Keypad... your thoughts? lets hear them

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 10:34 am
Alright im sure this will be the number one question for all new droid owners.

So far i think all the tech site reviews really made a big deal about the keypad being hard to type and how crappy it was. Its not so bad.

Im actually starting to like the keypad and once you get use to how it types its pretty slick. Im sure one of the reason for the bad reviews is most of the reviewers are comparing it to the blackberry where you use your thumbs to type. On the droid you use the tip of your thumbs to type.

The dialpad is awesome in terms of surfing the web.

I do have to say the vertical touch keypad seems to be bunched together making it hard to type but theres an app for that...

So lets hear it... how do u like the keypad so far?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,300 • Replies: 13
No top replies

BucYouUp68

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 10:39 am
@Droid Motorola,
I like it, but have become quite fond of the on screen keyboard. I have never used a onscreen keyboard before, so it is kinda cool.
The Chief

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 10:44 am
@Droid Motorola,
The keypad is functional at best for me. But I'm so addicted to the predictive text that the Droid offers up onscreen that I can hardly tear myself away to use the keypad! I can enter whole words with just a few letters and a click!

The keypad is not as bad as the critics made it out to be. Shift and Alt locks work well, as does the d-pad for going back and correcting stuff ( which I get to do often:rolleyes: )
0 Replies

YankeeDudeL

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 10:47 am
@BucYouUp68,
Coming off the Dare, I figured I'd use the virtual keyboard more, but I actually prefer the hard key. And let's not forget all that real estate it frees up on the screen.
0 Replies

iamthewinnar

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 10:50 am
@Droid Motorola,
The hardest thing so far for me to get used to has been the fact that there is no dedicated row for numbers (like on my LG Env) The spacebar being in the middle throws me a little too, I end up hitting Alt instead of space a lot.

It's also taken some getting used to using a slider, I find T Y and U irritating to reach, especially with the body glove (I'm used to my thumb over hanging the buttons a little) I definitely type a lot slower on this then I did my Env. But I am sure after some time I will be back up to speed.
0 Replies

Droid Motorola

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 10:52 am
@Droid Motorola,
Oh yeah forgot about numbers. Its hard for my fingers to reach those while pressing alt. I use the onscreen touch for long inputs of numbers.
kbmagic

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 11:37 am
@Droid Motorola,
Best of both worlds...

I really like having the 'real' keyboard, but I also like the auto-complete in the on-screen keyboard(s). I'm very glad I have both.

I'm a blackberry convert so I was already very attached to a real keyboard, so far I find myself using real vs on-screen about equally.
0 Replies

droid him

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 04:15 pm
@Droid Motorola,
Im coming off the iphone so i dont use it all that much. Horzontal virtual keyboard is somewhat comparable to the iphone but vertical keyboard iphone blows droid away. If they didnt have that directional pad in teh freaking way i woudl use the hardware keyboard a bit more. I still use it though. I could take it or leave it.
0 Replies

The Chief

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 04:25 pm
@Droid Motorola,
webmaster;731 wrote:
Oh yeah forgot about numbers. Its hard for my fingers to reach those while pressing alt. I use the onscreen touch for long inputs of numbers.

If you hit ALT twice it locks for long strings of numbers. Same with hitting SHIFT twice it goes to shift lock until you press it again.
0 Replies

mclarryjr

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 02:18 pm
@Droid Motorola,
There is a slid out keyboard? LMAO I just use the screen keyboard I much faster that way.
Hammerofthegods

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 02:54 pm
@mclarryjr,
Mr "fat thumbs" here and I have had no problems. the top row can be hard to fully touch, but I have none of the problems with the slim keys. I just came off a env2 and this one is not that much harder. I also love the fact that the backslash and the @ keys have their own key without shifting first.
0 Replies

AndyDroid

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 08:36 pm
@Droid Motorola,
I really THOUGHT I was going to prefer the QWERTY keyboard, but I am finding it a bit tricky. I either don't hit the letters hard enough, so they don't register, or I hit them too hard and they register TWICE. The more I use the onscreen keyboard, with the predictive text entry, the more I like it.
0 Replies

tolah76

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 09:09 pm
@Droid Motorola,
My issue is that because I'm trying to be so careful on the QWERTY, that I end up hitting the screen with one of my other fingers, which then sends it to a different page.
Luckily, the Back Button returns me to the right page, and my previous typing is still there.
AndyDroid

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 08:27 pm
@tolah76,
About a week now since my post #12 and I'm finding I like the onscreen keyboard more and more. I don't think I've actually slid open the QWERTY keyboard for a few days now...
0 Replies