Ex Iphone User - Motorola Droid Review

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 10:32 am
This will be a faily intensive review of the motorola droid from an ex-phone user. Im going to need some time to compile images as well as video of my review.

Stay Tuned:

Simple Review: The motorola droid delivers and for any iphone users not to give it some credit you are just in denial. Very Happy All in honestly it beat my expectations by at least 150%.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,053 • Replies: 6
No top replies

BucYouUp68

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 05:24 pm
@Droid Motorola,
I never fell for the Iphone, as I was always a BB user. What I can tell you is this phone is the best phone i have ever bought. The BB blows it doors away with battery life, but the BB was not a smartphone. All in all, this phone is purely amazing.
0 Replies

hazydave

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 11:58 pm
@Droid Motorola,
I also did not bite on the iPhone Apple, despite literally being surrounded by these things... work, family, they're everywhere.

I had been fairly content, if not overwhelmed, with my Palm Treo until last fall, when it died on me... keyboard failure. I knew it was not time to buy a new smartphone, so I managed with a replacement, a $2.00 no-name flip-phone. Until Friday, of course.

The iPhone had some coolness about it, but it took away the things I liked in the Treo: interchangeable battery (I have several, and actually use them), removable flash memory (I had a 16GB SDHC card in the Treo), and real keyboard. Oh, and that little open development thing... I actually had a C development system for the Palm, I could write my own apps, sell them even without Steve Jobs' permissions, etc.

The DROID is here, and it's better in every possible way so far than the Treo. It was pretty obvious that the old PalmOS was long in the tooth and destined for replacement, but I long since stopped even worrying about a Palm upgrade -- they had proven too slow and unwilling to offer even some easy updates. For example, while the upgraded the Treo to support SDHC, they wouldn't upgrade the Palm TX for SDHC, even though it used the same CPU as the Treo (700p). At least with open source, I could fix the problem myself if neccessary. Hmm... I wonder if the DROID will support microSDXC cards...
0 Replies

darebrokenheart

Reply Sun 8 Nov, 2009 06:44 am
@Droid Motorola,
What are the differences of the OS of and Android vs winmobile, rim and apple's OS? Is it better or equal?
0 Replies

droid him

Reply Sun 8 Nov, 2009 10:14 am
@Droid Motorola,
I am also moving over from an IPHONE. I have owned WM (Tilt) IPHONE (3G, 3GS), and now the droid (testing). I bought from bestbuy and i am now putting it thorough its paces for myself before i decide whether or not to take it back. I read a lot of the reviews and to be honest because the iPhone has such a large install base i think some of the reviews are a little biased.

I've been on the iphone since the 3G, so here are some differences i have noticed after just one night of use.

-Speed...is roughly the same on both devices so all the devices that say android are sluggish...BOOO!!!
- the keyboard. I really dont need it but when you are typing it does allow for more screen realestate then have the keyboard cover up half the screen
- Apps - initally i was like 100K apps so what. Now that i am looking through the android store i notice the difference. Aside from the fart burp poop apps there were some useful ones. Right now im searching for a good fitness app, diet tracker app, news app. The android apps arent as robust as the iphone apps. One the games graphics are better for the iphone apps
- Google integration is a big plus. It to about 15 secs to have all my contacts from google setup. I works with picasa, email, calander contacts. All which sync easily. This is the same functionality the mobileme provides...only free. I will have to close my me account if i chose to keep it.
-Maps app seems to be faster on the droid.
-Camera...i have been having pretty good success taking pictures...even in complete darkness. zooming into photos doesnt make it all distorted. You can upload directly to picasa
- Accessories for the iphone is outrageous...everyone has an accessory. I know with time the droid will have the same but for now i am having trouble finding a good case. Stopping by verizon today to see what they have.
- The last thing is itunes...allows for music, app, and more important PODCAST sync. i am searching for a good podcast app. Working on beyondpod and doggcatcher both which seem to be promising. Dont see a good solution for music syncing. Maybe WMP but cant seem to get it to work.
- Well this is the last thing which i found funny. So i jailbroke my iphone so that i could get SBsettings on it. SBsettings allows you to cut stuff on and off quickly without having to navigate through the twenty different places on the iphone. This was the only reason i used to jailbreak my phone...well other too but that was a big one. Anyway...the droid has that same bar out of the box!!! No jailbreaking needed.

So after one days use im bout ready to turn in my iphone and pay the 175 term fee. Will probably make a decision tonight after i go to verizon store. Feel free to ask question about stuff you would like to compare between the two. I also have a work treo with WM6 on it. Interface makes me sad so i rarely use it.
0 Replies

Droid Motorola

Reply Sun 8 Nov, 2009 11:03 am
@Droid Motorola,
Welcome aboard him. Glad to see another similar user to myself with the same thoughts. Im paying my cancellation fee as well. The good thing is the iphone resale value is still pretty high.
0 Replies

droid him

Reply Sun 8 Nov, 2009 04:01 pm
@Droid Motorola,
Im giving mine to my wife...she has the old 3g so she will get the 3gs...Oh just solved one of my problems...Motorola has sync software for the droid on their site.
0 Replies