Rainsoft "Q2" *2 - Gallons Used stuck a zero - Why?

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 11:44 pm
What could be the cause for *2 - gallons used since last regeneration to stay at 0 (zero) on my Computerized "Q2" Water Treatment System? As a result, regeneration does not start because it dosn't know when 2/3 of capacity is used. Thanks for anyone's help on causes and possible fixes. Self fix or dealer?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,881 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Joethewaterguy

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 06:02 am
@markd2000,
usually because the blue flow wheel isn't turning. it's under the clear sensor on the left side of vavle(looking at the unit) in the round chamber. run some water while looking at it and see if it spins.
markd2000

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 09:39 am
@Joethewaterguy,
Joe (or other experts). You were absolutely correct. I found the chamber underneath a rubber cap on the left side and while running water, the blue water wheel was stationary. Now my next question. Is there a way for me to attempt a fix? I noticed a white wire going into the clear cover (probably to the sensor) and a silver clip around the outside parameter of the clear cover. Do you know what the likely causes would be for a stuck water wheel and are they fixable? Would be nice if it was something simple like a small grain holding the wheel. Please send me step-by-step procedure to fix if you think it is managable. I'm very good with most mechanical fixes, but I'd like to know what I'm doing before I tackle a project. Thanks again in advance!!! Mark
Joethewaterguy

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 10:18 am
@markd2000,
there is pressure so , bypass the unit, relieve the pressure in the system, hold the drain tab open to remove the pressure, remove the retaining ring, (silver clip) a groove in the brass housing holds it in place. pry the clear sensor out very carefully,so you don't crack it. the blue water wheel lifts straight up, off of the spindle, use a green scotch pad, nothing real abrasive to clean the spindle , replace the wheel and verify that it spins freely. put it all back together.
markd2000

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 11:03 am
@Joethewaterguy,
Thank you Joe. Two quick follow-on questions before I start. First, can you tell me exactly where the drain tab is located so I can relieve the pressure. And second, is it the pressure that keeps water from leaking around the clear sensor or is their a caulking material required when I put it back together? Thanks for all your help...looks like a pretty simple fix. Mark
Joethewaterguy

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 11:23 am
@markd2000,
drain tab is on the right,where the drain line to the sewer connects. you could just turn off the water into the house open a sink valve till nothing runs, then bypass the unit and turn the water on again. there's an oring in a groove in the housing that the sensor slips into preventing a leak. oh yeah, unplug the unit first, common sense thing I forgot to mention.
0 Replies

Joethewaterguy

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 02:17 pm
@markd2000,
stuck on zero is better than being stuck on stupid, not that you are, just wanted to add a little humor , did you get it fixed?
markd2000

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 03:32 pm
@Joethewaterguy,
Joe....you are a GENIUS! I've got it fixed and the blue wheel is flying like a free bird. Turns out there was some corrosion on the post and a bit inside the wheel. You saved me $100+ for a pretty simple fix. My only improvise was to take square off the points on my needle nose pliers with my Dremel. That way I could get a firm grip on the retainer clip. And the sensor still works...*2 now shows gallons used. I'm neither a ZERO nor Stupid, thanks to you!
markd2000

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 12:38 pm
@markd2000,
Hi Joe, it's me again with a different topic. Since you are the Waterguy, I thought I'd ask a question about our hot water heater. It is a A.O. Smith ProMax Model FCGT50 and has a 48 gallon capacity. Seems like we don't get as much hot water these days even though the temperature is set at the highest level. When we fill a bathtub, water is cold before it is filled? My brother mentioned sediment? Your thoughts, trouble shooting and potential solutions would be much appreciated.
Joethewaterguy

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 11:35 am
@markd2000,
I don't have a clue about water heaters but if it's electric, one of the elements might need changerd. usually the upper I think.
0 Replies

jbarnes

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2015 01:42 pm
@Joethewaterguy,
Hi Joe, found this post as I was looking for a what to do about the same problem. The only difference is that the flow wheel is working like a charm but the gallons used is still stuck on zero. Any suggestions?
0 Replies