Michigan Man Held in Death of Toddler

oralloy

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 12:30 pm
GRAND RAPIDS -- Jozlynn Martinez, the 2-year-old Grand Rapids girl missing since Tuesday, is dead, police said tonight. The announcement came hours after Jeffrey Lynn Malmberg was arraigned on kidnapping charges tied to Jozzlyn's disappearance from their home at 915 Nagold St. NW.

The girl's mother, Consuela Martinez, 21, told police she last saw the brown-eyed girl late Monday night.

Police Chief Kevin Belk said Malmberg, the mother's live-in boyfriend, told investigators Jozlynn Martinez died at the home at 915 Nagold NW on Monday night.

Authorities have not said how they believe the little girl died.

Malmberg told police Jozlynn's body was taken to a commercial trash Dumpster several blocks away from the home. Trash pickup area in the area was Thursday morning.

Police would not say how her body was transported to the trash bin.

A search at Kent County's waste-to-energy facility on Market Street involved 70 officers and federal agents, as well as a state police cadaver dog. They sifted through more than 200,000 pounds of garbage.

The cadaver dog was not effective in sniffing out evidence because "there's too much there," Capt. Jeff Hertel said of the overwhelming smells.

Grand Rapids Police Chief Kevin Belk announced that Jozlynn Martinez died during a Friday press conference.The plant takes in 150 trucks of garbage a day. Authorities said they were able to identify the pile of garbage from the truck that would have picked up trash from the Dumpster Jozlynn's body reportedly was put in.

Police don't know if her body is still at the facility, or if it has been incinerated. Ninety percent of the garbage taken to the facility is burned.

During his arraignment today in Grand Rapids District Court, Malmberg was ordered held on a $1 million bond as District Judge Jeanine LaVille called him an "extreme danger to public safety."

Consuela Martinez, the girl's mother, said Thursday she believes Malmberg took the toddler to punish her for asking him to leave the home they'd shared for 1 1/2 years.

Martinez said she was concerned about bruises she had seen on Jozlynn.

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/9827/jeffreymalmberg.jpghttp://img534.imageshack.us/img534/9103/jozlynnmartinez.jpg

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2010/02/man_tells_police_he_threw_body.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,663 • Replies: 19
No top replies

Mame

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 12:35 pm
What is with this rash of baby killings lately? I just don't understand it. They're happening with increasing frequency, it seems, at least if you listen to that hag, Nancy Grace. But really, it's terrible.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 12:51 pm
@Mame,
Quote:
What is with this rash of baby killings lately?

the Great Recession. Here in America the safety net was mostly shredded over the last 30 years, so families and individuals are extremely stressed and often without an easy path towards assistance even when they seek it out. Domestic violence and abuse go way up when times get tough.

It does not excuse individuals from such behaviour, nor does it excuse the collective from turning a blind eye to how poor societal organization contributes to individuals becoming mentally ill.
aidan

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 12:59 pm
@hawkeye10,
Give me a break. Look at that guy's face. He took his girlfriend's toddler and he threw her in the trash because he was angry that the girlfriend asked him to leave- and he looks at the camera as if to say, 'So what?'

I, as part of the collective of which you speak, refuse to be responsible in any way for this idiot's behavior. I don't turn a blind eye to poor societal organization and this idiot wasn't suffering from the effects of poor societal organization when he took this little girl and used her as a pawn to get back at his girlfriend for damaging his ego by rejecting him.

And actually, I just read something - I can't remember if it was in the US or UK that said the murder rate has gone down during this recession - not up as had been forecasted.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 01:06 pm
@aidan,
reports are down, which I contend is due to the unwillingness of victims to report when it is now well known that the state will be heavy handed, and will likely put the family into the criminal justice system. The cost/benefit evaluation result re reporting is now is firmly in the direction that reporting is a bad move because the costs far out weight the benefits.

