goin' nowhere...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 03:55 pm

bobby V wasted little time today immersing himself into the sawx-yanks rivalry...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 11:19 am

sawx have apparently found a closer -- Mark Melancon...
Ragman

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 12:27 pm
@Region Philbis,
FWI, I'd be happier if they had a parallel relief pitching solution..like a co-closer. Maybe it'll happen anyway.

I read his stats and I'm not so impressed. Also, it'll take him a whole season to get the hang of AL parks and the hitters and tendencies in the clutch. So Red Sawx relief corps exposes them. Maybe Bard can help out there, too?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2011 04:48 am
Quote:
By now, it appears clear that the Boston Red Sox won't be making a killing in any compensation deal for
Theo Epstein. The issue has essentially been treated as an afterthought, with MLB commissioner Bud Selig
evidently deciding that the clubs had more pressing matters -- hiring managers, building staffs, roster moves --
which is why he backed off his earlier pledge to step in and resolve the issue.

At this stage, it would come as a surprise if the Red Sox receive more than a run-of-the-mill prospect or two
from the Chicago Cubs for Epstein, although the sides have reached agreement on one issue, according to a
major league source. Epstein, who this week hired an area scout from the Red Sox, Matt Corey, and promoted
him to national cross-checker, will be prohibited from adding anyone else from the Red Sox for a period of
three years.
(espn)
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2011 07:12 am

the coaching staff is starting to take shape.

jerry royster replaces tim bogar as 3rd base coach,
and bogar is promoted to bench coach.

a new pitching coach has been selected, but will not be
announced until he signs a contract.
speculation is it's going to be bob mcclure.

we still need a 1st base coach...
Ragman

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2011 07:38 am
@Region Philbis,
What about the fan coach?
Region Philbis

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2011 05:32 pm
@Ragman,

Alex Ochoa is the new 1st base coach...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 06:39 am

we got a closer...
Quote:
A's ship Andrew Bailey to Boston

Bobby Valentine has found his new man for the back end of the Boston bullpen.

The Oakland Athletics traded All-Star closer Andrew Bailey and outfielder Ryan Sweeney to the
Red Sox on Wednesday for outfielder Josh Reddick and infield prospect Miles Head and minor
league pitcher Raul Alcantara.

"I'm excited, obviously," Bailey said. "It's an organization that continues to win each and every
year and they're definitely a contender each and every year.

"I'm grateful that the Red Sox saw value in me. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't excited about being
a Red Sox."

In the deal, Bailey gives the Red Sox a reliable ninth-inning guy to replace the departed Jonathan
Papelbon, who signed a $50 million, four-year contract as a free agent with the Philadelphia Phillies
in November.

"Andrew's a proven top-quality closer in the American League. He's done it for three years and has
had a lot of success," said general manager Ben Cherington. "He's converted a very high percentage
of his opportunities. He's got the stuff and we really like his makeup for Boston."
(espn)
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2012 12:15 pm

so, heidi watney broke her collarbone -- playing ultimate frisbee.
see what happens when you leave?
nothing but bad things...
Rockhead

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2012 11:02 pm
@Region Philbis,
good bye Scutaro, hello Roy Oswalt...?

"The Colorado Rockies acquired infielder Marco Scutaro from the Red Sox for right-hander Clayton Mortensen on Saturday in a surprising trade that could pave the way for top Boston prospect Jose Iglesias to take over at shortstop sooner than expected..."

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AvnkORTiw7GmHXgI9VxUNxcRvLYF?slug=ap-redsox-rockiestrade
Region Philbis

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2012 08:09 am
@Rockhead,

sure looks like it.
scute's a gamer, and will be missed...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2012 09:47 am

RF cody ross is also in the mix...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 08:47 pm

since oswalt prolly doesn't wanna play here, the offer has also been extended to edwin jackson,
who is < cliche alert > AL battle-tested...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 05:49 pm

introducing... New Heidi!

Quote:
Report: Jenny Dell to replace Watney

NESN has yet to announce it, but former ESPN AccuScore anchor Jenny Dell will replace Heidi Watney
as Red Sox in-game reporter, according to The Boston Globe.

Watney left NESN recently and took a job in California with Time Warner Cable.

Dell is a UMass graduate who worked on and off-camera for ESPN, most recently involved with the
Winter X Games. Her AccuScore video segments, which broke down weekly NFL match-ups, were a
popular standard feature on ESPN.com.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2012/0127/bos_m_dell_sy_200.jpg
(espn)