Who's who of the 'worst of the worst' list of human rights violators

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 04:27 pm
Quote:
Burma tops 'worst of the worst' list of human rights violators
Libya, just elected to the United Nations Human Rights Council, also appears on Freedom House's 'Worst of the worst' list of human rights violators.

By Howard LaFranchi, Staff writer / June 3, 2010
Washington
The hit parade of the world’s worst human rights violators is out, and it reads like a rap sheet of the usual suspects.

The “worst of the worst,” as Washington-based human rights watchdog Freedom House calls them, is comprised of nine countries and one territory: Burma, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Libya, North Korea, Somalia, Sudan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, and Tibet (under Chinese jurisdiction).

What Freedom House calls “shameful” is that one of those “worst” " Libya " was just elected to the United Nations’ premier human rights organization, the Human Rights Council. Moreover, three countries on the organization’s expanded list of countries with only slightly better human-rights records " China, Cuba, and Saudi Arabia " are already members.

For the rest of the article:
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2010/0603/Burma-tops-worst-of-the-worst-list-of-human-rights-violators
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,345 • Replies: 1
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 05:57 pm
@tsarstepan,
I'm not quite in the mood to read this depresssing stuff, but I will, and need to look into what is going on in Eritrea now, as I have/had a batch of friends from there some years ago. It would be odd to contact the main guy some 35 years after we were all friends, but I'd like to know if his family is ok.
0 Replies