Wild conspiracy theories you find plausible...

sozobe

Tue 2 Mar, 2010 08:02 am
"Plausible" is stretching it a bit but there is something very weird about Sarah Palin's pregnancy story (Trig). She is very weird, and so I tend to think there's nothing in particular there (a weird person was pregnant and did weird things, but was actually pregnant). But Andrew Sullivan keeps worrying at this one and has implied that Levi has some bombshell or another that will come out eventually.
0 Replies

boomerang

Tue 2 Mar, 2010 09:26 am
While I won't go as far as suggesting it was a visitor from another planet, I've always had a tiny bit of doubt that it was a weather balloon that crashed in Roswell.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Tue 2 Mar, 2010 09:52 am
I have believed for many years that in the 1850's, due to a shortage of rags from Europe or elsewhere, New England paper-mills imported mummies from Egypt, stripped them of their linen wrappings and use those wrappings to make high quality paper.

One will never know for sure.

Joe(oh, wait.. http://blog.seattlepi.com/bookpatrol/archives/195111.asp?from=blog_last3)Nation

0 Replies

roger

Tue 2 Mar, 2010 02:04 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

A recent conspiracy theory I entertained was that some of the recent car company woes from companies... not in Detroit, and not bailed out.... Well let's just put it this way, now that the government has such a big stake in certain car manufacturers being successful I wonder how their role of regulating the car manufacturers might be impacted. I don't actually think it is the case so much as I worry about what conflicts of interest there may be.

Obviously, if you are a major shareholder in Chrysler and GM, you have no great interest in the success of Toyota. This is a good theory. There's not only an economic incentive in trashing a foreign car company. Some policy makers would be facing the humililation of the unemployment line if those two companies were to crater.

Actually, that's not the way it works. If GM fails (again) they will get more handouts, not less.
Robert Gentel

Tue 2 Mar, 2010 02:27 pm
@roger,
Yes and it just seems that the recalls they are facing have a more severe edge to them than previous, more-serious issues have. I think it's probably just a coincidence but I also think that this particular climate being what it is lends a lot of motivation (even just personal motivations of not wanting the foreign brand to do so well while domestic ones are in tatters) to stick it to other companies where you can.

But it was only a fleeting theory, I don't really think it's happening, but I do easily see how it could happen and mainly just want to emphasize how fast I want the government to stop being such a large stakeholder in industries it regulates. There is a clear conflict of interest and if it lasts long enough I don't think corruption is unlikely.
0 Replies

Letty

Tue 2 Mar, 2010 02:28 pm
I still believe that Anastasia Romanov did not die at the hands of the revolutionists.

http://pharaoh30.tripod.com/index-2.html

0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 2 Mar, 2010 02:31 pm
I blame the French . . .
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Wed 3 Mar, 2010 04:28 pm
I really believe the nice man who sent me an email explaining how he needs help in sending $337,987,543.18 to the United States from his home in Nigeria.

Joe(If I only had the $12,342.00 fee to send to him. [sigh])Nation
0 Replies