GOP'S SOLUTION TO INSURING THOSE WITH PRE-EXISTING ONDITIONS

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 10:50 am
The GOP solution is to put such people in a high-risk pool. But this would not work, as evidenced by this experiment in Florida. The premiums for those in the pool would be sky-high, unless money comes in from an outside source. Premiums for others would be much lower.

http://www.tnr.com/article/politics/the-gops-pre-existing-ideology?utm_source=TNR+Daily&utm_campaign=ace0b9c36f-TNR_Daily_030210&utm_medium=email
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,798 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 01:19 pm
Many states already have high-risk insurance pools. The problem is that in order to combat what you describe, they limit the number of people that can be in the pool and require that you pay the premiums up front while you are waiting for your turn in the pool.

In California, after being denied coverage by several insurance companies, I applied for the high risk insurance pool and was told there was an 18-month waiting period in which I had to pay the $1200 a month premiums.

My medical problems could not wait the 18 months so I ended up going to the emergency room and getting indigent medical coverage from the good taxpaying folks of California for the $200,000+ hospital bill and I only had to pay $200 of it.

This is not a solution for either health care cost controls or budget deficits.
roger

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 01:56 pm
@Butrflynet,
Even Advocate is entitled to be right once in a while.
Advocate

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 03:30 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Even Advocate is entitled to be right once in a while.

It is a pity that you and the others on the right are never right.
0 Replies