We Need the Second Bill of Rights NOW!

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 12:31 pm
Quote:
PREAMBLE

Whereas recognition of the inherent dignity and of the equal and inalienable rights of all members of the human family is the foundation of freedom, justice and peace in the world,

Whereas disregard and contempt for human rights have resulted in barbarous acts which have outraged the conscience of mankind, and the advent of a world in which human beings shall enjoy freedom of speech and belief and freedom from fear and want has been proclaimed as the highest aspiration of the common people,

Whereas it is essential, if man is not to be compelled to have recourse, as a last resort, to rebellion against tyranny and oppression, that human rights should be protected by the rule of law,

Whereas it is essential to promote the development of friendly relations between nations,

Whereas the peoples of the United Nations have in the Charter reaffirmed their faith in fundamental human rights, in the dignity and worth of the human person and in the equal rights of men and women and have determined to promote social progress and better standards of life in larger freedom,

Whereas Member States have pledged themselves to achieve, in co-operation with the United Nations, the promotion of universal respect for and observance of human rights and fundamental freedoms,

Whereas a common understanding of these rights and freedoms is of the greatest importance for the full realization of this pledge,

Now, Therefore THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY proclaims THIS UNIVERSAL DECLARATION OF HUMAN RIGHTS as a common standard of achievement for all peoples and all nations, to the end that every individual and every organ of society, keeping this Declaration constantly in mind, shall strive by teaching and education to promote respect for these rights and freedoms and by progressive measures, national and international, to secure their universal and effective recognition and observance, both among the peoples of Member States themselves and among the peoples of territories under their jurisdiction.

Thus is the preamble of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. FDR's Second Bill of Rights would have turned these human rights into law in the United States.

[Incomplete video of FDR's Fireside Chat]

Quote:
We have come to a clear realization of the fact that true individual freedom cannot exist without economic security and independence. Necessitous men are not free men. People who are hungry and out of a job are the stuff of which dictatorships are made.

In our day these economic truths have become accepted as self-evident. We have accepted, so to speak, a second Bill of Rights under which a new basis of security and prosperity can be established for all " regardless of station, race, or creed. Among these are:

Opportunity
 The right to a useful and remunerative job…
 The right to a good education.
 The right of every businessman, large and small, to trade in an atmosphere of freedom from unfair competition and domination by monopolies…

Security
 The right to adequate protection from the economic fears of old age, sickness, accident, and unemployment.
 The right to adequate medical care and the opportunity to achieve and enjoy good health.
 The right of every family to a decent home.
 The right to earn enough to provide adequate food and clothing and recreation.

The UN's Declaration of Human Rights needs to be enacted and enforced.
http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,790 • Replies: 5
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 12:34 pm
what are you, some kind of communist Wink
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 12:47 pm
@djjd62,
Ask me this in a week when I'm not so riled up and royally depressed after watching Michael Moore's latest downer Capitalism: A Love Story. Right now I'm in the mood for marching down to Home Depot and buying me a pitchfork and starting a march on Wall Street. Mad
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 01:29 pm
Wow! I can just feel all the cyber ranters heading this way . . . ready to call you guys all sorts of names!
djjd62

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 01:32 pm
@plainoldme,
bring it on, i can't be insulted, i'm insultated against any thing that can be said about me
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 01:33 pm
@plainoldme,
<<whimper whimper>> And I'm not ready for the onslaught of uneducated hate either. Sad
0 Replies