2.1 to hit the droid in a day or two

linmk2

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 12:37 pm
@cmacv,
Not much as been said recently about the 2.1 OTA release date. Any new news?
The Chief

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 04:38 pm
@linmk2,
January 22nd is in a few days. Could THAT be it? :confused: We can only sit here, caress our Droids, and hope.

It is my understanding that a small OTA will be sent out to pave the way and get the Droids ready for the 2.1 upgrade, so there will actually be TWO updates sent out. Apparently the prep OTA is already going out, although I have yet to see it and I have a first-day Droid.
BucYouUp68

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 05:34 pm
@The Chief,
I have not got the so called Pre Update Either, the word on the street is soon.
YankeeDudeL

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 12:43 am
@BucYouUp68,
..Most seem to be connecting the most current update with the patch for Facebook. I did not receive an update, but was able to DL the most recent Facebook from the Market. Most who hadn't received an update were unable to do so, receiving an error message
YankeeDudeL

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 12:45 am
@YankeeDudeL,
If it helps, I also have a first-day Droid. 41-09
0 Replies

Guit4rG0d

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 12:48 am
@cmacv,
I didnt get a facebook update, and not sure witch one it is on the market
YankeeDudeL

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 12:34 pm
@Guit4rG0d,
Guit4rG0d;2035 wrote:
I didnt get a facebook update, and not sure witch one it is on the market

It's the "Facebook for Android" app. The key is the version number. The stock app is version 111, the new version is 112. It appears like a separate app, but I think it's an add-on. If you go to Settings > Applications > Manage Apps > Facebook, you can see what version number you have (should be 111). After DLing the "patch" (I guess that's what you'd call it), you'll see that the version has changed to 112.
The Chief

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 04:48 pm
@YankeeDudeL,
WOW, Facebook doesn't even show up on my list, but the widget's on my screen. :confused:
Guit4rG0d

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 04:52 pm
@The Chief,
The_Chief;2061 wrote:
WOW, Facebook doesn't even show up on my list, but the widget's on my screen. :confused:

same here, but i Installed it anyway
prob because the Droid came with facebook integrated into the phone, and wasnt an actual "App"
The Chief

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 09:15 am
@Guit4rG0d,
It's dated January 12, but it's a great article about the new features we can expect - SOON - with Android 2.1:

ARTICLE HERE

Let's hope that tomorrow is the big day! Very Happy
The Chief

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 09:40 am
@The Chief,
According to Android Guys, we have already gotten the first OTA update - invisibly!

ARTICLE HERE

I know I didn't get any notification, so it must have been a pretty sneaky update... if it really happened...
0 Replies

linmk2

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 02:59 pm
@cmacv,
I am looking forward to the update, whenever it might happen. Funny, till I got the Droid, I've never concerned myself with such things as updates. As long as I could make and receive calls, I was happy.
jstwondrng

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 10:23 pm
@linmk2,
Yeah, but I have to say... The anticipation is great! Killing me slowly, but great... lol! Btw, never did get that manditory update. I'm guessing it was only for Facebook app owners.
The Chief

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2010 04:35 pm
@jstwondrng,
From another place on the Internet:

"Motorola posted this on Twitter and Facebook: 'Guys, we're sorry; we know you are excited about 2.1 updates to your Moto Android-based products, but we can't comment on official timing. We promise to update you as soon as we can!'"

Apparently there are a couple of bugs in the final version and they want a perfect release before they send it out.

So January 22 comes, and January 22nd goes. And 2.0.1 lives on... :rolleyes:
0 Replies

Guit4rG0d

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2010 10:52 pm
@cmacv,
Sad day Sad
YankeeDudeL

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2010 11:28 pm
@Guit4rG0d,
A user on Android Forums suggested that 2.1 should come out on 2/1/2010. I thought that was great.
0 Replies

linmk2

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 03:20 pm
@cmacv,
While I was looking forward to the update, to be honest, as far as I can tell there was nothing written in stone that the Droid's OS was going to be updated on Jan. 22. Everything out there was posted as a rumor. While the 2.1 update provides a number of cosmetic enhancements, as far as I can tell, other than the ability to speak in all text fields, not much else is added to the Droid's functionality. So our Droids are like a beautiful woman without makeup. They still look great, but the makeup enhances the appearance. We will get the "enhancement" in good time. Now we must wait.:rolleyes:
The Chief

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 07:42 pm
@linmk2,
Kind of like gift-wrapping a Porsche. Completely unnecessary. But I DO look forward to the new gallery.
0 Replies

Guit4rG0d

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 07:44 pm
@cmacv,
They do have it in the market for free. I've had it for a month or so now.
Guit4rG0d

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 11:02 pm
@cmacv,
http://gadgethobby.com/android-2-1-gallery-app-for-motorola-droid/