I am also moving over from an IPHONE. I have owned WM (Tilt) IPHONE (3G, 3GS), and now the droid (testing). I bought from bestbuy and i am now putting it thorough its paces for myself before i decide whether or not to take it back. I read a lot of the reviews and to be honest because the iPhone has such a large install base i think some of the reviews are a little biased.
I've been on the iphone since the 3G, so here are some differences i have noticed after just one night of use.
-Speed...is roughly the same on both devices so all the devices that say android are sluggish...BOOO!!!
- the keyboard. I really dont need it but when you are typing it does allow for more screen realestate then have the keyboard cover up half the screen
- Apps - initally i was like 100K apps so what. Now that i am looking through the android store i notice the difference. Aside from the fart burp poop apps there were some useful ones. Right now im searching for a good fitness app, diet tracker app, news app. The android apps arent as robust as the iphone apps. One the games graphics are better for the iphone apps
- Google integration is a big plus. It to about 15 secs to have all my contacts from google setup. I works with picasa, email, calander contacts. All which sync easily. This is the same functionality the mobileme provides...only free. I will have to close my me account if i chose to keep it.
-Maps app seems to be faster on the droid.
-Camera...i have been having pretty good success taking pictures...even in complete darkness. zooming into photos doesnt make it all distorted. You can upload directly to picasa
- Accessories for the iphone is outrageous...everyone has an accessory. I know with time the droid will have the same but for now i am having trouble finding a good case. Stopping by verizon today to see what they have.
- The last thing is itunes...allows for music, app, and more important PODCAST sync. i am searching for a good podcast app. Working on beyondpod and doggcatcher both which seem to be promising. Dont see a good solution for music syncing. Maybe WMP but cant seem to get it to work.
- Well this is the last thing which i found funny. So i jailbroke my iphone so that i could get SBsettings on it. SBsettings allows you to cut stuff on and off quickly without having to navigate through the twenty different places on the iphone. This was the only reason i used to jailbreak my phone...well other too but that was a big one. Anyway...the droid has that same bar out of the box!!! No jailbreaking needed.
So after one days use im bout ready to turn in my iphone and pay the 175 term fee. Will probably make a decision tonight after i go to verizon store. Feel free to ask question about stuff you would like to compare between the two. I also have a work treo with WM6 on it. Interface makes me sad so i rarely use it.