http://droidninja.com/?p=30120
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,476 • Replies: 31
No top replies

YankeeDudeL

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 12:34 am
Well...it's certainly about time. And I'm sure those on rooted Droids will say quite emphatically, "Welcome to the 2.1 party!"
farmerman

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 05:26 am
@YankeeDudeL,
Is this the one that theyve fixed all the problems with Motorola's?
The Chief

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 09:05 am
It fixes several things, but I won't be playing. I kind of like having 5 home screens and interactive wallpapers I got with, er, "modifications". You will LOVE the live wallpapers, though, and speech-to-text in all fields. WELCOME TO 2.1! Very Happy
cmacv

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 09:36 am
@The Chief,
it has live wallpapers
0 Replies

cmacv

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 09:39 am
0 Replies

cmacv

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 09:47 am
@farmerman,
all the problems?? its upgrading to the latest version of android. 2.1
farmerman

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 03:24 pm
@cmacv,
Ive only read the reviews on"Wired" (I believe) and they claimed that theMotorola droid was "Not ready for prime time since there were a series of serieous probl;ems"

I have an old B'berry and while its ok, it doesnt have the slick GPS, or airphoto apps like the iPhone. SO, when the droid came out (I hve a verizaon plan) I was hoping I had my mate.
SWO, are you saying that the 2.1 has no problems?
cmacv

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 11:29 pm
@farmerman,
can you post a link to the article you read?
0 Replies

YankeeDudeL

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 07:18 am
@farmerman,
I read on another forum that the problems encountered on the Nexus One's 2.1 was what pushed it back for the Droid. Motorola specifically wanted time to work w/ it to get it right. The Droid can handle just fine. I have my Droid overclocked to 1.2 GHz, and simply put, it's butter.
YankeeDudeL

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 07:22 am
The last time they said we were close to 2.1, live wallpapers didn't make the cut. Now, they're in, but the 3D app drawer and additional home screens are still out. It was this information last time that made me want to root. I completely respect anyone who doesn't, this is still a fantastic phone.
cmacv

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 08:20 am
@farmerman,
1st thing about what you read, check the date posted. I know when the Droid first came out it did have a couple software issues, Like the camera wouldn't focus. Google, Verizon, Motorola had a update for the issues real fast. (Android 2.0.1 )

2nd Make sure what you read isn't a blog. Can you believe people can write what ever they want no matter their agenda? (For instance, Did you know people pay other people to write bogus reviews on the internet to discourage consumers from buying competitors products?)

3rd Make sure the person posting actually used the item. It's amazing how people tell you how great or crappy something is and they never even used, touched, or seen that item.

As far as the Droid goes it may not be the phone for you. If your a fan of Apple and their "slick apps" it most likely will be on Verizon in june. If not and your into Android but not the Droid, the HTC incredible should be available in 2-3 weeks on verizon. I think its a 1gig snapdragon , 8 meg camera running Android 2.1 (Nexus One will be on verizon also this spring but it wont be called a Nexus One. They can no longer use that name so maybe look for the N1 or Gphone. )

0 Replies

cmacv

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 08:23 am
@YankeeDudeL,
I would love to root mine! I'm just scared I'll brick it. And then I'll crack under pressure trying to return it.
linmk2

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 11:52 am
@cmacv,
It looks like 2.1 is on "hold" again.
http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/03/18/motorola-droid-update-delayed/
The Chief

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 01:51 pm
@cmacv,
The new methods for rooting and ROMming are virtually brick-proof. Think about it: out of all the posts in all the forums, how many people have literally bricked their phones rooting?

Not a single one.
cmacv

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 01:55 pm
@linmk2,
ARRRGGG!!!!
The Chief

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 08:04 pm
@cmacv,
UH, What happened to that rollout? LOL do you think Verizon ever plans to release it, or are they just dangling carrots?
cmacv

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 08:51 pm
@The Chief,
Speaking of carrots, you can consider my droid an edible tuber! cause I've had it!
The Chief

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 06:58 am
@cmacv,
I can't imagine any "bug" or "glitch" that is holding up the release. I've had 2.1 for over a week now and it works great. Maybe Pete's custom ROM fixed a problem that the engineers at Verizon can't?
linmk2

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 10:35 am
@The Chief,
Here is what Droid-Life said this Friday morning. The statement does not add any new release information news:

"I wish I had a bunch of wonderful news to drop on your plate this morning, but the 2.1 OTA update world has gone completely silent. We have continued to update this post though, so make sure you check back on it as the day progresses and as anything note-worthy appears, it’ll show up there.

To give you a quick breakdown, this is essentially what we think we know today:

Verizon reportedly contracted with a company called Bitfone to distribute the update. There are rumors now claiming that Bitfone lacks the infrastructure to complete the task and is the sole reason for our delay. With that said, why were there no issues during the 2.0.1 update? Different distributor? As far as I can tell, this update is only 14.8MB which is about a quarter of the size of the 2.0.1 file. The whole, blaiming the distributor idea just seems a little fishy.
Verizon has confirmed via Twitter that the 1,000 test updates were sent out and that the rest of the millions of users will receive theirs, “but not just yet.” We have not had anyone come forward claiming to have been one of the 1,000 in the test group, but are we surprised at that? Being 1 of 1,000 out of a few million is not necessarily amazing odds. We all have to remember that probably 90% of Droid owners don’t even know an update is coming. "