The science that abuse goes up when families are stressed is solid. As is the proof that post Great Recession families are extremely stressed.
aidan

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 01:12 pm
@hawkeye10,
Reports of murder? How can a victim report their own murder? I'm not talking about reports of abuse within families - what I read referenced that actual murder rate.

If this guy's behavior was due to mental illness (which is a whole different issue- is anyone who is so narcissistic and violent that they can take another life mentally ill by definition - I don't know) his mental illness was present long before this recession started.

This sort of **** makes me absolutely sick. I am so sick of children (and so many times it's little girls) being preyed upon by idiots like this.

There's definitely something at work in this guy that trumps any influence society has on his behavior.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 01:25 pm
@aidan,
Quote:
If this guy's behavior was due to mental illness (which is a whole different issue- is anyone who is so narcissistic and violent that they can take another life mentally ill by definition - I don't know) his mental illness was present long before this recession started

Anyone who can bring themselves to kill their own kid, or their girlfriends kid, is mentally ill.
Quote:
Reports of murder? How can a victim report their own murder? I'm not talking about reports of abuse within families - what I read referenced that actual murder rate.

domestic homicide rates are very poorly reported in America, but the evidence is that they are up, not down
Quote:
FBI figures indicate law-enforcement agencies throughout the nation reporting a decrease of 4.4 percent in the number of violent crime offenses for the first six months of 2009, compared with the same period in 2008. The violent crime category includes murder, forcible rape, robbery and aggravated assault.

Nationwide, FBI statistics for 2009 show a 10 percent decrease in murders.

However, what FBI reports didn't, and don't, track as a separate category, as it does with so-called hate crimes, are the total number of domestic violence homicides and suicides, including children and co-workers who are caught in the crossfire.
furthermore
Quote:
Why the Violence?
The reasons behind the increased violence?

Brian Namey, communications director at the National Network to End Domestic Violence, says distress from the economy doesn't create batterers but has caused an dramatic increase in both frequency and severity in "all corners of the country."

"It's like pouring gas on a fire," Namey said. "The economy doesn't cause it but it can make it worse. There's a much higher demand for services and funding has decreased."

Namey said shelters and state coalitions across the country have been reporting dramatic increases in not only increased homicides-suicides but also overall more requests for services.

and furthermore domestic violence shelters are now closing because of lack of funding caused by the Great Recession.
http://www.womensenews.org/story/domestic-violence/100216/streets-may-be-safer-relationships-not
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 03:49 pm
@aidan,
aidan wrote:
Give me a break. Look at that guy's face. He took his girlfriend's toddler and he threw her in the trash because he was angry that the girlfriend asked him to leave- and he looks at the camera as if to say, 'So what?'

Maybe he's looking at the camera like an innocent person who is freaking out because police say he murdered someone.

He may well be guilty, but never ever ever trust the police.
aidan

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 05:11 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
I just can't live that way Oralloy.
djjd62

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 05:15 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

i couldn't agree more

i bet amanda knox killed that little girl Shocked
oralloy

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 06:39 pm
@aidan,
aidan wrote:
Oralloy wrote:

I just can't live that way Oralloy.

Trusting the police leads to supporting the conviction of innocent people.

I just hope I don't end up on this guy's jury. The odds are pretty small that would happen, so I should be safe. They'd have to move the trial, and choose my location to move it to. And then I'd have to be called for jury duty. Unlikely either would happen, much less both at the same time.

But I'd rather set myself on fire than be responsible for convicting an innocent person.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 06:40 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:
amanda knox

A great reason why we should never trust the police.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 01:55 am
Grand Rapids police 'confident' Jeffrey Malmberg's dumped 2-year-old girl's body in trash

By John Tunison | The Grand Rapids Press
March 01, 2010, 8:32PM

GRAND RAPIDS -- As Consuela Martinez clings to the thought her 2-year-old daughter Jozlynn might still be alive, police say there is little chance.

