John Birch Society

plainoldme

Fri 2 Apr, 2010 06:00 pm
I went to college with a girl from my hometown of Dearborn, MI. While I won't tell you what her name is, the name is derived from a word meaning blackbird and she would piously say it was a variant of Mary, as in the BVM.

She was an only child whose parents had "to doctor" to have her. They were married in a military chapel in uniform during WWII and their daughter wanted to follow exactly in their footsteps.

Her mother was a member of the JBS but would not let the daughter join and she was headed for a career in the military and mom was afraid she might not get her commission if she joined the society. Mom also forbade daughter to major in political science because Mom would be unable to censor what was taught . . . in Detroit from Dearborn. She instead majored in history.

I should say that the chair of the Department of Political Science and History was a refugee from Cuba, kicked out by Castro.

While she went around the college smiling and talking to people, she made no friends. She was always telling people that they were "duped by the Communists." I inverted her slogan, making it duped by the Capitalists.

When we took the Graduate Record Exam, our kindly chairman simply left our scores on a table in his office. Another friend of mine, a history major and I went to fetch our scores after our chair reminded us they were waiting. We found three folded pieces of paper, ours and the would-be Bircher. She scored in the second percentile, which meant that only 1% of the graduating seniors in history scored below her.

0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Fri 2 Apr, 2010 06:11 pm
@dyslexia,
The guy that started it -- what's'isname? Welch? -- is he still alive? If not, who's running it now?
edgarblythe

Fri 2 Apr, 2010 06:13 pm
http://www.jbs.org/
Here is the JBS take on the news of today. This is a page from their official site.
msolga

Fri 2 Apr, 2010 06:48 pm
@edgarblythe,
Thanks edgar

Very informative indeed.

Article # 1

The insincere hit job on the Catholic church:
http://www.jbs.org/jbs-news-feed/6164-the-insincere-media-hit-job-on-the-catholic-church

Crikey, sounds a really terrific organization! Neutral
plainoldme

Fri 2 Apr, 2010 07:47 pm
@msolga,
I got about four paragraphs into your link and couldn't stomach any more
msolga

Fri 2 Apr, 2010 08:09 pm
@plainoldme,
I'm not surprised, POM!

OmSigDAVID

Fri 2 Apr, 2010 08:14 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:
ebrown p wrote:
((so you can step away from Joe McCarthy now))

he's not trying to revive him, i think they're just making out
Tho I never had the honor of meeting him,
I embrace Joe McCarthy in spirit.

David
Merry Andrew

Fri 2 Apr, 2010 08:15 pm
Well, at least now I know their CEO is someone named Arthur R. Thompson.
OmSigDAVID

Fri 2 Apr, 2010 08:20 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:
The guy that started it -- what's'isname? Welch? -- is he still alive? If not, who's running it now?
I heard that he died, years ago.
I don 't know who is running it,
nor what thay r doing.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Fri 2 Apr, 2010 08:24 pm
Welch also started the Welch company that makes grape jelly and bottles the juice.
OmSigDAVID

Fri 2 Apr, 2010 08:24 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:
Well, at least now I know their CEO is someone named Arthur R. Thompson.
He is a different Thompson than the beloved submachinegun.

David
OmSigDAVID

Fri 2 Apr, 2010 08:28 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
Welch also started the Welch company that makes grape jelly and bottles the juice.
I 'll make a note to drink more of it.
He had his heart in the right place,
but he did the Anti-communist cause a disservice
thru his conspicuous, absurd exaggeration.

I woud have joined, in the spirit of Anti-communism
but I had to reject that foolishness of exaggeration.

David
0 Replies

plainoldme

Fri 2 Apr, 2010 08:29 pm
@msolga,
It wasn't exactly cheerful reading. I do try to understand the right and to be tolerant of their rantings . . . but . . . there is a limit.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Fri 2 Apr, 2010 08:37 pm

Speaking generally,
I 've known crazy people some of whom voted against my preferred candidates
and other crazy people who voted for them.

There is a limit to how much foolishness I can accept from ANYONE, left or right.
Merry Andrew

Fri 2 Apr, 2010 09:08 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
There is a limit to how much foolishness I can accept from ANYONE, left or right.

Good for you, David. From time to time you actually say something sensible now and again.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Fri 2 Apr, 2010 09:27 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Or, Hunter S.
ebrown p

Fri 2 Apr, 2010 09:53 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:

After ruining the lives of many good Americans, one of whom I happen to know and respect, McCarthy slunk off the public stage in disgrace. He died a depressed, miserable drunk.

I piss on Joe McCarthy's pathetic corpse in spirit. Long may he remain a figure of scorn.
edgarblythe

Fri 2 Apr, 2010 10:16 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

Quote:

After ruining the lives of many good Americans, one of whom I happen to know and respect, McCarthy slunk off the public stage in disgrace. He died a depressed, miserable drunk.

I piss on Joe McCarthy's pathetic corpse in spirit. Long may he remain a figure of scorn.

amen, brother brown and brother david.
ebrown p

Fri 2 Apr, 2010 10:23 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
amen, brother brown and brother david.

For what it is worth... I do hope I didn't get any piss on David.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Fri 2 Apr, 2010 10:58 pm
david don't mind. He loves McCarthy and McCarthy was full of piss.

1. Forums
  2. » John Birch Society
  3. » Page 2
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 06/01/2024 at 02:12:34