Cult leader with 23 wives finally arrested

Ionus

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 09:24 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
Tibetan fraternal polyandry comes to mind as an example
Yes, I have an embarrassing experience of it. But to start a cult and convince men to be your husbands, has that ever been done before ? It strikes me as something never attempted by women.

So girls, be the first in your street to start a cult and marry several men. Why you would bother is a different matter.
Green Witch

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 09:28 pm
@Ionus,
Quote:
It strikes me as something never attempted by women.

When women go crazy we collect cats. We never get so crazy that we would start collecting husbands.
0 Replies

Always Eleven to him

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 10:09 pm
@sozobe,
IMHO, I think you've struck half of the equation -- social isolation and neediness in the person who joins the cult. The other half is the sociopath who manipulates to satisfy his or her own ego.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 10:16 pm
@Always Eleven to him,
Quote:
IMHO, I think you've struck half of the equation -- social isolation and neediness in the person who joins the cult
and yet the flds women all have cell phones and drive, and most are computer literate, these being the same women who are supposedly in male enforced social isolation.

In truth many if not most join the cults because they dont like what they see and experience in the mainstream world, they want something different, and think or at least hope that cult life is better than what the masses do.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 10:28 pm
@sozobe,
Yeah...I certainly came across lots of people who were in various of these things...Ananda Margha is one that comes to mind, as a beloved shared a house with one of them.

It's odd, because I would see my then self as highly susceptible to cult recruitment, but I always felt very creeped out by them, all of them.

I think it was the happiness thing....you know, peace, love and brown rice and lots of smiles and eternal warmth.

It made me want to run.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 12:01 am
Seems to me that the "harem syndrome" is a common phenomenon amongst some animals and is still not uncommon amongst humans. No doubt some sort of "selfish gene" mechanism can be evoked which underpins this variant of "social reality". The argument that "social reality" has a priori status with respect to concepts of "self", also seems relevant to this issue.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 01:48 am
Cult leader with 23 wives finally arrested...

do they mean he is finally having arest ??
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 10:31 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
The charismatic founder is a staple in cults.

Yes, Master Robert. I'm sorry that I've forgotten your bank account number. But the laundry is done.

PS: Where is the prize you promised me for being the 100,000 person to join A2K?
0 Replies

greengreen

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 03:36 pm
@Region Philbis,
Hello all,

This is my first post. I am kind of a cult fanatic. Anyone out there know any good books (fiction/nonfiction) on cults????

Thanks

0 Replies