[resolved]URL Link Scroll Bars & Such Are Missing

Piffka

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 12:55 pm
This post was on another thread, but I was asked to repost on a new thread....

This is a new problem for me.

It used to be that when I clicked on a link, I would get the full link with navigation bars. In the last week, while I don't remember making any changes to my computer, now I don't get those navigation bars. This means that I can only read the part of the article that is visible on screen, then I have to find the article through a Google search and open it in yet another window if I want to read the rest.

I'm sure it is something dumb I've done to my computer, since no one else seems to be complaining about this problem, but it is getting time-consuming. Can anybody help me here?

(Have I made the problem clear? When I click on a link, I can see the link but it is sort of "naked". I don't get any of the bars on the right or on the top of the page, so I can't page down, check the address bar or ANYTHING else, except X it out! Very inconvenient and I'm sure it is all my fault. Aggh.)

Oh. I have Windows NT for home use.
added edit -- (Oops, XP for home use -- see, I am an idjit when it comes to computers.)

A gazillion thanks for any help you can offer!
Piffka
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,017 • Replies: 25
No top replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 12:58 pm
from Craven
Quote:
What browser do you use and when did this start happening and does it happen outside of A2K?

from Timberlandko
Quote:
Piffka, apart from answering CdK's questions, could you do a "Copy-and-Paste" here of some of the links you're having trouble with, or give us the URLs of the particular posts in which they appear?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 12:58 pm
Thanks for looking at this so quickly.

Craven - I use Internet Explorer and this started sometime in the last couple of weeks. It was just an annoyance at first, but gee whiz, it is a trial to me. I haven't noticed it outside of a2k... wait, I'll check. Nope, I just got an email from Hebba and checked the link he sent. Hebba's Link It was fine from the email but when I reach it through here, I don't have any navigation.

(He says, btw, that his a2k account is terminated and he wonders about that.) Quote:
I updated my profile,changed email address.
Then I was told that my account had been terminated...!!Hebba,terminated!

Timber -- Every URL link from a2k does this, even the ones I've added like the one above! (Is that stupid, or what?) I'm sure it must be in my machine... but waaaaaah, I am not clever about this, sadly. It is probably some simple thing.

Thanks for your help.

Nevermind about Hebba, he's apparently back in.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 01:00 pm
Sozobe asked:
Quote:
Do you click on the link directly, or right-click and "open in new window"?

Craven said:
Quote:
When you say 'navigation' do you mean scrollbars or the url or..

And would you mind opening a new thread about this? It'll help me track whether it's been resolved or not.

Good news about Hebba, about par for the course since most 'lockouts' are resolved by the time I hear about them.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 01:02 pm
Sozobe, I LEFT click on it directly and it used to open a new window with a whole complement of scroll bars on the right, and navigation & address bars on top.

Now, those aren't there, but it is still a new window.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 01:05 pm
Craven -- I mean all that stuff. The only thing I get when I left click on the URL link is the website itself plus a blue bar on top that has the three "make bigger," "make smaller" and "exit" buttons. The problem is, I can't make the website scroll down so I can read it all and I don't have the right address since there is not address window.

(Yep, it is nice to have Hebba back.)
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 01:07 pm
dunno what the problem might be ... that link gives me this:

http://www.able2know.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10156/normal_Screen01.JPG

Perfectly normal, as far as I can tell. Puzzling. Can you give us a screenshot?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 01:12 pm
Oh, hey ... mebbe not the answer at all, but try hitting your "F-11" key once while you're having that problem and see what happens.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 01:13 pm
piffka,

It might not be on your end. I just changed the way the forum software works so please click on this link and tell me what happens:

THIS LINK
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 01:26 pm
For what its worth, I get this:
http://www.able2know.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10156/normal_Screen03.JPG

Seemed to take a while longer than usual to open, though ... dunno if that has anything to do with whatever change CdK effected.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 02:28 pm
I forget how to do a screen shot, but the link that Craven posted worked!

Yayaayaa.

Everything seems slow on my computer so I didn't notice anything different. Now to go and see whether other links work, too.

What would F11 do? When I have the problem again, I will.

Thanks, a million thanks!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 02:30 pm
It's not over yet piffka. This is a weird one and i'll need you to do a lot more testing since I have no idea what's up with your computer.

sigh, sounds like a major pain in the ass, I'll deal with it later if you are on the boards at the same time.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 02:31 pm
get:
http://www.cnn.com/
and other pop-up ads
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 02:37 pm
Oh. Craven, it isn't fixed? Bummer. It seemed fixed. Well, I'd be glad to help by testing today, but I'll be gone for the weekend starting tomorrow morning.

Still, I'm glad that I finally decided to bring this up.

Husker, what?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 02:38 pm
What are you talking about Husker? If you are getting popup ads get the spyware off your computer because neither A2K or CNN use them.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 03:05 pm
I got a pop-up in a few minutes - gunna scan the PC. you and them was the only windows I had open and our firewall is a tight one - we'll have fun in a few. Wink

oh - yeah if anyone is gunna catch something here in the office it's me - I caught a bad one about 5 months ago and it took about 2 weeks to get all gone, without turning over my machine, they I/S guys don't like doing that cause I have lots of prioritary s/w working and, they'd rather make me exercise that do the rollover - that's hard on them too Wink
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 11:40 pm
I note that "Avenue A" tries to inflict a cookie on me every time I load an A2K page, but it has no chance of doing so ... and I've long since instructed my security software to stop advising me of the failed attempts. I see no ads, or popups/popunders, period, on any website, unless I have specifically authorized some particular website to serve them to me. I'm sure I miss a lot, but I can live with that.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 11:48 pm
I get notifications of pop-up ad attempts from the AOL pop-up blocker. However, they are from visting other sites doing research for questions while the A2K window is open. A2K isn't the source, it just happens to be a witness to the other site trying to mug the blocker.

Maybe that's what you're experiencing, Husker. If not, you might want to run an ad-ware program to see what has snuck onto your computer.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 02:32 pm
Piffka can you try it again?

Click the link and tell me if it works this time (I've changed the forum coding again):

http://www.cnn.com/
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 10:07 am
Craven, it worked for me this morning, but I'm not home, so I suppose it could still be messing up on my regular computer, but it was good here.

Thanks! I'll recheck later on the home beast to make sure.
0 Replies