Carry On Luggage?

Mumpad

Sun 28 Mar, 2010 01:18 am
Dadpad & I are heading overseas later this year. We wish to take only carry on luggage (ie one bag each).

The airline that we are using has an allowance of 50cm x 37cm x25 cm (19.7" x 10.45" x 9.8"), weighting 7kg (15.4lb). I would like a bag that can be carried by hand, over the shoulder, or as a backpack.

I have seen several online (eg Tom Bihn) that look good, but cost over $AUS300. I would prefer something under $AUS100.

For those of you who travel, any suggestions? What do you use? What do you think of Rick Steves' products?
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41-0E3PyPcL._SL160_AA160_.jpg

This is the kind of bag for which we are looking, but we are interested in your experiences.

roger

Sun 28 Mar, 2010 01:26 am
@Mumpad,
I can't get specific, but if LL Bean is an alternative in Australia, you might take a look at what they have to offer.

Sorry Tom Bihn turned out to be so pricey. I have a one strap back pack from him designed mostly for carrying a laptop and a book or two. It is so comfortable I have at times for gotten I was wearing it. First rate in all other areas as well, except the color (plum) is a little more flamboyant than I prefer.
roger

Sun 28 Mar, 2010 01:27 am
@roger,
As an afterthought, you might also check out a few bicycle messenger bags.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Sun 28 Mar, 2010 02:24 am
Any luggage which isn't hand-luggage should be STRONG enough to survive the procedures of being thrown around ..

Until last year, I never had have any difficulties with my photo-rucksack (about 10 kilograms) as hand-luggage. (But usually at security.) That might be different now.

Since you're overseas for more than a couple of days and perhaps under different weather conditions, I suppose, you'll have perhaps to swallow the bitter pill and pay some extra fees for the luggage (especially, when you use budget airlines).
0 Replies

saab

Sun 28 Mar, 2010 09:55 am
I agree with Walter.
I travel a lot and 7 kilos is very little for several days and different types of weather.
Put whatever you think you need on a scale and go from there.
Shoes are heavy. You need an extra per of good comfortable shoes in case of rain and you should have a lighter pair too. Rainjacket, light sweater or two, T-shirts and extra jeans. What about guide books?
How about toothpaste and other articles like that? As far as I know you are only allowed to take very small packages.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sun 28 Mar, 2010 10:09 am
@Mumpad,
To get a bag that can be used as you hope to use it - at neglible weight - I suspect you will be looking at something at the higher end in cost. The less expensive bags usually weigh more.

If you will be gone for more than a week, and have any type of formal event to attend which will involve specialized clothing, you may want to reconsider carry-on only.
0 Replies

TTH

Sun 28 Mar, 2010 11:14 am
@Mumpad,
I use Cordura and it has held up very well. It is reasonably priced.
0 Replies

boomerang

Sun 28 Mar, 2010 01:44 pm
I just went throught this luggage buying thing! Ack. How frustrating. I couldn't believe how expensive small bags are. I think it must be because the airlines are charging so much for bags now that everyone is looking for little ones.

Mr. B didn't want to pay extra for luggage so we needed a bag that fit the carry on requirements. I found an Olympia bag that seemed really well made.

I paid about $ for it at one of the discount stores here (Ross Dress For Less).

I think it was the red bag shown here: http://www.luggageamerica.com/?script=product_info&products_id=417
tsarstepan

Sun 28 Mar, 2010 01:52 pm
@Mumpad,
I'd consider the more expensive bags as an investment as when it comes to luggage, the adage ... you get what you pay for is an apt philosophy. Considering one baggage will have to contain all of your needed worldly goods for the trip, durability and functionality are important.

If this trip was to be your last trip abroad in your life then the cheaper luggage would make sense. But what good would a cheap bit of luggage be if you need to buy a new set of bags after they become relatively useless after a single trip or two overseas trips.

BTW: It's a pleasure to finally get to meet the infamous ... (oops my faux pas) ... the famously loved Mumpad. I've heard many good things about ye from the DP of the family. Very Happy
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Sun 28 Mar, 2010 02:01 pm
@boomerang,
I suppose that my previous 'advice' (and that might be the reason for saab's response, too) is influenced by our European baggage regulations: 20 kg (44lb) free within Europe plus hand-luggage, 2 suitcase of each 23 kg on oversea flights pus hand-luggage.
(Hand-luggage is limited to 8 kg - that's why I normally should have had difficulties with my photo equipment.)

Only the really cheap budget airlines charge for luggage here (and thus you pay, with all their additional fees, nearly as much as if choosing a regular airline.)
saab

Sun 28 Mar, 2010 11:01 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
My daughter flew from Dublin to Frankfurt.
One way ticket was Euro 30 and she had to pay Euro 18 for the luggage.
I wanted to give her the ticket and tried to buy it where I live and then I would have had to pay Euro 300 for one way. Only if she bought it in Dublin she got the cheap ticket.
0 Replies

margo

Sun 28 Mar, 2010 11:31 pm
G'day mumpad

Good luck with the 7kg carry on only bit. I know I sure as hell couldn't do it and I've travelled a lot.