They believe Jeffrey Malmberg's story about putting the dead girl in a dumpster near the home he shared with Martinez, his live-in girlfriend.

"We are confident the story he gave us about putting her in a particular dumpster is accurate," Grand Rapids police Capt. Jeff Hertel said.

Police would not say why they believe Malmberg, but officers did collect surveillance video last week from a store at 704 Stocking Ave. NW, at the corner of Stocking and Fifth Street.

The owner of Family Pantry, Richard Kado, said the video is focused on the store's parking lot. A dumpster sits behind the store. The location is about two blocks from Martinez's residence at 915 Nagold Street NW.

Police did not tell Kado what they found on the video, which covered Monday night into Tuesday morning.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2010/03/grand_rapids_police_confident.html
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 02:41 pm
Detective says Jeffrey Malmberg suffocated Jozlynn Martinez, 2, by kneeling on her

By John Tunison | The Grand Rapids Press
March 04, 2010, 3:19PM

GRAND RAPIDS -- Prosecutors today issued a second-degree murder warrant against Jeffrey Malmberg, the suspect in the disappearance and suspected death of 2-year-old Jozlynn Martinez.

Malmberg, who is the live-in boyfriend of the girl's mother, Consuela Martinez, admitted to pinning the girl against the ground with his knee and applying pressure until she stopped breathing, a police detective testified today to obtain the criminal charge.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2010/03/detective_says_jeffrey_malmber.html
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 06:53 am
Quote:
On Monday, Malmberg's father spoke to Newschannel 3 from his home in Florida.

In an interesting conversation, Bob Malmberg was very frank about his son, saying that he can be downright mean and can't be trusted.

“It bewilders me to no end that something like this would happen,” said Bob.

Bob Malmberg told Newschannel 3 that his son, Jeffrey, has significant attitude problems, going all the way back to his school days at Big Rapids High School. Bob said his son always wanted revenge, but Bob never dreamed his son would be involved in something like this.

“I am not too happy, no,” said Bob. “I never thought he would go to, get mixed up in whatever he's mixed up in there.”

Bob says he hasn't spoken to his son in more than two decades. The two were estranged after Bob turned his son in for stealing money at age 18. Bob said his son was a habitual liar as a young man, and that police are going to have to be very tough to get the truth out of him.

http://www.wwmt.com/articles/rapids-1373252-liar-0in.html
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 04:24 am
Found guilty and sentenced to 30 to 90 years.....

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2010/11/jeffrey_malmberg_sentenced_to.html
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 05:15 am
@oralloy,

aidan wrote:
oralloy wrote:
Maybe he's looking at the camera like an innocent person who is freaking out because police say he murdered someone.

Good advice !

David
PUNKEY

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 04:19 pm
I used to help out at an outreach center.

I can't tell you the times I heard a mother tell me that her "boyfriend watches her kids" while she works.

One gal didn't even know the guy's last name!!!

These women who bring these guys into the home without knowing them - or even if they know them - with NO job, NO car, NO money - are asking for it. Watching toddlers is exhausting and these guys are in no shape to "father."

The handwriting was on the wall with this jerk. She just didn't choose to read it.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 05:14 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
oralloy wrote:
aidan wrote:

Good advice !

David

I still don't know what to make of this case.

If I hope the girl is still alive, and the guy only confessed because the police beat it out of him, I'm hoping for an outcome where another innocent person is in prison.

If I hope the guy is really guilty, so there isn't yet another innocent person in prison, then I'm hoping for an outcome where the girl is dead.

I hate it when I can't even hope for a happy outcome.

It gave me a bad feeling from the moment I saw the Amber alert during the Vancouver Olympics.

I'm just glad that I didn't have to be one of the jurors.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 02:04 am
@oralloy,
Relax; its OK, because your hopes have no effect
upon the outcome. Therefore, u can hope whatever u want
and then just watch the resolution of the situation.

David
0 Replies