So. California Wildfires - 3400 homes and counting

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 10:41 pm
The Santa's Village I remember was in Scotts Valley between San Jose and Santa Cruz. We used to pass by on highway 17 on our way to the Monterey Peninsula. Haven't seen it for several years, because we usually go by way of Prunedale where my brother-in-law lives.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 11:22 pm
That's the one I remember too, CI. It went out of business while I was still in my teens I believe.

My best memories of it were the teacup rides and feeling like my head was going to be ripped from my shoulders by the centrifical force from spinning around in that cup for so long and so fast!

Looks like there is indeed a Santa's Village near Lake Arrowhead. Here's a website with lots of pictures of it.

http://www.kenlarson.net/code/photsv.htm

And I just found a website with the history of the Scotts Valley Santa's Village. Ahhhh, the memories. I miss places like that and the old Frontier Village. Remember that one too, CI?
http://www.santasvillage.net/history.htm
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 11:29 pm
Yes, I think I remember Frontier Village. Didn't they also have a train ride? It was a neat place, even for adults.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 11:51 pm
This site should bring back some memories for you then.

http://www.frontiervillage.net/pages/history.html

We visited Frontier Village long before ever getting to go to Knotts Berry Farm and I think I liked the smaller Frontier Village better in those days.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 12:22 am
WOW! Thanks.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 03:36 am
Looks like they are getting a handle on the fires thanks to the colder weather and light rains. Most of the fires are contained or near full containment.

Fire fighters are still greatly concerned because another round of Santa Ana winds is forecast for next week. They're rushing to create as many firebreaks between burned and unburned areas as possible before the winds have a chance to fan smoldering embers back into raging fires.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 12:03 pm
Much cooler weather and rain has helped tremendously, but much damage has been done. Those firemen performed heroically, and needs to be recognized for their hard work and sacrifice.
0 Replies