air america grounded

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 05:03 pm
In a statement to employees of the New York-based network, Air America's chairman, Charlie Kireker, wrote: "It is with the greatest regret, on behalf of our Board, that we must announce that Air America Media is ceasing its live programming operations as of this afternoon, and that the Company will file soon under Chapter 7 of the Bankruptcy Code to carry out an orderly winding-down of the business.

djjd62

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 05:06 pm
what took so long, shouldn't this have happened at least 2 years ago
dyslexia

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 05:17 pm
@djjd62,
yeah
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 05:23 pm
I used to love flying Air America. I enjoyed the adrenaline rush of hanging on for dear life.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 05:38 pm
@NickFun,
Quote:
I used to love flying Air America. I enjoyed the adrenaline rush of hanging on for dear life.

Nick are you confessing your past as a CIA Spook? Wink

Quote:
Air America, an airline secretly owned by the CIA, was a vital component in the Agency's operations in Laos.

https://www.cia.gov/library/center-for-the-study-of-intelligence/csi-publications/csi-studies/studies/winter99-00/art7.html

http://www.vietnam.ttu.edu/AirAmerica/Best/AirAmerica.htm
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 05:46 pm
I don't know why liberals can't do hate radio, but apparently we can't.

I guess we will just leave it for the conservatives.

maporsche

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 05:54 pm
@ebrown p,
It wasn't for lack of trying....have you ever listened to Randy Rhodes, Mike Malloy, The Young Turks, Sam Seder, Janeane Garafalo, Roseanne, or Rachel Maddow?

Some of the most hateful words I've ever heard spoken on Radio from about 2004-2008 (when I listend often).
dyslexia

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 06:09 pm
@maporsche,
I wasn't a listener but the Lady Diane was, I (while in her car listened) didn't find all that much hate language but lots and lots and lots of spin, certainly as much spin as right-wing radio. I didn't find air america to be credible.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 06:19 pm
@maporsche,
What's your problem with Rachel Maddow?

I love Rachel Maddow. She is witty, entertaining and very intelligent.

I understand why people are upset by The Young Turks (who I don't enjoy). It seems like you are just randomly attacking any liberal voice.
Green Witch

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 06:24 pm
I listened a couple of times and thought that if I wanted a bunch of crazy distortions and humorless rants I'd turn on Rush et al. I listen to lefty programs like Alternative Radio on NPR, but Air America was not how liberals, or even moderates, want to get their information. Let's leave the hate mongering and spin to the conservatives.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 06:42 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

It seems like you are just randomly attacking any liberal voice.

Randomly? Are you aware of what that word means?

Maddow, on AA radio between 2004-2008, was one of the most hateful people on radio.

There are plenty of liberal talk radio hosts who I didn't include, either because I didn't listen to them or I didn't find them to be hateful.

There is nothing random about my list.
djjd62

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 06:46 pm
it always sounded like bad college radio to me

most of the hosts seemed like they'd be more comfortable blogging than speaking on the air
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 06:46 pm
@dyslexia,
I never heard it. Ok, from the back of Diane's car, but I can't hear back there. Just noise.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 06:48 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:

Maddow, on AA radio between 2004-2008, was one of the most hateful people on radio.

Give me an example of a specific hateful thing she said.

I have only seen her show on MSNBC, which is not hateful at all (unless you consider Jon Stewart hateful).

Quote:
There are plenty of liberal talk radio hosts who I didn't include, either because I didn't listen to them or I didn't find them to be hateful.

An example here would be interesting too (of some liberal talk radio host you didn't find hateful).
georgeob1

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 07:41 pm
@ebrown p,
I generally don't watch much TV news but I did tune in Tuesday night to catch & compare reactions to Brown'r expected win in the Massachusetts election.

MSNBC with Kieth Oberbearingman and Rachel Maddow was a bit startling. I had never heard Oberman before and was startled to hear him recite a litnay of epithets and slanders about Brown and declare him "the worst person in the world" (Is this a regular feature?). Maddow (who looks a bit dykey) struck me as a doctinaire progressive who had a very hard time thinking outside her doctrinal channels. She is articulate and well spoken and she rolls her eyes well. Beyond that I didn't see much evidence of superior intelligence. Indeed she had a very hard time grasping what by now is the conventional interpretation of the election.

Overall, apart from stylistic differences not very different from Hannity or Rush Limbaugh for that matter.
dyslexia

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 07:45 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Overall, apart from stylistic differences not very different from Hannity or Rush Limbaugh for that matter.
Yeah total ****, different barn.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 08:00 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Maddow (who looks a bit dykey)

Gob1, ever the ignorant schmuck.

Quote:
... struck me as a doctinaire progressive who had a very hard time thinking outside her doctrinal channels.

That's you, Gob, in a nutshell. It's be pure pleasure to see you lined up one on one with Rachel Maddow. She would rip you to shreds, your faux intelligence exposed, your shallowness and ignorance [see comment above] laid bare.
Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 08:17 pm
As usual, I don't know what any of you are talking about. Air America? An airline? A radio network? A website? What?
djjd62

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 08:19 pm
@Merry Andrew,
it's a floor wax and a dessert topping
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 08:40 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
MSNBC with Kieth Oberbearingman and Rachel Maddow was a bit startling.

I watched for the first time on election night, too. CNN was running Larry King and didn't even have the results scrolling on the bottom of the screen. I wasn't too surprised and some of it was even amusing. MSNBC might be next, though, since they've never shown a profit. GE doesn't seem to care, but Comcast is more of a bottom-line type company and if that deal goes through, I could see them making some definite changes. They were also close to the bottom in the cable ratings race that night. Hardball was dead last with less than a million viewers. Interesting.
0 Replies