The Official a2k Virtual Red Sox Luxury Box is Now Open!

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 21 May, 2011 08:03 am
@jjorge,

not much pitching on either side last night -- combined there were 20 runs scored, 31 hits.
cubbies did themselves in with 4 errors and 6 walks.

win streak is up to 7...
1/2 game outta 1st, 1/2 game ahead of NYY... Mr. Green
Ragman

Reply Sat 21 May, 2011 10:53 am
@Region Philbis,
I love seeing the Sawx bats wake up at same time their top-notch pitching is round into form. Crawford is still in the shits. Now if his bat also wakes up, they can pitch the ushers and STILL do pretty well. Yanks are demoralized as an organization. I've not seen anything quite as sad as this except for last year's Cleve Cadavers in NBA or those LA Fakers.

The whacky thing is now that I live close enough to Tampa Bay to go see them play them, it'll be such a treat. I'll bet there's a whole lot of us Sawx-lovers down here that could make a lot of noise for the away-team when they play the current-first-place-holding Rays.
jjorge

Reply Sat 21 May, 2011 11:09 am
@Ragman,
"...Cleve Cadavers ... LA Fakers..."

LOL! I love it.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 06:04 am

still trying to figure out what the F happened in the 8th inning last night... and why wasn't bard pitching??
damn cricket uni's...

hope marlon byrd's gonna be ok...
Ragman

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 06:33 am
@Region Philbis,
Bard was making too many appearances in consecutive or nearly-consecutive days. Francona wanted to give him a rest. Oops! Not with pitching this guy!
Region Philbis

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 08:05 am
@Ragman,

one of the few times i disagree with tito.
the kid's 26 -- he can rest in november.
ok, you don't want him to get injured... but he didn't pitch in friday's romp!
surely he can pitch an inning every other day...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 04:52 am

vintage wake (6-2/3, 1 run, 4 hits, 3 K's) last night.
win #194 for the oldest geezer to ever wear a red sawx uni...
Ragman

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 01:05 pm
@Region Philbis,
As somewhat of an aside, Wake should be made a permanent part of Red Sox organization....albeit a coach or something. No one has meant more to the modern organization except Roger Clemens whose stats, BTW, he just passed.
jjorge

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 03:23 pm
@Ragman,
Agreed! Whether it's as a coach or a scout or a RS goodwill 'Ambassador' some ongoing role should be found for him when he retires from active playing.

He has been a 'good soldier' for the Red Sox for years, willingly filling in as starter or reliever -whatever was needed. Having been a member of the Sox for sixteen years, he is much beloved by the fans and he represents a thread of continuity to many important RS events.

Wake is also known for his charitable donations and is a winner of the Roberto Clemente award for same.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Wakefield
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 04:19 pm
@jjorge,

yeah, i'll never forget how he stepped aside so jon lester could take his place on the WS roster in '07.
talk about a class act...
Ragman

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 05:13 pm
@Region Philbis,
He was a multiple recipient of Roberto Clemente award. That award is granted to special type of ball player. It's dedicated to rewarding a player for contributions on and OFF the field. Bottom line is that he's a real mensche. To say the least, he has never caused a problem within any organization to which he's been associated.

I wonder if, once he hangs up his cleats, making him the pitching coach is enough. I'd love to see the organization within the minor leagues benefit from his talents, should he be willing to go that way.

From Wiki:
"Wakefield is well known throughout Major League Baseball as one of its most charitable players. He has been nominated eight times by the Red Sox for the Roberto Clemente Award, presented to the player who best reflects the spirit of giving back to the community, winning the award in 2010.

Since 1998, Wakefield has partnered with the Franciscan Hospital for Children in Boston to bring patients to Fenway Park to share time with him on and off the field. He has also hosted an annual celebrity golf tournament for 18 years. Wakefield has also been active with New England's Pitching in for Kids organization (a program dedicated to improving the lives of children across the New England region), the Space Coast Early Intervention Center in Melbourne, Florida, and the Touch 'Em All Foundation founded by Garth Brooks.

In 2007, Wakefield released a charity wine called CaberKnuckle in association with Longball Vineyards with 100% of the proceeds supporting Pitching In For Kids and raised more than $100,000."
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 12:27 pm

sawx kicking some ass in day baseball.
7-zip, bott 4th @ detroit... a day after creaming cleveland 14-2...
George

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 01:41 pm
@Region Philbis,
I gotta pay more attention to the Sox.
I can't figure out who these pitchers are.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 01:45 pm
@Region Philbis,
Watching Cubby batters swinging at every first pitch made me think the manager must have taken the night off.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 02:35 pm
The Tigers are down 14-1, it's the end of the 8th and there's a rain delay.
Seriously, a rain delay???
What's the freakin point?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 05:35 pm

while all eyes have been focused on gonzalez and crawford, big papi is quietly hitting lights out.
up to .325 and 13 dingers, he was named AL player of the week...
Ragman

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 05:44 pm
@Region Philbis,
There's grit and heart (staying power) inside the man, IMHO. He's the non-Chris Bosh. LOL!

Hes the 'Team offesnsive leader in OBP (almost .400) and Slugging (almost .600). Not too bad, huh? Let's see where they are after the Yankees series.
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2011 08:23 am
@Region Philbis,
It's great to see Big Papi doing so well. I hope Boston re-signs him for 2-3 years, and, when he eventually retires, that he stays involved with the Sox!
Ragman

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2011 02:46 pm
@jjorge,
Totally agree because unlike many others athletes, he 'gets it'!
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2011 04:29 pm

pap is appealing the 3-game suspension handed down today by the league
for bumping an umpire during saturday's wild comeback win.

he should be available tonight -- not sure about the rest of the week...
0 Replies