I seem to recall that Sweden and Scotland are in your plans. So you'll need a bloody good raincoat and good shoes (or is it just that whenever I go to Sweden it rains on me!) I've never been to Scotland, but friends living there warned me about the rain (they just moved from Sweden to the west coast)

I had a look at the Luggage Professionals http://theluggageprofessionals.com.au/
but even the lightest packs seemed to weigh too much.
Perhaps some of the hiking or adventure companies (Paddy Pallin, Katmandu, etc.) would have suggestions.
0 Replies

margo

Sun 28 Mar, 2010 11:54 pm
I've used Sydney Luggage Centre a number of times over the years.

This one looks a bit like on of the Tom Bihn ones - and may fit your needs - at considerably lower cost.
http://www.sydneyluggagecentre.com.au/secureshop/product.php?ProductID=1261
If you're interested but unsure, I can wander in to the city store and have a look.
0 Replies

dadpad

Mon 29 Mar, 2010 05:17 am
Thanks all for the info thus far.
Walter said
Quote:
European baggage regulations: 20 kg (44lb) free within Europe plus hand-luggage, 2 suitcase of each 23 kg on oversea flights pus hand-luggage.
(Hand-luggage is limited to 8 kg

We are allowed 20 Kg luggage as well as 7 kg carry on however we are trying to do without another suitcase as its just another thing to lug around, and if we dont have to wait for baggage handling I think we can save a lot of time at airports. No chance of lost luggage either.
saab

Mon 29 Mar, 2010 08:34 am
@dadpad,
Scotland is cooler often than Sweden in the summertime.
Sweden has sometimes very warm between 25 - 35 C but it can also be cool and rainy. Depending if you are at the coast or inland it either rains all day or it is just showers. June / July can vary between 8 - 30 C.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Mon 29 Mar, 2010 09:03 am
When I fly overseas I don't have any carry-on (aside from a big handbag)
and just use a suitcase. There is no baggage charge when flying overseas, only
within Europe.

You might make it with 7 kg and buy in Sweden/Scotland whatever you need additionally and buy a suitcase for your way home (it shouldn't be a problem then).
Walter Hinteler

Mon 29 Mar, 2010 09:20 am
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:
There is no baggage charge when flying overseas, only
within Europe.

That certainly depends on the airline (e.g. Lufthansa and Air Berlin don't charge you, only for more than 20kg).

(A PS for Mampad: noc charges on ferries and in cars as well Wink
0 Replies

ossobuco

Mon 29 Mar, 2010 09:23 am
I'm excited for you about your trip, you two..

When I travel in the US, I tend to take checked baggage. To Italy, except for the first time that was a good lesson in what not to bring, I've always taken only a regulation carry on and a big purse. My last trip, now a decade ago, was for 30 days in April and included rain. I wore my raincoat on the planes and trains and took only one pair of shoes, on my feet. I was lucky as I wasn't in a deluge and the shoes may have gotten a little wet but no big deal. The trip before, yes, a deluge, and I had to squish around for a day in my black leather walking shoes (memories of Orvieto).

I learned to loathe every article of clothing I had brought with me. Much hand washing involved in this travel method. I bought some books there, and mailed them along with local maps back to the US from a local post office - a cultural experience - but as to guide books, I had researched before the trip and had some of my own notes in small type and torn out pages from guide books like Let's Go, so they fit in my purse. All in all, I'd do the same thing if I made such a trip again, as I loved the mobility it gave me.

My only question is re purses - for a while there after the latest airline security scare, carry on meant only one item...
You may not intend to take a purse, Mumpad, but it seems to me it would be a little harder without one.

saab

Mon 29 Mar, 2010 09:38 am
I only travel with carry on luggage. Before checking in I put eventuel coat or jacket in the suitcase and only have to carry a small handbag - never use big handbags - in all the long corridors in the airports. For longer trips I take a book along.

PS
Avoid black cloth for Sweden. When the sun shines it is very intensive as it is lower than in Italy.
0 Replies

margo

Mon 29 Mar, 2010 07:51 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
I learned to loathe every article of clothing I had brought with me. Much hand washing involved in this travel method. I All in all, I'd do the same thing if I made such a trip again, as I loved the mobility it gave me.

Osso's right - you'll get absolutely sick of the look of those clothes after a couple of weeks.

You couild do what a friend of mine did - visited the OpShop and picked up some wearable things (cheap as chips) - when she was sick of them, dumped them, visited another OpShop and bought some more. Mind you, it probably helped that she was then the Retail Manager for a big chain of charity stores here.

When I was in England some years back I managed to lose my only jacket (don't ask!) - and as the pound was very strong against the OzBuck, trawled OpShops until I found something vaguely wearable - and left it at the last hotel before the trip home. I didn't mind wearing something pretty ordinary (and ordinary it was, so the photos show!)

ps...happy to look around here for you - or I may be in Melbourne towards the end of May!