What is this context?

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 09:33 am
Which same word linked "Archie" in 1956 "Harry" in 1960 and Lucy in 1972?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,542 • Replies: 8
No top replies

sophocles

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 07:35 am
This is proving extremely difficult to solve. Any suggestions. They are olympic years e.g siblings? . Film /TV Characters? Nicknames of Symphonies?
puzzlesRus

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 08:14 am
@sophocles,
So far you have asked TEN questions from the current Great Brain Quiz and Great Fun Quiz.
sophocles

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 08:27 am
@puzzlesRus,
So what, this is what these sites are for! I think you will find others are doing the same thing on yahoo and yedda. I don't have a problem with it.
Setanta

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 08:44 am
No, this is not what "these sites" are for--it is simply a happy coincidence for people like you that people like us will sometimes help you accomplish what you are obviously unable to accomplish employing your own, native resources.
puzzlesRus

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 10:06 am
@Setanta,
Well said Setanta. The organiser of the quizzes has asked that 'these sites' ie ones where direct answers are given are not used. He has no problem with sites where hints only are given.
0 Replies

flashof2worlds

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 04:50 am
@sophocles,
It would be hypocritical for anyone to suggest they don't use the internet to get answers to GBQ and GFQ, but I think the main issue I have with doing it this way is the sheer laziness of it. More pertinently, what are you seeking to achieve if someone publishes an answer? After all anyone else who's struggling and searching for the answer will most likely find your post. These quizzes are not the commercial company promotional sort where the chummy "competitors-corner"-types revel in sharing the answers and all sending the (they hope) correct answer for the capital of France so they've all got a chance of winning the Tefal Ice-Cream Fryer. These are, at the risk of sounding really pompous, more intelligent than that; it seems to me to go against the spirit to continually ask for answers because you can't be bothered to do the goolegwork. Anyway, 'nuff said, I won't engage in a debate. And, btw I have an answer to the above question which took me a while to find but which fits very well. I was going to give you a further cryptic clue but then I realised you'd just wait for someone else to interpret it.
sophocles

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 10:48 am
@flashof2worlds,
Go on give us a cryptic clue if you know the answer!. As a matter of fact I have spent a considerable time doing the googlework, but cannot figure it out. Am I just stupid or is this a really tough question?
newbyquizzer

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 11:33 am
@sophocles,
No, Maybe, Yes and No.
0 Replies