limits-calculus

ro14

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 10:31 am
What is a limit... I referred many books and websites for this answer but i am unable to get it.Whatever may be the level i want you to make me understand this one’s answer?

High Seas

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 11:01 am
@ro14,
Do a search for "asymptotic limit" instead: if you only search for "limit" you're unlikely to find the mathematical meaning.

Here's an example of an asymptotic limit (blue line) you want to approximate by using small straight lines, or steps. As you make steps smaller and smaller (red function) the red line comes closer and closer to the blue line (its asymptotic limit) but never quite overlaps with it completely until and unless you use an infinite number of steps:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/22/HarmonicNumbers.svg/400px-HarmonicNumbers.svg.png

This is a specific function (for harmonic numbers) but if you search for asymptotic limit images you'll find lots more.
ro14

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 03:49 am
@High Seas,
What are the lines and curves related with. What is the make of curve and other.
High Seas

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 01:09 pm
@ro14,
The BLUE curve is the LIMIT of the RED curve, as I said before.

The idea is to find the LIMIT of a function as you approach it by taking smaller and smaller steps. You better read this through carefully , especially the part about elementary functions - it's the paragraph that starts with:
Quote:
Asymptotes of many elementary functions can be found without the explicit use of limits (although the derivations of such methods typically use limits)...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asymptote

Since I already explained twice in the simplest possible terms the relation of the blue and red lines in the graph I posted you should be able to understand it, and it's not possible to answer you in any more detail. If your problem is with English, look up all the terms in a dictionary.
0 Replies